This is coming soon (TM) to MD (Jerry's in NY State)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPQM

May 21, 2014
    So hum.

See attached.

This is inevitably coming to Maryland for weapons on Form 77R once they become "double plus ungood." through future legislation either at the federal or state level.

Attachments

• SuffolkFirearmConfiscation.jpg
      SuffolkFirearmConfiscation.jpg
      105.6 KB · Views: 1,271
    • SuffolkFirearmConfiscation2.jpg
      SuffolkFirearmConfiscation2.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 1,246

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    A little explanation would have been helpful.

It sounds like the company thinks they found something that complies with the letter of NY and Federal law, evades the NY 'Assault Weapon' ban, and the NY authorities disagree.

http://www.deltaleveldefense.com/ct4-2a-other-firearm

23 December 2017

RE: Definition of an Assault Weapon / Specifications Defining DLD CT4-2A as an OTHER FIREARM

To Whom It May Concern:

The State of Connecticut’s/ State of New York’s Department of Special Licensing and Firearms Unit defines an Assault Weapon as the following:

Any semi-automatic centerfire rifle, regardless of the date produced, that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following features: 1) A folding or telescoping stock; 2) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, thumbhole stock, or other stock that would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing; 3) A forward pistol grip; 4) A flash suppressor; or 5) A grenade or flare launcher. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has: 1) a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition; or 2) an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Furthermore, the ATF Defines an “AOW”, Any Other Weapon, as:

Any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive; ​A pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell;​ Weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading; and Any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire.

The CT4-2A DOES NOT under any circumstance fall under the definition of either an Assault Weapon or an AOW. Below are the follow characteristics defining the CT4-2A as an “OTHER FIREARM”.

Is NOT a Rifle as it does not have a buttstock. Features a spineless cylindrical tube that does not allow for any rifle buttstock to ever attach.

Is NOT a Pistol as it has a Forward Vertical Grip.

Is NOT a Pistol SPECIFICALLY under CT/NY Law as the MINIMUM barrel length is 12.5”. CT Defines a Pistol as have a barrel length of 12” or Shorter,

Is NOT an AOW, as it over 26” in overall length, and features a vertical forward grip.

Should you have any further questions, comments and or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. Do not contact your retailer.

Respectfully,

Ryan J. Gisolfi, C.P.S. & President

From the pics and description, it is an AR pattern firearm which has a rifle length barrel (so not a pistol under the NY legal definition) and a pistol brace, and a pistol buffer tube to which a stock cannot be attached (so not a rifle under the NY legal definition, and therefore not an assault weapon).

I hope they win just to piss NY off, but I wouldn't want to be a test case.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    A little explanation would have been helpful.

It sounds like the company thinks they found something that complies with the letter of NY and Federal law, evades the NY 'Assault Weapon' ban, and the NY authorities disagree.

http://www.deltaleveldefense.com/ct4-2a-other-firearm

From the pics and description, it is an AR pattern firearm which has a rifle length barrel (so not a pistol under the NY legal definition) and a pistol brace, and a pistol buffer tube to which a stock cannot be attached (so not a rifle under the NY legal definition, and therefore not an assault weapon).

I hope they win just to piss NY off, but I wouldn't want to be a test case.

Sounds to me like what they refer to as “other” in Connecticut. There is a gun tuber I watch that is from there. It’s an oddball of a gun, that’s for sure.

Reezie

Aug 18, 2020
    so the gun shop was selling a gun deemed illegal by the state of new york and jerrys still sold the firearm to ny residents.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Where did "the list" come from and how did Suffolk County "legally" attain said list?

ATF forms they are required to maintain throughout the entire time they are in operation and then sent to the ATF after they close. They have an entire warehouses of these forms.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I know the procedure, but my question still stands. When did this particular gun shop close? Since when did Suffolk county have legal access to ATF records?

I believe the ATF (like most federal agencies) will cooperate with any legitimate police force conducting a criminal investigation.

Privacy laws usually have this exception.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I know the procedure, but my question still stands. When did this particular gun shop close? Since when did Suffolk county have legal access to ATF records?

I believe the ATF (like most federal agencies) will cooperate with any legitimate police force conducting a criminal investigation.

Privacy laws usually have this exception.

Yeah, not exactly rocket science.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As likely when they were criminally charged, the police executed a search warrant on the premises of the FFL. At which time police seized the 4473s and copied them. Hence the letters.

To me the dickish part is it sounds likely the local police are asking ALL customers to present any guns they bought. To me that is ridiculous. I don’t take the point of view that any guns are illegal, but it would be one thing if the letter told the person “according to Jerry’s records you purchased X firearm on Y date. It is NY’s position that said firearm violated NY law. We are requesting you present said firearm to Suffolk police within 15 business days, blah, blah, blah”. Now maybe police are only targeting buyers of the specific firearm, but if so, why the vague date? Because they didn’t want to customize the letter? Well they could still say WHAT firearm it was. What if someone bought 10 guns from them during that time?

How would the public react if police sent a letter to every customer of a pharmacy that sold some drugs illegally, “we see you received prescriptions for X pharmacy between these dates. Present your drugs to use within 15 days or we will prosecute you”.

I’d contact police and tell them I have a hazy memory I did buy SOMETHING from them. But frankly I buy so many guns legally that they’ll need to tell me EXACTLY what they’d like me to present to them for inspection as it was awhile back. If they can’t tell me, “well sorry. You can ask for a search warrant and I’ll fully comply, but I am not bringing the entire contents of my gun safe to you so you can look through my guns”

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    I'd like you all to extrapolate the recent BATFE proposed regulations on pistol braces with the already existing database of handguns that MSP maintains through electronic form 77Rs.....

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    How can a Federal agency “cooperate” with something that isn’t Federal law?

What Federal judge approved a federal search warrant for a non federal investigation? Especially of a questionable state policy.

This stinks of tyranny. Apparently we don’t have to fight registration lists anymore, they are already in place and being used.

Where is Muleskinner? Maybe he has a plan.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    How can a Federal agency “cooperate” with something that isn’t Federal law?

What Federal judge approved a federal search warrant for a non federal investigation? Especially of a questionable state policy.

This stinks of tyranny. Apparently we don’t have to fight registration lists anymore, they are already in place and being used.

Where is Muleskinner? Maybe he has a plan.

Read my above, most likely police obtained a search warrant for the premises. The 4473 were either physical present at the FFL, or in their electronic records. No federal cooperation needed.

But, if you want to go that route, there is a federal nexus also as the FFL (if true and violated state law) is violating ATF regulations by selling firearms that violate state law. ATF regulations and the law are VERY clear that as an FFL you cannot transfer firearms to individuals who may not receive them. Under state law, the police believe the firearm involved violates state law, therefor the FFL transferring said firearm to anyone within the state of NY, violates state law and the action of transferring it also violates FEDERAL law. So the ATF has involvement. Like it or not.

I think it is all BS, but there isn't much connecting of dots needed, the ATF is involved because of the way federal law and ATF regulations are written, full stop. But in this instance, I don't think it was needed. Only if the FFL had already closed its doors and mailed all of their 4473 to the ATF would they need to be involved in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom