• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I think remote working and maybe some day self driving cars will add some population and income infusion into small towns like many in WV. This is a good thing in my opinion as long as it happens gradually.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The 2020 census numbers won’t really reflect the beltway ex-pat and rural second home phenomena that exploded because of COVID. It’s not going to make up for 3% of what I’m sure are mostly younger people seeking greener pastures.

I’m surprised at the percentage of broadband-having households, but the people that don’t are going to be everyone that lives more than a few blocks outside of the bigger towns. Services like Starlink are going to be game changers, that way. No good connectivity = no higher income people spending locally, housing locally, opening more businesses locally, etc.

I expect the 2030 census, if the Republic lasts that long, will tell a very different tale, especially in the eastern part of WV.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The 2020 census numbers won’t really reflect the beltway ex-pat and rural second home phenomena that exploded because of COVID. It’s not going to make up for 3% of what I’m sure are mostly younger people seeking greener pastures.

I’m surprised at the percentage of broadband-having households, but the people that don’t are going to be everyone that lives more than a few blocks outside of the bigger towns. Services like Starlink are going to be game changers, that way. No good connectivity = no higher income people spending locally, housing locally, opening more businesses locally, etc.

I expect the 2030 census, if the Republic lasts that long, will tell a very different tale, especially in the eastern part of WV.

Hopefully as we are losing another House seat. I don't think the state lost population so much as it became flat in relation to other states. I guess better than an exodus like CA & NY.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I lived in Barbour County in the late 1990s. The drop in coal mining is the biggest factor in population decline n WV. Just in Barbour county, there were about 3000 mining jobs in 1990, by 2000, that was down to about 300. Transportation issues, education, opioids, and welfare all play into the issues of maintaining young people in the area. When I was there, internet was dial up, cell service wasn’t. Byrd, for all his failings, actually did a lot to improve the transportation picture in WV. I-79, Rt 33, Rt 50, the airport at Clarksburg were all made possible by his work in the Senate. I agree, until high speed internet is available throughout the state, population will likely continue to decline. Cities and towns like Grafton, and so many others will still be sad towns withe the majority of the stores boarded up.

We are currently looking to relocate out of MD, and Jefferson or Berkeley counties are the more likely locations given the proximity to transportation, lower taxes, and more reasonable regulations on a host of issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    That's the risk of a economy hitched to energy extraction. It's not just the jobs in the mines, for every miner there are 5 other jobs that depend on the mine.
    The other aspect is general deindustrialization in the wake of NAFTA and the rise of china in manufacturing. You can wind electrical motors in Mexico, no need to do it in some small WV city.

Yet at the same time, if companies try to relocate to WV, the biggest problem (outside of finding a flat place to build) is that of hiring. Everyone is old and few of the young who are left can piss a clean urine.

The only places growing are Berkeley in the DC bubble and Morgantown around the university. Yet we keep electing coal barons as governors ;-)

As for the pandemic effect: I doubt that will last. All those will be second homes two years from now.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    Yet at the same time, if companies try to relocate to WV, the biggest problem (outside of finding a flat place to build) is that of hiring. Everyone is old and few of the young who are left can piss a clean urine.
    This is why P&G & Quad are starting new hires at over $20/hr straight out of high school if they can pass a whiz quiz.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    This is why P&G & Quad are starting new hires at over $20/hr straight out of high school if they can pass a whiz quiz.

And those who can commute some ways for those P&G jobs. Those who go off to college only return if they work in the .gov sector like teaching.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    The really sad thing, when I lived there Walmart was the largest employer. There is no way you can have a sustainable economy when the largest employer is a cut rate retailer selling junk merchandise to its own employees!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Are people leaving to find dental care?

You’re thinking of the UK, baby.

7D708637-1424-4AF6-A390-2C77B8937233.jpeg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Other than the Kanawha valley around Charleston , WV Cities are in the literal sense of being incorporated and over 1,000 population . Other than arguably greater Charleston area , there aren't any urban areas in the East Coast Memegalpolis context . Mind you , I'm not saying that's a bad thing .

Growth areas will be East Panhandle and I-81 corridor becoming exurbs of DC , and North Panhandle and north central border counties becoming Pittsburg exurbs .

Some people want to live in large metropolitan areas . Some people want to live in rural and small towns .

People who move to , or stay in WV , do so because they Want to live in rural / small towns where life is slower , more relaxed , and less expensive . If they want to live in busy metropolitan areas , they have already moved there .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom