• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Hello,

I would like to get 4 solar panels installed on my garage roof.

I do not a want to hook the panels into the grid. I just want the cables terminated in the garage. I want to build the rest of the system myself for educational purposes.

The big solar companies in the area are not interested in this sort of work.

Does anyone know of an installer who can do this for me?

I live in Milton.

thanks,

Jon

Off_paper

Apr 30, 2021
    AACo
    If you're not grid-tying, are you intending to have them hooked into a charge controller for batteries? As you've experienced, you might have trouble finding a company interested in such a small installation, especially if you aren't going to be buying an inverter/batteries from them.

That said, I believe 21st Century Solar Solutions has an office somewhere on the eastern shore:
    https://21cps.com/

I personally used Sustainable Energy Systems, and had Celestial Solar Innovations as my backup contractor, but both are out of Frederick, so it might not be worth the drive to them for such a small system. Both were excellent though, and I have no issue recommending either.
    http://www.sustainableenergysystems.net/
    https://www.celestialsolarinnovations.com/
    That said, I believe all three are relatively small companies, and might be willing to bite.

cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Yes, I intend to have them hooked up into a charge controller. Yes, so far companies have not been interested. I would install free standing myself but my HOA is requiring a roof mount. I will try 21cps...perhaps they are close enough to be interested.

Thank you for the help.

Anyone else with suggestions?

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    May be a longshot, but what about a roofer?

It seems like you can do the electrical yourself, but the mounting is really all that needs to be outsourced.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    SolarPod-plug-and-play-rooftop-solar-889x577.jpg

If it's just a few panels, maybe you can rig a frame like this. No holes through the roof.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    great idea if they are heavy enough.

Out here in the hollow, a good gust would have that and gone.

I live down the bottom of a valley, if you will, and we have some hellacious winds thru here in the fall and winter.

Last time, it tore the siding off the north end of my house.

I'd have to mount that array. Great looking, BTW!

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    What happens when a big gust of wind turns it into a sail?

That's a commercial product, so I'm guessing they've thought of that.

I think it's low enough on the roof that wind doesn't pick it up. Kind of like a leaf stuck on your wiper doesn't fly off even at 75mph (hurricane winds).

For just a few panels, I'd fabricate a frame just to test things out.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    How much would a few panels like that do? Im curious

4 panels like the OP wanted would prolly generate between 400-800w. Feed that into a charge controller and 100ah (trolling motor) batteries and you should have enough to keep your handheld devices powered for an extended period.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Kind of like a leaf stuck on your wiper doesn't fly off even at 75mph (hurricane winds).
    That leaf stays there cause you don't want it to. If that was a $10 bill it would fly away in a heartbeat!

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Putting this in off-grid is not a difficult DIY project. Because you are installing it on a residence, you need to check for any permits you may need and you may be required to have a licensed electrician do the installation to make sure that it meets all the electrical code rules. That is certainly a requirement when you are connecting to the grid. The panels are available through either Home Depot or Lowes. They are not in stock, but you can order through them. You first need to find out how much power you will need from the panel. For a battery controller, I recommend a MPPT controller. Wiring should be done with the solar 10 gauge wire and MC4 connectors. You will need a crimper to install the MC4 connectors and a tool to seperate the MC4 connectors. That is industry standard. Panels can be attached with Z-adapters secured to the roof with deck screws or similar. These provide an air gap between the panels and the roof to control heat from the panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom