• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I need to pull the hires on the camera to confirm. Looks small. Tail is bushy. But the coat coloring looks more like a coyote.
    eU2yR0H.jpg

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Coyote. Noting also the size, he looks possibly young to me. Eastern Coyotes are usually bigger, often a lot bigger, than their Western cousins. Reason being they have significant amounts of wolf and dog DNA. This is no longer considered a myth, they've done DNA studies. Theory being coyotes mated with wolves in the northern Midwest as they slowly migrated east, and the wolves allowed it because their own numbers and mating opportunities were so reduced at the time (and because dogs will generally hump anything, anytime lol). Average wolf DNA in Eastern Yotes runs around 30% and dog DNA around 10% by one study. Biologists have actually talked about having the Eastern Coyote named a different taxonomic species but it hasn't happened yet.

Another giveaway for red foxes I have seen are the black fur patches on the backs of their ears. Red foxes seem to keep that even when they get mangy, at least from what I have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom