• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I've had foxes bed down 40 yards away waiting for me. I had one sniff the blood trail before before I could even get down from the stand.

it's not luck.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Purely from recent experience, unless not confident on shot or bad looking arrow would be looking tonight.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Stick a "nice" buck in the heart with a knife? Take it from someone who has finished off his share of deer with a knife, DON'T EVEN TRY THIS ON A BUCK WITH ANTLERS!!!

yeah ok good point. I've never had to do this on a buck just does. could be risky, lol.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Should have called the DNR police and they will assist you. They will have better chances in contacting landowner and asking to trespass to get deer. My grandson had to do it last year as he wounded a deer with a crossbow. The deer crossed a second property also and they followed the light blood trail and retrieved it. That deer will be no good to eat tomorrow and bloated and stinking.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I shot a deer in a field. Walked 300 yrds or so to drive my truck back to the deer.When I popped over the hill there was a fox chewing on the deer's ass.I would guess 15 mins from shot to the fox finding the deer.I have always wondered if the fox was responding to the gun shot or just pure luck?

Im convinced they learn to hang out near hunters because of the various opportunities be it squirrels over bait, gut piles and the grand prize - first dibs on a deer.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Should have called the DNR police and they will assist you. They will have better chances in contacting landowner and asking to trespass to get deer. My grandson had to do it last year as he wounded a deer with a crossbow. The deer crossed a second property also and they followed the light blood trail and retrieved it. That deer will be no good to eat tomorrow and bloated and stinking.

Call DNR and they always help retrieve. They want to ensure the harvested animal is not wasted.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you want, you can call DNR to ask advice. One time I called and they said go and get it.
    Another time it went into property that had posted "no trespassing signs" and they said not to go onto property.

This.

Ask DNR. If you are unable to secure permission, they very well may have an NRP officer come out to retrieve/help retrieve the animal.

Depending on the situation, if the property is not posted, I'd take a "gee I didn't know I'd wandered over" attitude and be apologetic. That said, if one here runs, it is on a 1.5-4 acre property of one of my neighbors. So I am going to ask permission unless it is "out of sight" and just over the property line. I've asked most of my neighbors and they are cool about it. But if it ends up 3 properties down, well I am not asking everyone in my neighborhood about it until it becomes a problem (which I kind of had to do opening day when I had a liver/gut shot on a doe that ran 4 properties down).

But if there was a serious risk of trouble by pursuing, I'd call DNR/NRP.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    On my lands I know I would appreciate it for the person that finds out who to contact before just traipsing on in to retrieve a deer.
    I'll go get it and deliver it to that person if the need be, makes for a much more amicable relationship when things are done the right way.

Thats what I would do. Find out who to contact and get permission.
    Its not like everyone that has a cell phone or FB or tweeter account shoved up their ass is hard to get in contact with in the first place.

The other thing is, knowing full well sometimes deer things don't always go as planned there is almost always more than ample time to get permission beforehand.

A simple hey man, I'm deer hunting over here and if I need to get one can I get up with you? Yeah sure here's my number whats yours? If You cant get a hold of just leave a message before you go in but I want you to call these two first.
    Dont go in until everyone knows whats up. We have some stands in there that some guys are hunting you got it? They may already be in there. O.k no problem. I have a white truck or sometimes we take my buddies and its blue.
    Let me know if you need anything. Sound good thanks.
    No big deal.

group shooter

Nov 14, 2021
    Glen Burnie
    On my lands I know I would appreciate it for the person that finds out who to contact before just traipsing on in to retrieve a deer.
    I'll go get it and deliver it to that person if the need be, makes for a much more amicable relationship when things are done the right way.

Its not like everyone that has a cell phone or FB or tweeter account shoved up their ass is hard to get in contact with in the first place.

The other thing is, knowing full well sometimes deer things don't always go as planned there is almost always more than ample time to get permission beforehand.

A simple hey man, I'm deer hunting over here and if I need to get one can I get up with you? Yeah sure here's my number whats yours? If You cant get a hold of just leave a message before you go in but I want you to call these two first.
    Dont go in until everyone knows whats up. We have some stands in there that some guys are hunting you got it? They may already be in there. O.k no problem. I have a white truck or sometimes we take my buddies and its blue.
    No big deal.

Good advice that’s how our group handles it

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    +1, I know the neighbors who hunt/own 3 adjoining parcels. The 4th… I’ve tried to contact multiple times. Unsuccessfully.

It’s good to make the effort before hand so you have someone’s phone number if you need it NOW

No big deal.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    There are ways to get info on property owners ahead of time. Lots of app, Maryland also has the real property search website.
    If the owners don't live on the property, you can find out address of the owner
    https://sdat.dat.maryland.gov/RealProperty/Pages/default.aspx

If I read it correctly, the OP's Friend's problem was that the property was probably owned by a development company and they'd be unlikely to respond during non-business hours. If there's active development underway, I'd suspect that they'd turn down an a priori request due to potential liability, which is absolutely their prerogative. In our old development (last house), they were pretty strict about it, even in the as of then undeveloped phases that hadn't been touched aside from some initial work to run utility lines.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Good afternoon

We went after light Sunday and didn’t spend anytime searching, just followed the sounds of the Turkey Vultures. Every TV in the southern part of the county was feasting away. Even if he searched the night before, he would never have located him. VERY minimal blood and he thought the buck ran a different direction from where the TV’s were feasting.

Very poor shot on the deer, point of impact was between the right rear leg and rib cage. Arrow traveled through deer and about 10” sticking out of the left shoulder, just below the spine. A large portion of the intestines ended up exiting the deer overnight. Assume the smell attracted the TV’s. In such a short time, they enjoyed their self.

Yes, the property is owned by a developing company, they are putting up mucho money houses with 2-3 acre homes.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Good afternoon

We went after light Sunday and didn’t spend anytime searching, just followed the sounds of the Turkey Vultures. Every TV in the southern part of the county was feasting away. Even if he searched the night before, he would never have located him. VERY minimal blood and he thought the buck ran a different direction from where the TV’s were feasting.

Very poor shot on the deer, point of impact was between the right rear leg and rib cage. Arrow traveled through deer and about 10” sticking out of the left shoulder, just below the spine. A large portion of the intestines ended up exiting the deer overnight. Assume the smell attracted the TV’s. In such a short time, they enjoyed their self.

Yes, the property is owned by a developing company, they are putting up mucho money houses with 2-3 acre homes.

I think you guys made the right decision to go looking for the deer the following day. No idea if you actually obtained permission from the landowner or not, but that would have been a good idea.

I represented somebody once for trespassing on PEPCO property when he was looking for a deer. The property was definitely posted "No Hunting". Just not worth the headache in my book. Just another reason why bow hunting on a small piece or property SUCKS. Gun hunting on a small piece of property can suck too if you do not make a good shot.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    If it was me, I would just go over and get it. If its a developer, the owner is a faceless corporation, not the construction crew. Secondly, unless you are in sight of a house, just go get the dmn thing and drag it back to the spot of the shot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom