• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Thanks everyone. I'm not too beat up over it, just feel a little guilty for shooting something over 20-25 pounds of meat.

Lesson learned. Headed back out next week, hopefully I'll get a monster.
    Lol. Or just keep shooting the little ones. Eventually your freezer will be filled.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’ve read and watched a few things about deer management. Best practice is to take does of all age groups so getting a young one is part of the deal. Good luck on your next trip.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    It should for the evening hunt. If it slows a bit tomorrow, the deer should be on their feet. They gotta eat sometime...

Just came back from checking some bait piles......
    If we cant hit em' with a rifle by coming out they'll be so starched up and stiff legged we can mebbe just walk em down if were lucky.

Small Corn Pile.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    So that's how you get yer deers so big...

:D

Thought you would find that funny.

My oldest son wants to set me up on one of his spots. It's a long straight tractor road in some woods he has.
    I haven't been hunting with him in a long, long time.

He told me to take my 270 because he's been seeing some decent deer and all that. ( it has a scope on it)You can shoot pretty far and the winds always good back in there he wants me to get a wait on one of these big ones he's been chasing around.

Anyway I said no, I want to take this Krag sporter I like to fiddle about with and Ill probably shoot the first one I see in case I get tired standing or something.

He got all huffy and himming hawing around about me messing around all the time with these old junk guns and what not about not being serious anymore. I kept calling him TBO (The big One)

I kept messing with him until he left out with his buddy who could tell I was just giving him a good ribbing. We were all laughing in the room but he didn't see it from being all worked up.

Anyway, a little while later he called me up and said he went to the store somewhere to Salisbury and found some sort of folding chair he's going to carry out there and make sure I dress warm enough its going to be windy, but may not be a whole lot moving.

I told him that wind don't mean shit unless its real cold out and make sure you set that that bitch up so my neck don't get sore having to look away from the sun when it comes up. :lol:. And make sure you have some coffee and something to eat for us before heading out.

He said man, your a frickin jerk. What time are you going to be here in the morning?

So we can get back in there early and bring a good rifle you can see a ways with if you have to.

I'm excited about going and so is he. Maybe between the two of us we'll be all TBO if we're so fortunate enough to be blessed from above. But even if that's not the case we'll be out there giving it our best no matter what the hell happens.:thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thought you would find that funny.

My oldest son wants to set me up on one of his spots. It's a long straight tractor road in some woods he has.
    I haven't been hunting with him in a long, long time.

He told me to take my 270 because he's been seeing some decent deer and all that. ( it has a scope on it)You can shoot pretty far and the winds always good back in there he wants me to get a wait on one of these big ones he's been chasing around.

Anyway I said no, I want to take this Krag sporter I like to fiddle about with and Ill probably shoot the first one I see in case I get tired standing or something.

He got all huffy and himming hawing around about me messing around all the time with these old junk guns and what not about not being serious anymore. I kept calling him TBO (The big One)

I kept messing with him until he left out with his buddy who could tell I was just giving him a good ribbing. We were all laughing in the room but he didn't see it from being all worked up.

Anyway, a little while later he called me up and said he went to the store somewhere to Salisbury and found some sort of folding chair he's going to carry out there and make sure I dress warm enough its going to be windy, but may not be a whole lot moving.

I told him that wind don't mean shit unless its real cold out and make sure you set that that bitch up so my neck don't get sore having to look away from the sun when it comes up. :lol:. And make sure you have some coffee and something to eat for us before heading out.

He said man, your a frickin jerk. What time are you going to be here in the morning?

So we can get back in there early and bring a good rifle you can see a ways with if you have to.

I'm excited about going and so is he. Maybe between the two of us we'll be all TBO if we're so fortunate enough to be blessed from above. But even if that's not the case we'll be out there giving it our best no matter what the hell happens.:thumbsup:

That sounds like a good time B, whether you guys see TBO or not.

And if you don't, you'll both be able to blame each other the rest of the day. :D

Good luck brother! :)

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    2E9D4791-29EA-4342-9CD0-0BD47C7A6A39.jpg

26E752BE-276F-45AB-9087-E14FD562F668.jpg

Just got home from West Virginia, hunted the first week of firearms there with family.
    Killed a 7 point out there. Not a bad first week for our group. Cousin’s 12 year old grandson shot a spike, his first buck.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Got a Bambi down. It’s small but perfect for filling the freezer. Sadly, no sika on the camera this year

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I haven’t heard so much as a single shot all morning- and my cameras have lots of deer just only between 1930-0545. Almost all are motion blurred and in pairs (buck and doe). With this wind I’m packing it in for the morning

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I haven’t heard so much as a single shot all morning- and my cameras have lots of deer just only between 1930-0545. Almost all are motion blurred and in pairs (buck and doe). With this wind I’m packing it in for the morning

Just packed it in as well. I am on the opposite side of a ridge from public hunting land. Usually opening day activity in the pumpkin patch drives them over to this side. I only heard one shot from that direction around 0730. Usually, there there are between 5-10 shots within the half hour straddling sunrise. Might venture back out this afternoon if the wind dies down a bit.

ETA: The only activity that I saw while out was three large fox squirrels very actively chasing each other. Looks like the winter breeding season is officially on for them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am planning to head out early afternoon and sit for the evening. Hopefully I didn't disturb the hell out of my patch of woods, but I finally got an automated feeder and hung it late yesterday. I am planning to take out saplings and clear the forest floor to try to grow clover and winter wheat as the main show, but no chance of that this season. So a cheap hanging feeder (about 7ft off the ground, going to adjust it higher later, going to try to get it about 10' of the ground, but that is as high as I could get it yesterday). Though my experience with my rural residential neighborhood is disturbing the deer is at best a temporary thing. More worried this new thing hanging up in a tree changes the pattern of that big 9-pt I've been seeing sometimes. But I'll be hunting him the next couple of weeks before I head to Greenridge for the last couple of days of gun season. I'll keep on him till deer season closes at the end of January.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Saw a glance of 7 does and 2 4points. They deer wouldn’t come my way. To far out. I’ll go back out between 2-5. Hears lots of shooting though.

I’m on private land but part of my shooting g lane is public land on a leased field. Soon as light came up i see i guy on what i believe is public land 100 yards away. I’m sure we both thought F**K lol. If that was 60 yards south he coulda killed all the deer i saw.

Lololol I’m leaving it like it is. Typed that with freezing fingers

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom