• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I never had good luck in wind

I got a doe a few years ago on a super windy day. Spine shot her at about 85yds. Otherwise I’ve seen maybe half a dozen deer on windy days with no prayer of a shot on them. Way less than non-windy days

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The wind has calmed down a lot for this evening in Carroll County. Combine is out in the last field now its sent a couple does out across the fields scurrying out of its path but nothing thats provide a shot yet.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Deer dont necessarily lay down in the wind. They actually are spooked and cant get a good scent or hearing. Tthey usually are moving around from the chaos. Two years ago on the opener day of muzzle loader season it was very windy. I sat for a few hours after sunrise and decided to walk quietly on the edge of the woods where it met the cut down corn field. I was stalking slow and looking into woods as I moved. I finally got to the end of the woods where its grassy and a river runs. Two 8 pointers must have heard me a little somehow but didnt know I was right even with them. Tthey stepped out into the field on a trot and acting uneasy. I immediately shot the lead buck in the neck as they were both sideways.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Seen several more but couldnt get shots. Now that all the corn is down deer should really hit the fields hard the next couple of days to clean up whats left.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Went out at 545 and walked to the stand. My son took the double stand with his girlfriend. I went and actually sat in a chair against a tree and waited.
    A small group of seven came by. Sighted one up, pull the trigger and nothing. Racked another round and nothing. Both rounds were very light strikes. Not sure wTF was going on so I picked up. Went in and got my Socom and heard my son shoot.
    He got a coyote (45lbs).
    I got a cup of coffee and took this picture out my kitchen window.

Bastards!!!

They are mocking me.

Son ended up with two does and I got the wind in my hair for the day

Attachments

• 4F5C5502-E435-426F-90F3-B115530079C4.jpg
      4F5C5502-E435-426F-90F3-B115530079C4.jpg
      94.3 KB · Views: 167

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Got a double tonight. Thankful to have that meat in the freezer. The 6.8spc got it done once again

Attachments

• 53E00C76-2E0F-4D22-894C-04ECC3BCFF79.jpg
      53E00C76-2E0F-4D22-894C-04ECC3BCFF79.jpg
      141.1 KB · Views: 164
    • 3DDEAE2A-6505-4DDF-AA48-B56C36250818.jpg
      3DDEAE2A-6505-4DDF-AA48-B56C36250818.jpg
      135.9 KB · Views: 154

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Saw one small doe this morning,I passed.Left the stand at 10.At 11.30 the landowner texted me.12 deer came passed my stand....doh!!!

This eve I saw the same small doe and a groundhog

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Skunked this afternoon too. All told I heard one (1) shot all day, where I’m at is almost entirely farm land in every direction for at least a mile that is hunted pretty consistently (but reasonably).

Realized my folks put their scarecrows back up to ward off geese (facepalm); convinced them to take them down.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Got a decent 8-Point in the backyard.

Dropped him with my 91/30 PU Sniper about 100+/- yards away.

Attachments

• 2D792D2D-4490-4278-A95C-658824DB9999.jpg
      2D792D2D-4490-4278-A95C-658824DB9999.jpg
      72.4 KB · Views: 186

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice buck, Brian!

I had about a dozen squirrels running amok until the wind quieted down around 4. About 4:15 a button and an almost spike came in near my stand. I Let them walk. Looking for the big boy of the neighborhood (9-pt with a moose paddle).

I heard a bunch of gun shoots a bit after sunset. Most towards Hugg Thomas. A couple towards some of the farms nearby.

It was nice seeing some deer come in to about 10yds and hang around for about 20 minutes without getting spooked. They finally crossed my creek and a couple minutes later my feeder went off and spooked them off about 60yds. Eventually they headed back towards the park and a herd of does walked by the edge of my neighbor’s woods on the other side of the creek right at last light (I think about 8 or 9 of them).

Changed the feeder to 3:30pm from 4:45. I know they’ll need to get used to it as it’s only been up a day. But what are good feeding times? I’ve seen mid day. And I’ve seen anything from an hour before sunrise to and hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset to mid day.

It was set to 6:40am and 4:45pm. I changed it to 6:30am and 3:30pm. The former on the assumption that if I am getting in my stand vaguely close to shooting light, if anyone is getting spooked I’d already be clomping through the woods a few minutes before that this time of year. And the late afternoon feed so it might not spook anyone moving mid day, but early enough before sundown anyone coming by for an evening feed/movements might not get spooked.

Attachments

• 4AC6BE5F-4042-4C11-816E-50D99B6B3250.jpg
      4AC6BE5F-4042-4C11-816E-50D99B6B3250.jpg
      146.8 KB · Views: 187

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Went out at 545 and walked to the stand. My son took the double stand with his girlfriend. I went and actually sat in a chair against a tree and waited.
    A small group of seven came by. Sighted one up, pull the trigger and nothing. Racked another round and nothing. Both rounds were very light strikes. Not sure wTF was going on so I picked up. Went in and got my Socom and heard my son shoot.
    He got a coyote (45lbs).
    I got a cup of coffee and took this picture out my kitchen window.

Bastards!!!

They are mocking me.

Son ended up with two does and I got the wind in my hair for the day

I know the feeling. Nothing this AM aside from watching a few fox squirrels jockeying for position in their breeding season. Was inside having lunch and my neighbor across the street texts about a potentially nice buck corssing and hanging out in a thicket between my place and the road, likely headed for where my blind is set up. Booked it out there. It apparently bedded down before making the turn to my blind.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    We had the fewest hunters we’ve ever had and only took 3 does and a nice 8 pointer

I saw at least ten deer and I took a running shot at a wide buck and hit a gum tree lol

Everyone saw lotsa deer except my uncle who didn’t see a thing

Nice day

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom