• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    You should hunt with me. All I keep seeing is the same little button buck...:rolleyes:

I've got a resident BB that I see every time out. I keep telling myself "4 more years...".

I've passed on a LOT of deer so far this year. Been waiting on a big buck. Come next week though I'm going to start plugging a couple of does, assuming they cooperate.

I still have a lot of meat in the freezer from last year, so I've been in no real hurry to fill it further.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Damn you V! :lol2:

I think I'm suffering from first cast skunk. I've both seen this and experienced it myself. You know, when you catch a fish on the first cast, then the rest of the day you're skunked? I shot one deer on my first hunt of the season and now I go bupkis. I'm too stupid to quit though...:o

Lol. I hear you. I won’t lie. It isn’t just the big buck I want to get that keeps me coming out here. I want to tweak my setup and practice sitting still in my stand and “dry firing” at deer (well, aiming at them with my crossbow) to practice lining up shots without spooking them. Plus I want one more before the end of the season as I had that bad shot on the opening day doe. I recovered her, but I am still kicking myself. I’ve relaxed about it a ton more, but I won’t complain about “proving” to myself it was a fluke and my marksmanship is still fine on one more deer before the season closes.

I’ve got plenty of proof it is. But still, having a good shot after a bad one helps my confidence.

Plus I saw that big buck a ton for two weeks and now nada! Either he moved on. Some truck hit him. Maybe another hunter (unlikely where I am, unless maybe he wandered in to the park 3/4 of a mile away) or he is nocturnal around me. I haven’t pulled game camera pictures in a week or so. I’ll probably do that Sunday.

I’ll for sure give up any hopes on him if by Christmas he isn’t showing up on camera anymore.

Some too, I am waiting for behavior to change with the seasons. Get more daytime movement of bucks foraging to bulk up their fat again, not looking for hot does coming in to heat late.

Plus later in December and January is when I typically get daytime parades of deer walking through my woods. Of course sometimes they are on the other side of the creek…

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also I’d rather shoot another doe come late season if no big bucks come by. But I likely won’t be picky if I’ve given up hope on that 9-pt after Christmas.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    My nephew got this great looking 8pt this morning. He went old school with a Winchester 94 in .45LC with 250gr +P.

PXL_20211203_131438147.jpg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My nephew got this great looking 8pt this morning. He went old school with a Winchester 94 in .45LC with 250gr +P.

View attachment 328689
    I was going to do a "FTFY" on the Winchester 94 - typically it's the Model 92 that fires handgun cartridges, but I looked it up and apparently there is a model 94 in 45 LC.

I learn something new every day.

Nice looking buck!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I saw three does at 265 yards today. That was all. And all I have are buck tags. Very slow day.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In! I was supposed to go this afternoon, but got out of work too late.

Well it seems I am to be plagued with this baby buck all season. He was back under my stand tonight. Mind you, this was the fourth stand site he's shown up at. I see him tomorrow, his ass is grass! He's all yours if I grease his little punk ass.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well it seems I am to be plagued with this baby buck all season. He was back under my stand tonight. Mind you, this was the fourth stand site he's shown up at. I see him tomorrow, his ass is grass! He's all yours if I grease his little punk ass.

Lol. I’ll pay for the processing. Love young deer. My family will be so happy.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My youngest son is on it this year. Deer number three for him with the 6.8spc. I think he is going to need his own gun next season

Attachments

• ED6C4292-B221-429C-AEE1-D9A11505BACA.jpg
      ED6C4292-B221-429C-AEE1-D9A11505BACA.jpg
      89.5 KB · Views: 114

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

You sound like you're at with that button where I was at when I took out a repetitively annoying (it tried to crawl up my leg at one point) fox squirrel at 12 yds a few years ago with a .308. Gotta admit that shot felt good and the quarters harvested with jelly in between were quite tasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom