• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You sound like you're at with that button where I was at when I took out a repetitively annoying (it tried to crawl up my leg at one point) fox squirrel at 12 yds a few years ago with a .308. Gotta admit that shot felt good and the quarters harvested with jelly in between were quite tasty.

I seems like some years we get "that buck" that is just everywhere. Too dumb for his own good.

I'm supposed to be doing crop damage on this farm, but there are almost no does there except for two no hunting(near houses) zones. He will count for my tally though. He has no head gear. ;)

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I seems like some years we get "that buck" that is just everywhere. Too dumb for his own good.

I'm supposed to be doing crop damage on this farm, but there are almost no does there except for two no hunting(near houses) zones. He will count for my tally though. He has no head gear. ;)

Darwin awards definitely aren't just for people.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You sound like you're at with that button where I was at when I took out a repetitively annoying (it tried to crawl up my leg at one point) fox squirrel at 12 yds a few years ago with a .308. Gotta admit that shot felt good and the quarters harvested with jelly in between were quite tasty.

If it wasn’t nearly $20 for the bolt, head and lighter nock I’ve got a few greys that would be meeting a pointy end. Honestly I should get a pistol crossbow and take it in the stand with me to trim them back. If I was on a bit more acreage I’d probably take my suppressed 22 up in the stand with me to trim them back one morning.

Had the buttons come back in 10 minutes past sunset. Lead by two does that split at my path and ignored the feeder headed up hill. 10 minutes later the biggest doe rolled in and eyes up the buttons and the feeder for about 2 minutes and then Trotted after the other two does. The buttons left a couple minutes later to follow them. Found them skylit in my neighbors’ backyards mowing the lawns when I got down from my stand and went to get the mail after last light. I need to check those game camera pictures. See if the big buck is still coming by at any point. I’ll still give it till Christmas to see if there is any chance left before I give up hope.

I could see the occasional deer on the crest before the creek valley takes a turn down hill right outside the bamboo woods (I know deer bed in there all the time. Perfect bedding area). About 90-100yds away. That Started about 3:40 until they started coming in to the feeder and path. At least two different deer, but I think it was the first two does I saw. Just coming out to browse brambles for a couple of minutes and then disappeared back in to the bamboo. Rinse and repeat every 5-10 minutes. Did it for more than an hour.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well it seems I am to be plagued with this baby buck all season. He was back under my stand tonight. Mind you, this was the fourth stand site he's shown up at. I see him tomorrow, his ass is grass! He's all yours if I grease his little punk ass.

Doe estrus on you? Maybe the little guy is trying to go all Mrs. Robinson on you.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    If it wasn’t nearly $20 for the bolt, head and lighter nock I’ve got a few greys that would be meeting a pointy end. Honestly I should get a pistol crossbow and take it in the stand with me to trim them back. If I was on a bit more acreage I’d probably take my suppressed 22 up in the stand with me to trim them back one morning.

Had the buttons come back in 10 minutes past sunset. Lead by two does that split at my path and ignored the feeder headed up hill. 10 minutes later the biggest doe rolled in and eyes up the buttons and the feeder for about 2 minutes and then Trotted after the other two does. The buttons left a couple minutes later to follow them. Found them skylit in my neighbors’ backyards mowing the lawns when I got down from my stand and went to get the mail after last light. I need to check those game camera pictures. See if the big buck is still coming by at any point. I’ll still give it till Christmas to see if there is any chance left before I give up hope.

I could see the occasional deer on the crest before the creek valley takes a turn down hill right outside the bamboo woods (I know deer bed in there all the time. Perfect bedding area). About 90-100yds away. That Started about 3:40 until they started coming in to the feeder and path. At least two different deer, but I think it was the first two does I saw. Just coming out to browse brambles for a couple of minutes and then disappeared back in to the bamboo. Rinse and repeat every 5-10 minutes. Did it for more than an hour.

I usually take the .22 out to thin the Squirrel herd out just after deer firearms. That particular fox squirrel was overly obnoxious though. It was fearless to the point of stupidity. It actually got within a foot of trying to climb my leg just before fireams season that year. It came within a couple of yards on more than a few occasions prior (hunting from the ground, mind you). Come firearms, patience had worn very thin.

Good luck with the the big buck! They always seem to be the wild card when you've got the others roughly figured out.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Got a nice one this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_160723660_copy_1024x768.jpg
      IMG_20211204_160723660_copy_1024x768.jpg
      209.4 KB · Views: 139

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Grabbed this one tonight.

Attachments

• A5CB409A-5B0D-48E2-B904-6F8216DABAE6.jpg
      A5CB409A-5B0D-48E2-B904-6F8216DABAE6.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 172
    • 3CE98E78-7CD0-4D8E-801F-DBCD38915FF9.jpeg
      3CE98E78-7CD0-4D8E-801F-DBCD38915FF9.jpeg
      62.1 KB · Views: 168

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Really nice buck. Congratulations. Looks like the lab is enjoying it as well.

The lab is 14, in his younger years he tracked and found deer when the blood line sucked... and his reward was fresh flesh off the deer, his name is Buck!

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My son got two more tonight. Freezers getting full soon

Time to shoot another then and break out the pressure caner and pint jars. Later you drain the liquid off and add onion and peppers and make quick fajitas or fry a quick steak sandwich. Canned meat is so quick and so tender.

I just saw someone canning them in Au Jus sauce. Said, I might need to try a few of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom