• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    We have one shot at doing this, so let's make sure we do it RIGHT.

Not just letters or a little logo. This plate needs to be bold and noticeable, like the Virgina tag. Even if they are $100 a piece, they would be well worth it.

I completely agree. Could we not use the Va plate as a baseline and make minor changes as needed in order to make this distinctive to Maryland?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Although the “Gadsden” flag is widely known and quite appealing, it is associated with many events and organizations that could cloud the viewer’s perception of what it is you are trying to support. For the close-minded it will represent the “Tea Party” and the anti’s would love to show their love for you and your car.

What about creating a license plate with an image that may be lesser known with the same historical context as the Gadsden flag? Such as:

1. The Bedford Flag:

The Bedford Flag may be the oldest complete flag known to exist in the United States. Its description matches one made for a cavalry troop of the Massachusetts Bay Militia in the French and Indian Wars. Legend claims it is the flag carried by Bedford Minuteman, Nathaniel Page, to the Concord Bridge on April 19, 1775, at the beginning of the American Revolution. There is, however, no real proof, either from testimonials or diaries that mention any flag flown that day by either side, except one by a British officer (Lt. Barker), who reported that British grenadiers chopped down and destroyed a flag and liberty pole standing on a hill near Concord Center. However, he reports that this was done hours before the Bedford's militiamen arrived at Concord.
    The Latin inscription "Vince Aut Morire" means "conquer or die." The arm emerging from the clouds represents the arm of God.

2. The Sons of Liberty Flag:

The history of the Stamp Act flag began in about 1765, when protests of the duties and taxes and stamps required by Parliament began in the colonies. After a protest of the Stamp Act was held under an Elm tree in Boston, the tree became known as the "Liberty Tree," and a protest group known as the Sons of Liberty was formed. The Sons of Liberty continued to meet under this tree, so the British cut the tree down, and the Sons replaced it with a Liberty pole. A flag of nine red and white vertical stripes known as the "Rebellious Stripes" was flown from this pole. The actual date of this flag is speculative.

3. Culpeper Minutemen Flag:

This flag represented a group of minutemen from Culpeper, Virginia. These men formed part of Colonel Patrick Henry's First Virginia Regiment of 1775. Three hundred Culpeper Minutemen led by Colonel Stevens marched toward Williamsburg at the beginning of the fighting. Their unusual dress alarmed the people as they marched through the country. They had bucks' tails in their hats and tomahawks and scalping knives hung from their belts. Their flag’s central symbol was a coiled rattlesnake about to strike, and below it the words "DON'T TREAD ON ME." At each side were the words of Patrick Henry "LIBERTY OR DEATH!"

All have merit, but in the end if the money goes to the state then we feed the opposition. And any symbol of defiance will be spun by our dear leaders and his press lackeys..

I do not think we should give up, but we should think it trough
    Other symbols may work a bit better like I think someone here mentioned the Betsy Ross flag..

Or even a flag showing the constitutional convention ....

Or the date of ratification ...

mitchugh

Feb 3, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    We have one shot at doing this, so let's make sure we do it RIGHT.

Not just letters or a little logo. This plate needs to be bold and noticeable, like the Virgina tag. Even if they are $100 a piece, they would be well worth it.

I completely agree. Could we not use the Va plate as a baseline and make minor changes as needed in order to make this distinctive to Maryland?

I would definitely be interested if it were like the Virginia tag, I've got a truck Im going to be registering any day now

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    Don't know about the yearly additional fee in MD for all organizational plates. At least for Veteran's type plates it's only a $25 initial fee. Registration does not increase. I've got Honorably Discharged Veteran plates, one friend has USMC Vet plates, another with Navy Vet plates and another with MC League plates and they were all the same, $25 up front to basically "buy" the tag and then your normal registration fees.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Bump, So I was looking on the MVA and they have Gadsen Pew Club plates ... how do I join does anyone know my Google Fu is bringing up bupkus.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The president of the club tried to post here and was promptly given a lifetime ban. :rolleyes:

My mechanic has the plate, and I asked him about it tonight.

He called himself 'one of the first investors', which raised a couple hairs on the back of my neck. I'd want to check out more of what he mentioned before deciding whether this is something I want to pursue.

Obviously the state was satisfied enough to issue the plates, but without more info, something doesn't quite smell right.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I have the plates as well. No hidden issues. I'm betting the "investor" part had to do with all the costs of paying for artists, printers, etc to get MVA to accept our proposed design. We submitted several different designs over a year until we finally got MVA acceptance. We were paying all the bills for these vendors to produce artwork to submit without ever knowing we would get a final approval from this anti-2A state.

We had some really cool designs that were shot down, so the final plate design was our "D" game :sad20:

I always encourage due diligence, so please check out the club before joining and paying cash :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom