• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkbob

Oct 2, 2013
    Well, with any luck tomorrow I will face the music and check the zero on my slug gun. Hopefully between the limbsaver and reduced recoil slugs (the new Hornady lite 12GA sabots), the Ultraslug beast will be tamed and I won't have to zero with a sandbag between me and the butt plate this time....

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Can I assume your new Hornady 12 gauge sabots are 3" shells ? I could never get them Hornady sabot slugs to hit near the same spot twice on a target. I started using the Remington BuckHammers and never looked back. The Winchester RackMasters are an excellent slug as well for rifled barrels. The Remington BuckHammers are no longer made and that's a real shame. $6.00 a box was way better than $12.00 to $15.00 a box for those sabot bullets. I have never found a modern sabot shotgun slug that really did much to impress me. Some guys like them. Some guys don't. Most guys have just gone back to a standard 1oz lead slug. A lot of guys shoot rifled slugs out of their rifled barrels. Sabot slugs are just too expensive and don't have any real advantages over old school slugs. But keep us posted on your sighting and show us your targets.

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    Can I assume your new Hornady 12 gauge sabots are 3" shells ? I could never get them Hornady sabot slugs to hit near the same spot twice on a target. I started using the Remington BuckHammers and never looked back. The Winchester RackMasters are an excellent slug as well for rifled barrels. The Remington BuckHammers are no longer made and that's a real shame. $6.00 a box was way better than $12.00 to $15.00 a box for those sabot bullets. I have never found a modern sabot shotgun slug that really did much to impress me. Some guys like them. Some guys don't. Most guys have just gone back to a standard 1oz lead slug. A lot of guys shoot rifled slugs out of their rifled barrels. Sabot slugs are just too expensive and don't have any real advantages over old school slugs. But keep us posted on your sighting and show us your targets.

When did Buckhammers stop being made? I had some for last years hunting season.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    When did Buckhammers stop being made? I had some for last years hunting season.

BuckHammers ceased production just over 2 years ago now. There are some to be found on shelves, but, very hard to find any left these days. Now Remington Sluggers are everywhere. I am talking about the BuckHammers, not the Sluggers.

I have about 6 boxes of the 2-3/4" and 3" BuckHammers left in my possession and I will shoot, kill, mame, obliterate, and/or destroy anyone who tries to beg, borrow, or steal them.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Try a semi auto. Recoil is much less.

This why I love casting and reloading my own slugs. I can create a lighter recoil slug and shoot all day for fun for little cost. Then save that one hard shoulder hit with the slug gun for that Deer when it eventually walks by. I can handle about 10 rounds with the little slug gun, but, after that it's just no fun to shoot.

hkbob

Oct 2, 2013
    I've been using the winchester 3" bri sabots. Originally tried a few of the high velocity sabots but they never grouped as well.

These are the hornady 2 3/4" FTx lite rounds, not the 3" ones. I prefer a single shot just for meanness sake...one round should be plenty for a deer and the gun is shorter/easier to juggle in a tree.

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    BuckHammers ceased production just over 2 years ago now. There are some to be found on shelves, but, very hard to find any left these days. Now Remington Sluggers are everywhere. I am talking about the BuckHammers, not the Sluggers.

I have about 6 boxes of the 2-3/4" and 3" BuckHammers left in my possession and I will shoot, kill, mame, obliterate, and/or destroy anyone who tries to beg, borrow, or steal them.

Ahhh, maybe I got lucky and found some leftovers then.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've been using the winchester 3" bri sabots. Originally tried a few of the high velocity sabots but they never grouped as well.

These are the hornady 2 3/4" FTx lite rounds, not the 3" ones. I prefer a single shot just for meanness sake...one round should be plenty for a deer and the gun is shorter/easier to juggle in a tree.

I gave up on the sabot slugs altogether. Both due to cost and the same issue with inconsistency. Even 4 different guns and several different makes and models of the sabot slugs we all gave up wondering where they would hit the target. My Nephew and a buddy of mine went back to Remington Sluggers in their rifled slug guns and my other buddy and his father went for the Winchester Rack Masters. I stuck with the Remington BuckHammers and now cast and reload my own slugs. We can put holes through holes with the BuckHammers, Sluggers, and RackMasters. Those sabot slugs, well they fly like a Muzzleloader bullet. They will hit within a 6" to 3" circle, but, you just don't know where on that 6" circle they will hit. Inside of 6" is a good "kill" shot, but, I'd rather be confident in knowing my slug is going to hit where I'm actually aiming inside of a 3" circle.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I used to shoot Buckhammers out of my 12 ga. 870. Very effective but really a lot of recoil, too much, really. I switched to Brenneke slugs and they had great penetration. Last year I bought a Savage 220 slug gun and shoot 20 ga. 3" Remington Accutips. The Savage is much more accurate than the 870. I still have a few boxes of Buckhammers to remind me of the good old days.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Slugs???

Slugs.

Winchester Partition Gold "SSP12". 2-3/4". 385 grains. Now advertised at 1725 fps. (I still have several boxes of the ones advertised at 1900 fps!)

Verrrrrrrrrrrrry accurate at 25, 50, 100 and 125 yards, from Remington 870 slug gun.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I think the only recoil worse than a 3" slug is a 3 1/2" turkey load of copper plated lead shot.

Most of the time, I have a mercury recoil reducer in the stock of my Benelli SBE. When I put the rifled barrel on it, I change out the magazine cap with a mercury recoil reducer there too. It adds weight to the gun, but I have not had a problem with it still hunting, and surely no problem with it in a stand. Killed 8 does one morning in about 2 hours and my shoulder and back were fine. Have fired 15 rounds in a single sitting to sight it in and try different loads and there was no issue.

Meanwhile, my Browning BPS kicks like a mule when I shoot slugs out of it.

So, how did the sighting in end up going?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I used to shoot Buckhammers out of my 12 ga. 870. Very effective but really a lot of recoil, too much, really. I switched to Brenneke slugs and they had great penetration. Last year I bought a Savage 220 slug gun and shoot 20 ga. 3" Remington Accutips. The Savage is much more accurate than the 870. I still have a few boxes of Buckhammers to remind me of the good old days.

Yeah don't I know that feeling. I started casting and reloading my own 20 gauge slugs trying to replicate the BuckHammer as best I can. I have developed a 20 gauge slug that I am more than confident to hunt with out to 100 yards, but, it's no BuckHammer.

I have a few buddies who hunt with 20 gauge slug and they have a few 25 round boxes of my 20 guage slugs and have no issues hunting with them. None of us have bought slugs from the store in a few years now. We don't care if they will hit a dime at 400 yards since none of us have any reason to shoot that far and we have no idea how fast they go through a chrony. That's for the guys who who care to know. All we care to know is that they put a big hole in Deer, make a complete mess on the inside, and we don't have wounded Deer walking around.

As far as recoil is concerned, that issue doesn't affect me, I'm not a paper puncher, so, I shoot a few to make sure I am going to hit what I am aiming at and then go kill Deer. I can understand the point of view from someone who shoots targets a lot and that's why I cast and reload my own ammo. I make light loads for fun shooting without getting worn out and I also make heavy loads you can't even buy at the stores for getting the job done when that time comes.

Those BuckHammers will stomp your ass, but, when I pull the trigger I know they will hit where my crosshairs are directed. With y 20 gauge slugs that I cast and reload I know I am going to inside of a 3" circle and still kill that Deer. I have shot hundreds of my slugs and the recoil is about the same as the BuckHammer, but, I don't shoot hundreds of Deer a few days a week, so, the recoil depends on your situation.

1obxnut

Aug 21, 2013
    Silver Spring, MoCo
    I installed one of these knoxx blackhawk stocks on my rifled barrel 870-12g, scoped it, shot it using Hornady 12g 300g SST sabots..LUV IT!

opplanet-blackhawk-knoxx-compstock-shotgun-stock-pump-varities.jpg

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I installed one of these knoxx blackhawk stocks on my rifled barrel 870-12g, scoped it, shot it using Hornady 12g 300g SST sabots..LUV IT!

opplanet-blackhawk-knoxx-compstock-shotgun-stock-pump-varities.jpg

haven't seen that stock yet

i've got the older style knoxx stock and love it - i can go through a case of slugs without a bruise.

1obxnut

Aug 21, 2013
    Silver Spring, MoCo
    haven't seen that stock yet

i've got the older style knoxx stock and love it - i can go through a case of slugs without a bruise.

Koburn,

Sorry, It's Blackhawk Knoxx Compstock.

I believe the stock and foregrip kit was made by hogue. The best thing about it is the recoil reduction system in the stock itself. The stock collapses into the larger butt section when you pull the trigger...Just be careful if you scope it for slugs..the scope will come back and hit you between the eyes..(ask my how I know this :whack: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom