• Is it winable ?

• Total voters

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    says Dave Brat

Discuss ..

Think we can learn from this or should we give up?

I may use the poll results to decide if I should give up.. I am running out of cash, and I am running out of the will to fight my own side as well as the opposition.

I have said I do not fight loosing battles. So now is a good time to assess ... Is this winnable in any way shape or form?

I also may ignore the results but others may give up based on what we say here.

Go

Edit to add :

The objective of this poll is to find out how many here still have the will to fight. I have said before that our fight will need at least 5 year commitment. That does not mean you need to stay in MD for 5 years but it does give you some idea of what kind of commitment we need. We need to fight as if our backs are to the sea, even if we plan to leave, otherwise we are not going to make any difference. How many are really willing to make a difference ? That's the number I need.

Its a man power estimate -- it will guide my actions on this..

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Define "This" . Do you mean Maryland elections specifically, or gun rights in Md generally ?

And are you holding out for claer cut unambigous Victories , or can you wrap your mind around fighting a rear gaurd action , where mitagating the worst of the attacks is a sucuess ?

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    Money is corrupting our politics. If you haven't noticed, campaigns aren't about issues and solving real problems. They're marketing about how one candidate is a better choice than another. Since most of then are as good as a wet noodle, the ads focus on how they suck less than the alternative. Yet the sheep will still vote for one of two losers instead of demanding better. Same has lead to the CEO salary rates. If people voted their stock shares then CEOs wouldn't get such nice salaries or exit bonuses. I'd loved to get several million dollars if I got fired for doing a lousy job.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Your question is a bit confusing. I think what you mean is, "The candidate with the most money/financial backing, wins.". To which the answer is, "YES! Whoever has the most money wins!".

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I think I understand what you are getting at.

I voted to participate.

On the other hand, I'm not sure (given the structure of your survey) what exactly you are tring to get at...

When we lose hope, the end is near. Currently, money has a bigger hand in elections than the electorate (us as individuals).

If you think it is unwinnable, it is. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and have a rational plan to move forward.

America was built on guts and trust and hope. Some of those are in declining supply. Each of us needs to look inward and get some real SA. Collectively, we need to remain positive.

They say a skeptic is an optimist with experience. Is a cynic then someone who has given up??

I get your feelings. Can't say they aren't well earned and even shared... I still have hope. I'm pissed and disappointed in many institutions in our great country. I plan on lending my energy to something where I can hopefully make a difference.

Life is (still) about choices.

Andrew White

Mar 13, 2013
    SoMD
    Your question is a bit confusing. I think what you mean is, "The candidate with the most money/financial backing, wins.". To which the answer is, "YES! Whoever has the most money wins!".

But exact opposite happened in the Cantor v Brat election...

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Maybe my sarcasm detector is off.

Brat had 200k, Cantor 5 million.

In the last election, Sheldon Adelson and the Kochs outspent the liberals by a wide margin, very few of their candidates got elected.

No, I dont think money alone wins campaigns these days.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    There are lots of examples where the person with the biggest purse lost. Money helps get out the message, but if people don't like the message they reject it. Sometimes causality runs the other way - the candidate with the most support gets the most money. The notion that money buys elections is mainly promoted by people who ask for money... and people who lose elections ("it was the money, not the message is why I lost").

Here is a good freakonomics post with some good counterexamples:

http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/12/does-money-really-buy-elections-a-new-marketplace-podcast/

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    All I know is that team BHO broke the billion dollar mark during the 2008 election and is now bitching about the Koch brothers.

The "H" stands for Hypocrisy.

That said, I think money is ruining our political system. Well, that and politicians.

But in the end, people and overwhelming votes decide elections. You vote and you may win. You stay home and you will definitely lose.

PS: I think a lot of folks are being unduly critical of Eric Cantor. What is it about his monotone speaking voice, uninspiring ideas, and love for illegals and full amnesty don't you guys like.....

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    All I know is that team BHO broke the billion dollar mark during the 2008 election and is now bitching about the Koch brothers.

The "H" stands for Hypocrisy.

That said, I think money is ruining our political system. Well, that and politicians.

Thats not the question. The question is do we fight our game, ground politics and win anyway? I have no more time or money to waste here. I am mobile. these numbers will tell me if I should cut my losses. It will tell others. If this is how it ends in moping about " money and the process" then its time to bail and fight elsewhere.

I will fight anyway is not good enough anymore we need to fight hard.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    From what I have read, Cantor's team attempted an all out smear campaign in the past few weeks that backfired. Dave Brat was well known to talk show listeners and active Republicans, but not so well known amongst mainstream folk. The blitz of media ad's by Cantor's team got Brat's name out to the voters.

Cantor was also saddled with trying to appease both the moderate Republican base and the more conservative Republican factions. Although at this point in time, it is probably fair to say the conservative Republicans are the base and moderates are factions.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I believe money is a factor in that it is needed in order to get the word out concerning a candidates positions. Signage isn't cheap and TV and radio is outrageous. Those robo calls go for around $9000 for 300,000 calls. Door to door and community based efforts can go a long way in winning votes but that takes people and getting volunteers to put down their smart phones or back away from their computers and actually do something to help a candidate rather then just pontificating on social forums is tough.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Thats not the question. The question is do we fight our game, ground politics and win anyway? I have no more time or money to waste here. I am mobile. these numbers will tell me if I should cut my losses. It will tell others. If this is how it ends in moping about " money and the process" then its time to bail and fight elsewhere.

I will fight anyway is not good enough anymore we need to fight hard.

You cut and pasted to quickly. :)

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    You cut and pasted to quickly. :)

Sure vote, but that alone will not get it done. We need to start building citizens. If we don't its done. I have done my best. I can not sustain that level of activity.. Without more boots on the ground we are done.

Boot on the ground can and has bested a money advantage.. But it can't if we don't do it.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Define "This" . Do you mean Maryland elections specifically, or gun rights in Md generally ?

And are you holding out for claer cut unambigous Victories , or can you wrap your mind around fighting a rear gaurd action , where mitagating the worst of the attacks is a sucuess ?

^^ This ^^ I don't respond to ambiguous ill-defined polls.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Sure vote, but that alone will not get it done. We need to start building citizens. If we don't its done. I have done my best. I can not sustain that level of activity.. Without more boots on the ground we are done.

Boot on the ground can and has bested a money advantage.. But it can't if we don't do it.

You're not going to fix it.

The Pied Piper was successful for a reason.

Even the brightest amongst us choose to remain ill informed.

Remaining stupid is profoundly easier than doing what is required to learn.

Just because you care and I care and others care doesn't mean we're going to convince those who don't care to care.

If you don't chill, you're going to have a heart attack because you keep expecting people to see what you see, understand what you understand, and believe what you believe.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    A very conservative friend of mine voted for Obama because the end is inevitable and a vote for Obama gets us there quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom