• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    I am looking for a semi inletted unfinished stock for a Remington 788 short action. Richards microfit has what I’m looking for but I can’t get in touch with them. Corona virus? Does anyone know where I can get one somewhere between finished and a piece of wood?

JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    I found what I was looking for. Gunville.com/ Silver Hill Gun Stocks, llc. If there is enough interest I am willing to do a thread on the progress. This stock will be getting my virginity on gun stocks. I am mechanically inclined and good rough carpenter. We will see how the finish skills are. Seems the older I get the more patients I have with stuff like this. I actually find it calming. I find I need the calming right now with all the B.S. going on in this country.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    JimB

Yes - Please do project update posts on your stock project. I recently did my first, and while it turned out very nicely, I made some major mistakes along the way.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Get or make a set of action/stock fitting screws. Also a wood dowel pulverized on one end so you can soak in kerosene or lamp oil to smudge the action for fitting.
    A Jerry Fisher scraper and barrel bedding tool are a time saver and useful too. Couple of good sharp chisels

A good stock fitting job once bedding has been done leaves the external surfaces sharp not rounded over or wavy. Not using unnecessary amounts of bedding compound to fix or repair the internal portion of a stock is something else that you strive for.
    A good job is how well the bedding has been done not what the external appearance looks like afterwards.

The biggest thing is take your time and enjoy what your doing. Resist the urge to get done quickly with power tools. Nothing wrong with that but until you learn how to control them wood can come off fast or unexpectedly.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Two things jump to mind immediately with respect to finishing the wood . . .

1) You will need/want an electric sander. I bought two different models, and the one I thought would be better turned out to be far inferior to the other. Don't get a "mouse detail sander" type, - way underpowered. The tool that did an excellent job, with a learning curve, was a "Hyper Tough 2.1-Amp Oscillating Multi Function Tool". This tool likely saved hundreds? of hours of hand sanding, and my shoulder and arm. You will need lots of replacement sanding disks, likely from 240 to 400 or 600 grit will be good enough.

2) Before you begin to apply your final coat (if not part of your stain) make sure to fill the woodgrain/pores with filler. There are multiple ways to do this, and a good method is to use the wood dust from your sanding with a dilute first coat rather than a commercial filling product. If you don't seal the pores you will do a lot of extra work to get a smooth surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom