• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    This week I was at "gathering" of about 12-14 hardcore MD hunters and game managers. These are what I consider (thought) were hard core gun guys.

Not a single one of them had a clue about HB 175 and it's upcoming restrictions on ammo purchases.
    I laid out what it would mean for us as hunters and shooters.
    Throughout the rest of the evening not a single one approach/asked for info on the bill # or who/how to contact.:sad20:

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    This week I was at "gathering" of about 12-14 hardcore MD hunters and game managers. These are what I consider (thought) were hard core gun guys.

Not a single one of them had a clue about HB 175 and it's upcoming restrictions on ammo purchases.
    Throughout the rest of the evening not a single one approach/asked for info on the bill # or who/how to contact.:sad20:

I do not find this surprising in the least. Disappointing yes, but not surprising.

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    Not everyone is interested in being an "activist". Some people think others will go to bat for them and they are comfortable in their bubble.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

*****I served on the board of directors at a pretty decent sized private range in MoCo (about 2000 members give or take..) for two terms (4 years), and we had dozens of member meetings, outings, BBQ, range orientations, NRA classes and many many other events and I was surprised myself at how few "hard core" gun guys and gals have absolutely NO clue about restrictions, or MGA bills in the pipeline that directly affect gun rights.

Most were incredulous that anything like HB175 or other bills over the years can and could be passed, even in Maryland - which is not exactly gun friendly to begin with.

I think most people just aren't tuned into this sort of thing unless it directly affects them, their families, etc... They notice no ammo now, no guns for the most part in stock, and something or other on the news about future gun control legislation but none of it really seems to register with them.

Most people just don't seem to care, including gun people, at least in my experience here. I personally teach hundreds of students every year regarding the safe use of firearms, and the basics of how we do things on our range for safety, common range etiquette, etc... People want to shoot at our ranges but few ever really get involved beyond that. It's not surprising to me the political machinations of the MGA are not that well known beyond MDS, even amongst regular firearm enthusiasts.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    No surprise here.

Cops, robbers, hunters, shooters, farmers, homeowners and others all use guns. Get beyond that, and there are arguably as many or more differences than there are similarities.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The average redneck or farmer or rural gun owner just doesn’t give two shits

They only comply with laws that directly affect them and not until they do

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    My club is filled with shooters who take no action to protect our rights whatsoever.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    This kind of stuff sticks in my mind daily. I am tired of my and all others rights at risk constantly . I spread the word around as much as I can about the Bill and how off the wall it is. I also email it to folks and also post it on whatever social media I can. I also post these bills on other sites I am a member of to keep them informed. People better wake up that dont care.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I think it’s a general “not my problem” mentality that’s affecting lots of folks these days.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Sounds about right. There’s a reason they’re called Fudds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    You run into at gun shows, especially if you work the MSI booth. It is appalling how uninformed, misinformed, and/or apathetic some gun owners are...at GUN SHOWS even! We try to educate, but it often doesn't take. I'm not sure why. In this day and age, if you want to remain a gun owner, you really have to be a 2A advocate.

Part of me almost wishes they'd hurry up and do the LQL (it's kind of inevitable :rolleye12). The ostrich gun owners will be in for a heck of a wake up call when they are told they need a license to buy their new shotgun "But...but it ain't no AR15??!?!?). By then, of course, it will be too late...but that may be the only way they'll take it seriously:sad20:

Definitely not surprising. I'm a pretty hardcore Hunter and personally know dozens and have connections with several hundred more. Many hunters only own a handful of firearms maybe a pistol a shotgun or two and maybe a deer rifle and a 22 rifle. Many of them don't believe that the government is coming for their hunting guns and there is a contingent who don't believe that regular citizens should own semi-automatics like AR-15s and AK-47s. They will eventually learn the hard way.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I belonged to a club with 500+ members that really didn't care to advocate for 2A rights because the executive board thought it would endanger their 501(c)(3) if they put information out to the membership. At the meetings I stood up at, maybe three people were interested out of an average of 50 - 60 that showed up for the meetings. And I can count the members that showed up in Annapolis on one hand (all of them post here) and have two fingers left over.

It got to the point to where I quit providing legislative updates at the meetings during the legislative session. No on cared.

So, I will be taking my membership over to AGC (Using my MSI membership) for much less expensive range fees (By half).

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    What percentage of the "Don't know, don't care" crowd will hand over their firearms when they find out what went down?

The true test of bad law is how many just ignore it.

Last edited:
    What percebtage of the "Don't know, don't care" crowd will hand over their firearms when they find out what went down?

The true test of bad law is how many just ignore it.

Many, including a bunch right here. They see every day what's happening to our rights and STILL don't believe the government is coming for your guns. Those people dont deserve to own firearms

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    All I've ever owned, is a single shotgun. Like many others, I wrongly assumed that our government would never attempt to completely disarm the population. I also had some incorrect views about the 2nd Amendment. That's why I'm here now.

I'm totally new to the debate over whether the NRA is worth a damn anymore. I've been reading that thread with interest, trying to learn which organizations have the best chance of helping us preserve our rights. I was completely ignorant as to the incredible legal twists of logic states use to ban and regulate firearms and the depth at which they do it. The New York legal cases make for fascinating reading.

My impression (which could be wrong) is that many "casual" hobbyists won't care if full gun confiscation becomes a reality. They'll hand them over and go find something else to do.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    All I've ever owned, is a single shotgun. Like many others, I wrongly assumed that our government would never attempt to completely disarm the population. I also had some incorrect views about the 2nd Amendment. That's why I'm here now.

I'm totally new to the debate over whether the NRA is worth a damn anymore. I've been reading that thread with interest, trying to learn which organizations have the best chance of helping us preserve our rights. I was completely ignorant as to the incredible legal twists of logic states use to ban and regulate firearms and the depth at which they do it. The New York legal cases make for fascinating reading.

My impression (which could be wrong) is that many "casual" hobbyists won't care if full gun confiscation becomes a reality. They'll hand them over and go find something else to do.

I had a liberal coworker once and was surprised when he told me about his 9 mm. I thought, hmmm, maybe I’ve misjudged. I told him about pending legislation in his state and he should write his representatives and oppose it. He looked at me with a sort of grin and smirk and said, “What do I care? I’ve got mine.” I still remember how much I wanted to smack that grin off his face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom