• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    All Maryland Shooters members are invited to celebrate the life of our late brother and fellow MDS member “Rack&Roll“ at a memorial service for Jeff Hulbert at his home Church, conducted by Greg St. Cyr, Lead Pastor of Bay Area Community Church, at 1 PM on Saturday, June 26th, 2021.

Bay Area Community Church is a few miles northwest of Parole and Annapolis, just off of Crownsville Road, north of Defense Highway.

Bay Area Community Church
    884 Chesterfield Road
    Annapolis MD 21401

(See posts #2 and #3 below for additional graphic map detail and a location mapping link.)

Please join Jeff’s beloved daughter Ansley and our extended Hulbert family as we gather to remember Jeff’s life of family, friendship, adventure and giving to others.

Few know about the many adventures and avocations in Jeff’s remarkable life, actively lived for decades before Jeff became “Rack&Roll” on MDS in 2013, and founded Patriot Picket in 2016.

Jeff, a member of the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rescue Squad from 1972 - 1974, quickly qualified as an EMT and responded to calls for medical emergencies, fires, car crashes and heavy rescue incidents before his college graduation, and before he commenced his professional journalism career.

Not surprisingly, throughout the rest of his active life, Jeff continued to stop at or respond to the scene of emergencies. This included once stopping and talking down a bridge jumper on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Likewise, Jeff’s idea of “relaxing at the beach” was to sit in a sand chair in the unguarded swim areas, scanning the entire surf line north and south with binoculars, and then racing into the water with a boogie board to rescue drowning swimmers who stepped off the edge of sand bars, and those pulled seaward by rip currents.

There are more than a dozen adults and children alive today because of his vigilance; Jeff loved that. I know this is true, because I had to grab my boogie board and follow him.

Jeff was the ultimate joyful rescuer: actively coming to the rescue of the First and Second Amendments during Patriot Picket demonstrations year-round; he also instinctively sought ways to come to the aid of both friends and strangers who needed his help, most often in winter or summer storm emergencies.

Weather, particularly storm weather, became a particular fascination of Jeff’s, an interest he actively shared with his nephew Drew, whom he helped to become a certified NWS SkyWarn Weather Spotter.

Jeff’s help included delivering his own portable kerosine heaters and gasoline-powered electrical generators to those who lost heat and electricity during storms, not only to aid his own family members but also to assist his MDS family too: members here who asked for help.

For 25 years Jeff hosted annual Hulbert family gatherings (including many Hulbert childrens’ friends) each July, camping at the Maddox Family Campground on Chincoteague Island, Virginia, and he loved visiting both the Maryland and Virginia beaches of Assateague National Seashore, regardless of the season, or the weather.

After Jeff passed away the morning of May 3, 2021, I shared the devastating news with our extended family.

I included the photos below of Jeff, taken at the place he most loved, and where his optimistic, loving and happy spirit will always be with us:

Attachments

• 304FB4D6-564C-4FD6-A0FF-030856FFB219.jpg
      304FB4D6-564C-4FD6-A0FF-030856FFB219.jpg
      44.5 KB · Views: 888
    • 504B2C6C-0C90-47B0-A9C2-7945691926AA.jpg
      504B2C6C-0C90-47B0-A9C2-7945691926AA.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 884
    • 47BE7849-051D-4C94-B5E8-2172E815CDF1.jpg
      47BE7849-051D-4C94-B5E8-2172E815CDF1.jpg
      61 KB · Views: 892

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    JEFF’S MEMORIAL SERVICE IN THE BACC CHAPEL, RECEPTION TO FOLLOW

Jeff’s memorial service will be celebrated at:

Bay Area Community Church (BACC)
    884 Chesterfield Road
    Annapolis MD 21401

The Church offers a beautiful Chapel sanctuary with comfortable seating, with ample front parking.

Plans are NOW CONFIRMED for a post-service reception at the Church immediately following Jeff’s memorial service and everyone is invited: we can now have a reception with food and refreshments.

At the time this OP was first posted AACounty COVID restrictions prohibited any post-service social gathering; now we will enjoy the first social gathering following a service at BACC in the last year and a half.

For this opportunity we feel truly blessed, since this is also something Jeff would have wanted.

BACC has also confirmed that masks are no longer required to be worn at either Jeff’s memorial service or the reception following if you have been vaccinated.

Attachments

• 2486B878-4581-42F1-A55F-AA652552A598.jpg
      2486B878-4581-42F1-A55F-AA652552A598.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 881
    • E9E0E927-28AC-4C55-A7BC-73B669C93750.jpg
      E9E0E927-28AC-4C55-A7BC-73B669C93750.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 562
    Last edited:

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    RACK&ROLL CHURCH SERVICE SAT 6/26

Thanks Kevin for posting and organizing this. I am so hopeful of being able to attend, my calendar currently shows available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    For 25 years Jeff hosted annual Hulbert family gatherings (including many Hulbert childrens’ friends) each July, camping at the Maddox Family Campground on Chincoteague Island, Virginia, and he loved visiting both the Maryland and Virginia beaches of Assateague National Seashore, regardless of the season, or the weather.

Holy Crap...that's where my family kept a trailer for YEARS. I've been going there since I was about 5. I bet I ran across him a few times back in the day, way before MDSF.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    JEFF’S MEMORIAL SERVICE WILL BE IN THE CHAPEL AT BACC

I'll try to be there.

So sorry I will be away with family for 4 days . My thoughts and prayers are with you.

RIP jeff

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Kevin for posting and organizing this. I am so hopeful of being able to attend, my calendar currently shows available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Thank you Sgt. Psycho for your PM’s to me checking in to seek clarification on the date of this month’s service on June 26th; the OP invitation was posted here before May 26th, generating some confusion. Sorry about that. - - Deep Lurker]

I hope to see you all there.

I'll be there.

I hope to attend along with #2 son.

Thank you all for responding to this thread; I’m updating it here today with the latest information about Jeff’s memorial service on June 26th (see the OP for complete time/place information and map/directions).

Since posting the OP I learned that the beautiful Chapel within the Bay Area Community Church building, which seats 300 persons, does have a projection screen for audio-visual presentation of music, pictures and video.

So we will be having Jeff’s memorial service in that worship space at the same time and date (1 PM, Saturday, June 26):

Attachments

• 53081B61-BB63-470A-873B-FA79B0AF5207.jpg
      53081B61-BB63-470A-873B-FA79B0AF5207.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 430
    Last edited:

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    ALL ARE INVITED TO A RECEPTION FOLLOWING THE SERVICE

More good news: I am pleased to also report that our family received permission late yesterday to have a social reception with food and refreshments for everyone immediately following Jeff’s memorial service at Bay Area Community Church.

We are all particularly pleased to have been blessed with this opportunity, as Jeff always loved the fellowship of his MDS and Patriot Picket friends, and always tried to plan our PP events and missions to include some social time before and after.

At the time we received our initial permission to have Jeff’s memorial service at BACC the COVID restrictions specifically precluded any social gathering indoors, before or after the service.

However, all those restrictions, such as requiring masks (for the fully vaccinated) and for social distancing, have both been removed; our reception after Jeff’s memorial service will be the first social gathering allowed in the Church after a service for more that a year.

Bay Area Community Church is a very large facility, and their spacious entrance lobby includes an area they call the “Bay Cafe” where they serve refreshments before and after their regular services; this is where we will have our reception:

Attachments

• 1EBA2A1F-6CFA-4A17-BA83-4C219ED94A97.jpg
      1EBA2A1F-6CFA-4A17-BA83-4C219ED94A97.jpg
      50.8 KB · Views: 427
    Last edited:

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    ”Originally Posted by Deep Lurker: For 25 years Jeff hosted annual Hulbert family gatherings (including many Hulbert childrens’ friends) each July, camping at the Maddox Family Campground on Chincoteague Island, Virginia, and he loved visiting both the Maryland and Virginia beaches of Assateague National Seashore, regardless of the season, or the weather.”

Holy Crap...that's where my family kept a trailer for YEARS. I've been going there since I was about 5. I bet I ran across him a few times back in the day, way before MDS.

No doubt you did: Jeff loved to stroll the roads of this large Campground in the evenings to meet other campers and to admire their often very advanced bump-out trailers, super-motorhomes and spectacular outdoor kitchens.

Each July for 25 years Jeff was also the Pied Piper for all the children of the extended Hulbert family and their friends, teaching them all to ride his personally-owned motor pool of motor scooters within the Maddox Family Campground first before venturing out to lead them on tours of Chincoteague Island and roadways throughout the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge on Assateague Island.

These scooter-riding lessons are often recited by them now as adults as the most exciting adventures of their young lives.

The Maddox Family sold the Campground several years ago to the KOA corporation, which beautifully preserved it with improvements to all its facilities; this saved it from the ravages of the National Park Service, which hoped to condemn the Campground, level it, pave it over with asphalt and use it as a parking lot to run their proposed NPS-vendor shuttle service from there to Assateague Island.

Thankfully, this never happened, and Jeff lived to see his favorite place on this Earth saved and renewed:

https://koa.com/campgrounds/chincoteague/

Attachments

• 4BDB8F53-F5DF-4185-9910-69BC0ACFBB7E.jpg
      4BDB8F53-F5DF-4185-9910-69BC0ACFBB7E.jpg
      121.2 KB · Views: 415
    • 59D4850A-D0A1-46B6-93BD-7143ACB81235.jpg
      59D4850A-D0A1-46B6-93BD-7143ACB81235.jpg
      49.3 KB · Views: 421

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    JEFF’S PUBLISHED OBITUARY

Jeff had a long and varied career and it was extremely difficult to contain it all in a conventional length obituary.

I wrote at least a half a dozen drafts, each longer than the last, with additional information as more memories surfaced.

I probably captured only about 20% of Jeff’s work life in the published version:

“Jeffrey William Hulbert, 67, of Chevy Chase, MD passed away on May 3, 2021, after a brief illness, surrounded by his family.

Jeff was born to Patricia and Lt(jg). William Hulbert, USN at the The Naval Hospital, Newport, R.I. in October, 1953 with his twin brother Kevin.

Jeff attended North Chevy Chase Elementary, Kensington Junior and Leland Junior High Schools, and graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School in 1971.

Jeff was active in Boy Scout Troop 255 at Chevy Chase United Methodist Church from 1964 to 1971, and became an EMT with Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rescue Squad in 1972 while attending Montgomery College to study photography, later transferring to the University of Georgia, where he graduated with a degree in journalism.

As a college undergraduate Jeff was employed by ABC Sports as a production assistant; after graduation Jeff was hired as a news reporter, morning news anchor and talk show host at a Columbus, GA TV (WTVM) station.

Jeff advanced rapidly in his journalism career, reporting in ever-larger TV markets in New Bern, NC and Richmond, VA (WTVR) before being hired by WTTG Channel 5 (now FOX5) in Washington D.C., where he was promoted to weekend evening news anchor.

When Jeff left WTTG he launched a new and independent career: he obtained an agent and became a commercial spokesman, print model, movie actor and radio DJ, while continuing to free-lance as a TV news writer and editor.

Jeff became a popular local party music DJ and MC, hosting both private and public events. His clients included President Ronald Reagan, with whom he appeared at the White House.

Theatrical impresario Andrew Lloyd Webber hired Jeff to DJ the cast party for his new musical “Phantom of the Opera” opening pre-Broadway at the Kennedy Center; Jeff was then brought to New York City to entertain after the show’s historic Broadway premier, and later flown to Hollywood to DJ the celebrity-packed opening-night party for its West Coast premier.

In the late 1980’s Jeff partnered with a TV producer friend to create an independent commercial video production company. Jeff also entertained during live concert work with internationally renowned music groups such as Earth, Wind & Fire and The Beach Boys, becoming for two decades the most sought-after DJ and MC in the mid-Atlantic region.

In 1990, Jeff married Sydney Smith of Perry, GA; their daughter Ansley was born in 1991.

Jeff loved his extended family; each July, from 1995 to 2020, he hosted annual family camping trips to Chincoteague Island, with daily beach trips to Assateague National Seashore, always welcoming the Hulbert children’s many friends to join in these summer adventures.

In 2015, Jeff joined the congregation of Bay Area Community Church in Annapolis, MD.

Following his terminal cancer diagnosis in 2016, Jeff lived with courage and optimism for five active years, enduring without complaint his painful chemotherapy and experimental treatments; Jeff always expressed gratitude for the exceptional medical care he received from his skilled doctors and their compassionate staffs.

After his diagnosis, also in 2016, Jeff founded the Bill of Rights demonstration group “Patriot Picket” to highlight and defend Constitutional rights; he continued to actively lead Patriot Picket until his acute illness and hospice care began in late April 2021.

Jeff is survived by his daughter Ansley, his mother Patricia, brothers Kevin, Clayton (wife Jocelyn) and Jon (wife Kim), nieces Katie, Emma and Addy Hulbert, and nephews Ben (wife Liz), Drew and Riley Hulbert, and his aunts Barbara (husband Robert) Ohanesian and Sharon (husband Philip) McFarlane, his uncle Craig (wife Nancy) Osmond, and first cousins Ann, Julie, Suzanne, Scott and Amy.

The Hulbert family especially thanks Sydney Smith for her love and compassion and the genuine kindness and generosity she and her husband Dave extended to Jeff during his final years.

A celebration of Jeff’s life will be held on Saturday, June 26, 2021 at at 1PM in Annapolis at Bay Area Community Church, 884 Chesterfield Road, Annapolis, MD 21401(bayareacc.org/annapolis).

The Hulbert family invites everyone to a light reception at the Church immediately following the service.

Masks are not required at the Church for the service or the reception for anyone who has been fully vaccinated.

In lieu of flowers the Hulbert family asks that donations be made in Jeff’s memory to Bay Area Community Church (www.bayareacc.org/annapolis), the Chincoteague (VA) Volunteer Fire Company (www.cvfc3.com), and Maryland Shall Issue (www.marylandshallissue.org).

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    I’m bumping this thread for Jeff’s Church Memorial Service this Saturday at 1PM at the Bay Area Community Church in Annapolis (see the OP for all info.)

I want to thank Bob A again for being the OP of the thread announcing Jeff’s passing on May 3, 2021.

Bob, it was an honor to have you do this for Jeff as a truly courageous friend and supporter: you yourself were subject to arrest for your principles, by standing with Jeff when he was arrested in Annapolis on 2/5/18, and you stood by and with Jeff to the very end. Thank you for your courage, friendship and kindness.

Thank you to all who left such kind messages of remembrance and support in this thread, this was a considerable comfort to me, and I can’t thank you all enough.

I’m archiving a link to that thread here:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=256722

Only one week after Jeff passed away, on May 10, 2021 we assembled for a Patriot Picket and MDS Memorial Service for Jeff in Annapolis on a Monday, because Mondays in Annapolis had a great deal of meaning for us.

Thank you again to all who attended that evening and participated in this “On The Bricks” Memorial Service and Patriot March around the Statehouse and the Governor’s Royal Palace, and the Irish Wake after at the Ram’s Head Tavern.

With special thanks to all who offered their spoken remembrances there of Jeff’s life and leadership; the remembrances are archived at the link below with the pictures and video beginning here at Post #121 (with posts and pictures at Mission BBQ on prior pages):

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=256758&page=13

Our Tribute Video remembering Rack&Roll, also archived here:

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Grateful to our faithful friend and supporter Maryland Delegate Dan Cox from District 4, Frederick and Carroll Counties for personally honoring Jeff with this, a “Certificate in Memoriam” issued in the name of the Maryland General Assembly.

Dan has been steadfast and unbowed in his support for us and our Constitutional Rights in Maryland.

After Jeff and I were arrested, Dan did not hesitate to offer his legal assistance to us to pursue a Federal civil rights lawsuit; he is a devout and patriotic person, with a wonderful family.

It is an honor to know Dan, and I hope all here will go the extra mile to support Dan in the future, as he supports us.

Below the Certificate in Memoriam are two pictures of Dan from Sine Die 2019 and 2/5/20 (the 2-year anniversary of our arrest) who not only stands with us when we are holding signs, he will proudly hold a banner, when others would not:

Attachments

• DCB18549-1994-4A43-866E-45DF5CF9E286.jpg
      DCB18549-1994-4A43-866E-45DF5CF9E286.jpg
      62.8 KB · Views: 263
    • 2FF416F5-D299-48F1-9734-757AF250C963.jpg
      2FF416F5-D299-48F1-9734-757AF250C963.jpg
      145.4 KB · Views: 272
    • 4A86E36A-DC73-44A4-8E45-773FB763B25C.jpg
      4A86E36A-DC73-44A4-8E45-773FB763B25C.jpg
      136.4 KB · Views: 265

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts