• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Since my wife's dementia has gotten worse and her mobility is not the greatest ( and mine either of late) we make a couple of visits per week to the Westminster Community Pond at the intersection of Rt. 97 and Rt. 140. Never really appreciated it until the last couple of years. Just a peaceful relatively quiet place to visit and look at the wildlife. Any other MDS Members visit this park? Couple of months ago we saw a private fish hatchery truck there releasing 150 excess catfish (with the County's permission of course) in to the pond.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I have a man with autism I care for that enjoys going to that park to eat his lunch. He also enjoys going to the bowling alley in Taneytown during the week when it is quiet. I enjoy it all myself.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    It's a nice place I frequent myself occasionally but not to fish(I prefer cooler, more aerated spots with deeper water options). I like it now but I liked it before, also, when it was a bit more wooded. I just wish during the reno, they would have dug out the pond more, added some deeper spots, lined it with riprap, added a big fountain and left some of the overhanging shade/cover.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Couple of months ago we saw a private fish hatchery truck there releasing 150 excess catfish (with the County's permission of course) in to the pond.

The state has been stocking some local ponds and lakes with catfish.
    Does anyone know how big they are?

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    The state has been stocking some local ponds and lakes with catfish.
    Does anyone know how big they are?

I didn't think to take a pic of the men putting them from the truck in to the pond but I did capture a couple of pics of them in the shallows before the disappeared in to the deep. They looked to me to be about 18" to 24" in length.

In past years we have seen some fishermen now and then pull out quite large bass. So far this year we have only seen aquarium size blue gills caught. Haven't seen anyone hook one of the catfish. If I'm not mistaken the Community Pond may be catch and release.

Attachments

• IMG_5043.JPG
      IMG_5043.JPG
      83.4 KB · Views: 112
    • IMG_5044.JPG
      IMG_5044.JPG
      69.7 KB · Views: 111

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members