• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    My grandson turns seven next month. The gift will be a rifle of some sort.

I’m looking for suggestions for pellet guns, BB guns or maybe even a 22. Something accurate but that a seven year old can handle and operate safely.

Ideas?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Either a Daisy 99 or Cricket (22LR)

BTW, Numrich Arms has (had?) walnut Cricket stocks for only $25!!!!!

I snapped one up as the Cricket I got my 10yoa granddaughter was (is) pink. Alas, she outgrew it before she ever received it or ever had a chance to shoot it (otoh, she LOVES her Robin Egg Blue S&W M&P-15 22LR!!!!)

Attachments

• 83DD24E9-A093-4F37-9EBE-752CC582122E.jpeg
      83DD24E9-A093-4F37-9EBE-752CC582122E.jpeg
      40.5 KB · Views: 201
    • CBB9F3EA-4078-4C67-A066-502247710EC8.jpeg
      CBB9F3EA-4078-4C67-A066-502247710EC8.jpeg
      17.1 KB · Views: 201

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Short version:
    22: S&W 15-22
    BB: Crosman 781 or equivalent single-pump.
    Other consideration: Airsoft AR, electric.

Longer version:
    Just went through this with my sons, they are 11 now.
    The biggest issue starting off was finding something with a good length-of-pull. The Cricket was a perfect fit from 3-6 or 7 years old, then they quickly outgrew it. The Ruger 10/22 was still too big for them whenever we transitioned, so we went with the S&W 15-22. The adjustable stock was great for fitting and now at 11 they love customizing it. Still one of their favorites.
    They're big into airsoft now too and have AR style electric rifles that they love to shoot and customize. Something else to consider.
    BB guns - I would stay away from the multi-pump models. I believe it's the Crosman 781 that is their favorite now. Cuts down on the fun factor when you have to pump 10 times for a single shot.
    Good luck, your Grandson will love whatever you get I'm sure.
    One more thing to consider: Would he have to go to a shooting range every time to shoot? If so you might want to go with the BB or airsoft rifle. He'll get more time on the gun and have more fun. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Don't kids use sling shots anymore? :) All kids my age back then had 'em. :)

I'd second a BB gun.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Interesting, my wife and I were talking about this recently. I'm curious about Airsoft rifles and how they would work. I built a .22 AR pistol for when the kids get a little older, but my boy is almost 7 years old, I think I want to start with something a little smaller for him.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Interesting, my wife and I were talking about this recently. I'm curious about Airsoft rifles and how they would work. I built a .22 AR pistol for when the kids get a little older, but my boy is almost 7 years old, I think I want to start with something a little smaller for him.

I'm definitely not an airsoft expert, but if you're near mid-Calvert and want to check out one of the AR rifles you're welcome. These AR platform airsoft rifles are pretty awesome.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    This! Every child needs to start out with a Red Rider!

I bought my son a Red Rider for his first birthday.....the box said for ages 6 and up....i went with 6 months.

He didn't shoot it for a couple years. Got an epic eyeroll from my wife when he opened the present.

We still have it and enjoy shooting it every once in a while, 18 years later.

Great way to train the basics from a very young age.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I am in the 10-22 camp and just get a youth model stock/adjustable chassis that can be changed/adjusted as he grows into it. I don't know what the shortest LOP is on the Boyd's At-One, I just know that even fully extended, it's still a tad short for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom