• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I just saw a comment by a Maryland CCW permit holder I thought was interesting:

“And in Maryland if you have it (firearm) off your person (in a vehicle) and “not concealed” it is considered in transport mode and must be separate from the magazine”

The () above are mine for context....

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

“And in Maryland if you have it (firearm) off your person (in a vehicle) and “not concealed” it is considered in transport mode and must be separate from the magazine”

I agree, interesting. It does make some sense, be curious what those more knowledgeable of the vagaries of Maryland law have to say. Just another way to get tripped up in Maryland.

yeehall

Dec 21, 2020
    MD permit doesn't care about concealed or not concealed. If you have a permit to carry, that includes loaded transport whether concealed or not concealed.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Nope- untrue. The transportation element does not apply to a W&C permit holder at all as long as they are within any restrictions listed on the permit. The only transportation element that still applies to permit holders is the prohibition on rifles or shotguns being loaded.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Two things...

1. As mentioned above, W&C permit does not have to worry about the transportation element in Maryland.

2. Perfectly legal to have the firearm and loaded magazine in the same case. The magazine cannot be loaded into the firearm.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    How about the debate over W&C while driving down 295 south of 175- that example was brought up in my class and is much more murky.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    So you are suggesting it’s illegal to WC on the BW Parkway? From the Capital Beltway north toward Baltimore?

Googling BW Parkway firearm permits, I see National Capital parks (BW parkway) As of February 22 2010 a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under federal, state or local laws to legally possess “in this park”.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    How about the debate over W&C while driving down 295 south of 175- that example was brought up in my class and is much more murky.

It's a Federal Park, and as such, Federal parks recognize carrying by persons who can legally carry in the state the park is located in.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    So you are suggesting it’s illegal to WC on the BW Parkway? From the Capital Beltway north toward Baltimore?

Googling BW Parkway firearm permits, I see National Capital parks (BW parkway) As of February 22 2010 a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under federal, state or local laws to legally possess “in this park”.

Not sure it’s designated as a park and covered under that stature and yes our instructor did suggest it was illegal south of 175 even with the W&C.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Not sure it’s designated as a park and covered under that stature and yes our instructor did suggest it was illegal south of 175 even with the W&C.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/firearms-in-national-parks.htm

In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located. 54 U.S.C. 104906.

As of February 22, 2010, Section 512, Credit CARD Act of 2009*(54 USC § 104906*and*Title 36 Chpt. 1 Part 2 § 2.4) took effect changing federal law to make park firearm regulations reflect state law. For example, if a state allows open carry and/or concealed carry or loaded/unloaded firearms in vehicles, carrying a firearm or possessing loaded/unloaded firearms in a vehicle is allowed in a National Park in that state.

Per 18 U.S. Code § 930, park buildings (visitor centers, ranger stations, offices, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities, etc.) are still federal facilities and off-limits to firearms.
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/federal-ccw-law/other-federal-locations/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom