• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Friend at dusk, shot/hit a nice buck (of course per him :-) ) in any event ended up too dark to continue tracking. We were going to go out in AM (Sunday), until I read page 16 2021-2022. Quote “A person must have written permission when entering lands owned by another person or organization for the purpose of retrieving a deer”

The buck ended up in adjoining property, that he doesn’t have written permission. The owner is a company developing the land. Have to wait until Monday and ask a member of the construction crew. Not sure if they even know who the owner is.

Any recommendations?

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    How far across the property line is it? I'd imagine although technically against the rules, if you can drag it back over the property line within 50 yards/quickly, would be okay - arguing for trying to avoid wasted meat

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    In this case and intentions to save meat, id likely venture over and bring back. Remember red headlights don't put out a ton of light.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    He was in about 50 yards, due to the light, he quit tracking. Tomorrow is Sunday, if deer is still alive he will need his bow to finish him off. So he will be breaking many laws….

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    "You know I was tracking a deer and I thought I saw some people stealing copper pipe. My bad."

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    He was in about 50 yards, due to the light, he quit tracking. Tomorrow is Sunday, if deer is still alive he will need his bow to finish him off. So he will be breaking many laws….

If the shot was good, he will find him dead. Arrow recovery? Blood dark or light? Bubbles in it?

I would NOT take a bow over on that property. A nice 8" fixed blade should be able to reach the heart if found still alive.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    You'll be lucky to find it in the morning. It'll be chewed up by animals if you do.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If you want, you can call DNR to ask advice. One time I called and they said go and get it.
    Another time it went into property that had posted "no trespassing signs" and they said not to go onto property.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I agree, go tonight and just bring a knife. Been there done that, it sucks but its better than loosing the deer to the night time critters.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I helped my son track a deer last month that he shot just before dark. Maybe it's me but I find the blood easier to spot with a light when it's still wet. Once that blood dries I have a harder time finding it. It took us about 45 minutes to find it and it was almost through the woods and to the road, he was very cooperative LOL!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I shot a deer in a field. Walked 300 yrds or so to drive my truck back to the deer.When I popped over the hill there was a fox chewing on the deer's ass.I would guess 15 mins from shot to the fox finding the deer.I have always wondered if the fox was responding to the gun shot or just pure luck?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    First off, where was the hit? Gut shot? Non lethal shot?

Are you tracking good blood?

There's a lot missing from this story

If gut shot, it can take up to 8-10 hours for it to die.

Stick a "nice" buck in the heart with a knife? Take it from someone who has finished off his share of deer with a knife, DON'T EVEN TRY THIS ON A BUCK WITH ANTLERS!!!

If it is a nice buck worth mounting, all taxidermists have replacement hides just for such occasions. If the varmints have their way with the deer, it can still be mounted if the carcass is found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom