• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I have one. I use the convertor hose to 20 gal of propane.

It heats a deep 2 car garage, but. I think it uses more fuel than I like.

It is cool. I mean hot.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    9K BTU , I wonder what square footage that would do ?

200 to 225 square feet they claim. Thinking for a couple of hours with a 1 lb. cylinder on high. Too many variables to know how warm it would get.

Walmart tends to bury their product specs toward or at the very bottom. Click on the link above and scroll down if interested in more info, and you'll see more specs listed.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I bought it's predecessor 10 years ago and it's still working fine.

Get the 20lb tank adaptor. The 1lb disposable tanks will freeze up when there's about 1/3 left.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    It works great in my boat for winter time fishing for warming up our hands, it does provide a little overall heat near it when I have the top cover up.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Hey, I have a Big Buddy heater, tested it a couple times, but never really used it. Had it pretty much as an emergency backup if there was no heat, but never needed it. I think I gently stripped out one of the two hose connectors, probably fixable (please let me know if you know how I might try to fix it), I can't get the hose on one of the gas in connectors, but the other one works. Trying to decide if I should just fix it and keep it for a power outage, or sell it. Maybe make me an offer and I'll be tempted to sell... thanks either way, you folks are all right!

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    heres a video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O5tosOR9Lk

Looks like it's selling for $180 on amazon. If I can find the hose to connect it to a grill sized propane tank, I'll give you that too; I don't even have a propane grill anymore, getting away from propane.

Your video is of the Big Buddy heater (larger). 2x the BTU and cost of the heater posted in this thread. Both are good...

A 9k btu heater isn’t going to do much in a garage.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Hey, I have a Big Buddy heater, tested it a couple times, but never really used it. Had it pretty much as an emergency backup if there was no heat, but never needed it. I think I gently stripped out one of the two hose connectors, probably fixable (please let me know if you know how I might try to fix it), I can't get the hose on one of the gas in connectors, but the other one works. Trying to decide if I should just fix it and keep it for a power outage, or sell it. Maybe make me an offer and I'll be tempted to sell... thanks either way, you folks are all right!

Is this a reverse-threaded fitting?

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Pay attention to the 20lb. connection requirements:

If you use a threaded connection that screws to one of the bottle ports, you'll need an oil filter but not a regulator.
    If you use a quick disconnect hose that attaches to the quick disconnect port on the one side, next to the threaded bottle port, you do NOT need an oil filter but you DO need a regulator. (The regulator will be included with the quick-disconnect hose)

The reason for this is because high pressure LPG straight out of the bottle will "squeeze" oils used in the construction of the hose out of the inner hose and will eventually clog up the pilot light.
    The quick disconnect hose is regulated so it reduces the LPG pressure before it even enters the hose, so the oil filter is not necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN4uB7_ED5E

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    that was fast....

yes, the one I have is the Big Buddy, the double sized one.

good question about reverse threading, I'll have to check it out again and see; pretty sure I have the hose/regulator with it.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I have the Big Buddy, it works great. We drain the water system at the cabin for the winter. If I head in during winter and don’t want to deal with water, then I won’t have a fire in the furnace or fireplace. I just haul in what I need. So I take this, close the doors to everywhere else, and use this to heat the large main room. With the hose out a window to a grill tank, I keep it lit at night. We have propane lamps plumbed on the walls, they help to take the chill and dampness out as well. Sometimes just running one of those during the day is enough, but it depends on temps.

The small one would probably only be good for a little heat in a garage. Sometimes that’s all you need, but I see the Big Buddy at $109 online, and would be a better choice for that. The small one is showing at $79 for me. For a blind that should work well.

Good advice on the hose and cylinders in this thread.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I have had one a long time....

.....it will run you out of a six man pit blind on the lowest setting!!!

.....it will keep a box shore blind, that also seats six, toasty on high.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm looking to use one of these for a winter camping trip because I'm a wuss. :D Last year when we went it got down to 17 degrees one night, and although I have a zero degree bag and didn't really get cold, it would have been much more pleasant with a bit of heat in the tent.

This year I'm upgrading everything - I bought a bunch of cheap gear last year because I wasn't sure this was something I'd want to do again, so this year will be a better/bigger tent - one I can actually stand up in - a bit better/bigger sleeping bag, a wider camping cot - that kind of thing. A friend of mine has a Mr. Heater Buddy that I intend to borrow, but I'll have to get the Mr. Heater hose setup to run it off of a 20 lb propane tank. I've read that it'll burn through a 16 oz bottle in about 4-5 hours.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    heres a video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O5tosOR9Lk

Looks like it's selling for $180 on amazon. If I can find the hose to connect it to a grill sized propane tank, I'll give you that too; I don't even have a propane grill anymore, getting away from propane.

180??? what is going on?

I bought Big buddy for like 79 dollars on sale at Lowes a year ago. The extra heat helped me finish working in the garage.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    This thread needs model numbers. There are a number of features that distinguish these heaters.

Point taken sir. Big Buddy MH18B with adapter, that was not free.

Attachments

• big-buddy-glaron.jpg
      big-buddy-glaron.jpg
      33.7 KB · Views: 269
    • model-MH18B.jpg
      model-MH18B.jpg
      41.7 KB · Views: 266

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members