• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I thought I'd start a thread to see what people have or like when it comes to taking game with a rifle. I realize that Maryland is mostly a shotgun and muzzle loader state, but I really like rifles, and I like the idea of being able to reload for them. I have yet to hunt anything other than fowl and small game like cottontail and squirrel, but I've always wanted to try deer hunting.

I currently have 3 bolt action rifles that could be considered deer rifles, and oddly, none of them were produced as hunting guns - they are all military rifles that have been turned into sporting rifles:

Mauser G98 chambered in 25-06 with a Timney trigger and Redfield 3x9x40. I have some game loads for this rifle that my Dad loaded, and a buddy of mine took a deer with it last weekend with a one shot kill:
    117 gr Sierra BT
    55.0 gr H4831

Mauser K98 in 8mm Mauser with a Western Field 6x33 fixed. It has the original stairstep barrel. The ammo I have for this:
    150 gr Hornady
    47.0 gr H335
    (I tried to look up this load - seems that H335 might not be a great powder for this, but my Dad reloaded it, and he knew what he was doing at the reloading bench, so....I guess it's a solid load?)

1903A3 in 35 Whelen AI, Jaeger trigger, and a 2x7 Redfield variable - I lucked up into this gem from a fellow MDS'er who was thinning his collection a bit.

I figure that with these three rifles, there's not much I can't do - the 25-06 is small enough for varmints like ground hogs and prairie dogs, the 8mm Mauser isn't the fastest game in town (that load goes about 2650 fps) but I'm sure it'd do the business on a whitetail, and the 35 Whelen can take just about anything on the North American continent.

Now all I need to do is make up my mind that I want to start hunting - I think I'd like to.

So what do you guys think is the bee's knees when it comes to deer rifles and cartridges?

Attachments

• 770FBECE-A86F-4FE2-B1AB-AF1A3E274010.jpg
      770FBECE-A86F-4FE2-B1AB-AF1A3E274010.jpg
      44 KB · Views: 606
    • 9C33E582-8B46-4186-AD06-E78C0456F754.jpg
      9C33E582-8B46-4186-AD06-E78C0456F754.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 617
    • BC6526EC-14DC-4A66-A363-9EC6796F3146.jpeg
      BC6526EC-14DC-4A66-A363-9EC6796F3146.jpeg
      54.7 KB · Views: 607

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I hunt deer with a Ruger American predator in .308, and will be hunting with a home built AR-350.

The Ruger is very accurate, but I dislike the ballistics of .308 in a short barrel. I hunt a lot of open ground, and will likely be upgrading in the off season to something flatter.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I think if I was going to buy a gun specifically for Bambi, both of those would be high on my list, with maybe the 270 edging it the 308. I'm also interested in the 280 Remington.

Ive shot more with my 270, but even the 30-06 is a favorite for many. Ive never owned a 30-06 though

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I’ve done a couple with blackout and was very satisfied with performance. Have a soft spot for .50 Beowulf in heavy cover. .308 is my preferred overall performer(though I seldom use it anymore my son is up and running). It’s been my experience that premium bullets matter on blood trailing. Deer season XP, fusions, tac tx, all perform way way way better than generic Privi soft points, etc. I saw above someone lamenting shirt barrel ballistics of 308. I haven’t seen an issue with 16”, but he may mean shorter.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I took a deer yesterday, first one with 30-06. Remington 165s. Shoulder hit (small hole) no exit. bullet was found under the skin on the other side. Buck dropped immediately, that much energy entering without exiting must have been pretty potent. Overall really happy with it's performance.

I've taken a few with a 30-30 in the woods and I like that for short range under 120 yards.

I used a 300 win mag once at 150yds and there was a lot of bloodshot.

Redbone1

Mar 1, 2020
    I usually hunt with either a .30-06 or a .45-70. I have taken more animals the 06. I take the .45-70 when I'm expecting ranges to be closer and the 06 when long shots are possible. I like them both and both have there place.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have a 30-06 for deer although I think its more powerthan is necessary for this area. I've never had any spots that were much over 100 yards, usually much less. My brother in-law got a ruger american in 6.5 creedmoor and that seems like a really nice caliber for deer, more than adequate power without the extra unnecessary thump that the 06 has, much more pleasant to shoot too. If I was buying a deer rifle now I think thats what i would get.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I took a deer yesterday, first one with 30-06. Remington 165s. Shoulder hit (small hole) no exit. bullet was found under the skin on the other side. Buck dropped immediately, that much energy entering without exiting must have been pretty potent. Overall really happy with it's performance.

I've taken a few with a 30-30 in the woods and I like that for short range under 120 yards.

I used a 300 win mag once at 150yds and there was a lot of bloodshot.
    I've been studying and reading - it seems like one of the things that everyone agrees on is that no one agrees on ANYTHING! LOL!

There are some people who say that the 35 Whelen is too much bullet. Others say that the bigger, heavier bullet leaves less bloodshot meat. Some people want magnum performance, but I've read that the 300 Win Mag can be a bit much at shorter distances as well.

It sounds like your shot with the 30-06 was a good shot with great bullet performance - it wasn't a through shot, but it almost was, and did exactly what it was supposed to...according to what I've read. I'm almost embarrassed that I have no firsthand experience of my own.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    You have this continent pretty much covered with those 3 chamberings. So unless you want another rifle....

Two potential issues I see with your current rifles? One is that they're arguably too nice to hunt with. That's of course up to you. The other is that you may need to plan to keep ammo in good supply, because you may not find ammo just anywhere.

Want a deer rifle because.....well, just because? A synthetic stocked rifle takes care of your first issue. A rifle chambered in the big 3 of .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester or .30-06 Springfield gives you 3 highly effective deer rounds, and on the shelf gas station ammo availability. I'd opt for '06 myself because of what I'd argue is a bit more flexibility, but they're all highly capable deer cartridges.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    You have this continent pretty much covered with those 3 chamberings. So unless you want another rifle....

Two potential issues I see with your current rifles? One is that they're arguably too nice to hunt with. That's of course up to you. The other is that you may need to plan to keep ammo in good supply, because you may not find ammo just anywhere.

Want a deer rifle because.....well, just because? A synthetic stocked rifle takes care of your first issue. A rifle chambered in the big 3 of .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester or .30-06 Springfield gives you 3 highly effective deer rounds, and on the shelf gas station ammo availability. I'd opt for '06 myself because of what I'd argue is a bit more flexibility, but they're all highly capable deer cartridges.

Yeah, I'd say they are too nice to hunt with. I wouldn't mind a wood stock if it was already beat up but I would hate to be the one to beat up nice stocks like those have.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

If I buy a rifle, it will almost certainly be matte finish with a synthetic stock - something that I'm not going baby or worry about water damage and that kind of thing, and it will almost certainly be in one of those three - for some reason I have an itch for a 270.

Yeah, I'd say they are too nice to hunt with. I wouldn't mind a wood stock if it was already beat up but I would hate to be the one to beat up nice stocks like those have.
    The 8mm Mauser sporter isn't nearly as nice as the 25-06, but I wouldn't be afraid to take any of them out on a hunt. Will they get a ding or two - probably, but that 35 Whelen, as beautiful as it is, isn't a fun gun to shoot at the bench - it's supposed to be a hunting gun IMO.

There once was a time where people had beautiful guns and they took them out to hunt - that was just part of it. These days it's all matte finishes with black or camo synthetic stocks. I find beauty in both.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Deer hunting

I typically do most of my deer hunting with one of the below caliber and cartridge combinations.

7mm Mauser with 175 grain round nose soft point
    8 mm Mauser with 198 grain round nose soft point
    30-06 with 200-220 grain round nose soft point
    308 with 180 grain round nose soft point
    270 grain with 150 grain round nose soft point
    50 cal ML 300 grain Shockwave

Saying that there are no flies on any of the calibers you already have. I wouldn’t delegate the 25-06 to varmints for example. I would use the 25-06 as my bean field rifle, the Whelen as my woods rifle and the 8mm Mauser would be the combo rifle in case I wasn’t sure if I was strictly doing woods or bean fields. Of the three though I think the best overall solution would be the 8 mm Mauser with the 2-7 off the Whelen… I would get a bigger scope for the 25-06 like a 4-16 and a 1-4 for the Whelen and call it good.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I typically use a Remington 7600 30-06 when I’m hunting in West Virginia. Although I shot a buck out there last week with my 35 Whelen 7600. In MD I hunt in Harford County, and used a Savage 220 slug gun until last year. Now I’m hunting with a 350 Legend Savage Apex 110. Have several other “deer rifles”, but they see little action except going to the range.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Almost half the state is Rifle, only center counties are shotgun/ SWC. I have and use some of the following: 30-06, 30-30, 44 Mag, 12 gauge, and a couple ML’ers. Favorite being the 30-06, but I don’t go to rifle counties so much anymore. Looking to get a Henry rifle in 350 Legend for next year that will be good statewide.

Attachments

• E5B21ED8-FE9A-4826-86D4-83CFD057A1D1.jpeg
      E5B21ED8-FE9A-4826-86D4-83CFD057A1D1.jpeg
      63.7 KB · Views: 261

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I typically do most of my deer hunting with one of the below caliber and cartridge combinations.

Saying that there are no flies on any of the calibers you already have. I wouldn’t delegate the 25-06 to varmints for example. I would use the 25-06 as my bean field rifle, the Whelen as my woods rifle and the 8mm Mauser would be the combo rifle in case I wasn’t sure if I was strictly doing woods or bean fields. Of the three though I think the best overall solution would be the 8 mm Mauser with the 2-7 off the Whelen… I would get a bigger scope for the 25-06 like a 4-16 and a 1-4 for the Whelen and call it good.
    I've got some plans for the 8mm Mauser - first things first will be a Timney trigger to replace the stock trigger. It isn't awful, but it's not even close to the Timney on the 25-06. Then I'll get a different scope - it's not that I don't trust the Western Field 6x that's on it, but I agree that it could use a bit better glass.

The 25-06 stays as it is - that rifle has been in that configuration since my Dad built it in the 1960s.

You seem to really like the round point bullets - I'm curious why. Every hunter seems to have a preference they develop, so it would be neat to get your perspective on it.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Primary deer / hog caliber is 6.8spc. The 115 grain Federal Fusions shoot great and are devastating on deer. I’d love to take this bear hunting too, but i’m not sure if its up to the task.

Secondary gun and my oldest sons gun is the .308 shooting 150 grain Federal Non Typical. He can shoot the bullseye out of a target with his $250 Savage Axis and this ammo. It also does wonders on deer.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    First of all, 25-06 is a wonderful caliber and entirely adequate for taking deer-sized game to include black bears.
    Me and the Mrs each shot a Texas whitetail this year with a 6.5 Creedmoor - very nice to shoot and adequate for anything smaller than an elk, out to incredible ranges.
    If I ever go on an elk/caribou/moose hunt I will probably get ahold of a 300 WinMag. That will handle anything in North America, just as your 35 Whelen will.
    To round it out, maybe 22-250 for the small stuff and 44mag for a levergun. Fun stuff all around.

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom