• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    MVA offices are appointment only. My kayak trailer tag fell off and got lost and it took 30 days to get the appointment date to get in to get a replacement.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    If the Dems win, the "Pandemic" will end Nov 4th

Same. As soon as I shoot a deer and see it go down, for the hour wait I pull out the phone and start logging the deer in.
    I'll call DNR tomorrow to see if they're waving renewals, because I'm fairly certain that the pandemic will last through the winter.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Thanks for the links.

Quick update for those who care:
    The new issue is the free seasonal permit for the southern region hunting areas can't be renewed without renewing the license first. The permit is used for parking and making a reservation (for those who were unaware).
    I called the DNR reservation number, and I was told that my request for information was being routed up the chain. The supervisor mentioned that as soon as he gets word, he will give me a call. I'll probably call again at the end of the week.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    If its that much trouble why not just go onto compass and buy the license? I spent $50.50 and got my hunting licenses, bow stamp, muzzleloader stamp, fur bearers and MD waterfowl stamp. Still got to go to the PO and get the Fed waterfowl for $25.

Most sets of arrows cost as much or more than the license and stamps you have to buy. I don't want to fight about it, but if it is going to slow you down, just buy it. Good luck getting a quick response to something out of the normal during Covid work slow downs in the Government.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    If its that much trouble why not just go onto compass and buy the license? I spent $50.50 and got my hunting licenses, bow stamp, muzzleloader stamp, fur bearers and MD waterfowl stamp. Still got to go to the PO and get the Fed waterfowl for $25.

Most sets of arrows cost as much or more than the license and stamps you have to buy. I don't want to fight about it, but if it is going to slow you down, just buy it. Good luck getting a quick response to something out of the normal during Covid work slow downs in the Government.

Because it's the principle. Maybe you do, but I don't like giving the gov't any more money than absolutely necessary. I already pay them thousands in state taxes. And the season hasn't even started yet. What you do with your money is certainly up to you, but I prefer to save where I can.

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Same here and I understand, I am libertarian, but I fight where I can in voting and pressure and would avoid giving them any more money than I can. You'll eventually have to buy that license later this year when the order is lifted and it seems to be causing you a headache now.

I got my popcorn and I want to see how this works out. :popcorn:

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Same here and I understand, I am libertarian, but I fight where I can in voting and pressure and would avoid giving them any more money than I can. You'll eventually have to buy that license later this year when the order is lifted and it seems to be causing you a headache now.

I got my popcorn and I want to see how this works out. :popcorn:

:shrug: It's my time to "waste", so whatever, dude.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And the license money directly goes to supporting what we do...

So I don’t see it as saving money. Or at least saving it reduces the resources available to support what I do (maintaining and purchasing new public lands. Habitat preservation. Etc.)

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    And the license money directly goes to supporting what we do...

So I don’t see it as saving money. Or at least saving it reduces the resources available to support what I do (maintaining and purchasing new public lands. Habitat preservation. Etc.)

:thumbsup:

Yes, and of all the taxes I pay, at least this money isn't going to pay for free licenses of those that don't want to work or some other program like that.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    :thumbsup:

Yes, and of all the taxes I pay, at least this money isn't going to pay for free licenses of those that don't want to work or some other program like that.

There is certainly that. In most cases, fees go directly to the program you are using. Taxes get to be used for, whatever. There are of course many examples where fees aren't used for the thing you are paying for, but in most cases fees to government entities go to running the programs you are paying for.

vehicle registration and license fees go to pay the DMV to operate, reducing how much taxes everyone would have to pay, to keep it operating (putting more of the burden on those who want to drive) as another example.

There are some taxes that do go directly to support the thing. Gas tax money goes directly to highway funding. On the other hand, gambling taxes go to pay for "education". Which actually in this case in MD means whatever MD Leg wants to spend it on.

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    wow , yes the licenses are still good till 30 days after the state of emergency ends, including car registrations, hunting licenses, etc, but they can be renewed on line, I got my hunting license on line, as well as the fishing stickers for my boat. so Why wait for the rush, or you can pay now or pay later.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    There are some taxes that do go directly to support the thing. Gas tax money goes directly to highway funding.

They aren't protected as they should be. Remember O'Malley raiding the Transportation fund and Chesapeake Bay fund to "Balance the budget" to run for president. I was really surprised the liberals didn't revolt over the Chesapeake funds, but then the Sun or local news wouldn't really report it either. After that I REFUSE to donate to anything the state runs anymore.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Here is the exact wording from DNR.

Grace period extended to all Maryland license holders

Governor Hogan has issued an executive order related to licenses, permits, registrations, and other authorizations that may be expiring or up for renewal during the state of emergency. The executive order immediately grants a grace period of 30 days after the date of termination of the state of emergency. This includes items processed at our Maryland Department of Natural Resources Licensing Service Centers

As I see it, you don't have to renew until 30 days after they declare the State of Emergency is over.

Here is a quote from the site. Note it uses the word "certain".

EXPIRED PRODUCT EXTENSION:*Governor Hogan has granted a grace period for certain licenses, permits, registrations, and other authorizations that have expired or would otherwise be renewable during the state of emergency (since March 5, 2020). The grace period will last 30 days after the termination of the state of emergency.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/License-Licensing-Appointment-Information.aspx

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Here is a quote from the site. Note it uses the word "certain".

EXPIRED PRODUCT EXTENSION:*Governor Hogan has granted a grace period for certain licenses, permits, registrations, and other authorizations that have expired or would otherwise be renewable during the state of emergency (since March 5, 2020). The grace period will last 30 days after the termination of the state of emergency.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/License-Licensing-Appointment-Information.aspx

Yes, and nowhere in the specific EO regarding licenses does it exempt sporting licenses from the expired product extension.
    https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/2089_001.pdf

According to the EO, suspension of covered authorization may be excluded with reasonable public notice. It very much seems that has not happened yet, as this EO listed on the DNR page still shows “ Grace period extended to all Maryland license holders.”

Are you going by your opinion? Or do you have a cite that refers to hunting or fishing licenses? Are you DNR? If so, what guidance has been given on enforcement of this?

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I am looking at the emergency order and it states as follows on the bottom of the first page.

Renewal of expiring permits, licenses, registrations, and other governmental authorizations often require the public to enter public buildings and interact with State employees and other persons, which may be contrary to prudent social distancing,

You are not required to enter public buildings or contact state employees for a hunting or fishing license. You can do that online or at Walmart or a sporting goods store you are already shopping at. IMO, this does not sound to meet that statement.

You are required to enter public buildings or contact state employees for a Drivers license, building license, permit extension and a host of other things. This does sound to meet that statement.

This is the law and exact language matters, heavily.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Yes, and nowhere in the specific EO regarding licenses does it exempt sporting licenses from the expired product extension.
    https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/2089_001.pdf

According to the EO, suspension of covered authorization may be excluded with reasonable public notice. It very much seems that has not happened yet, as this EO listed on the DNR page still shows “ Grace period extended to all Maryland license holders.”

Are you going by your opinion? Or do you have a cite that refers to hunting or fishing licenses? Are you DNR? If so, what guidance has been given on enforcement of this?

Just pointing out a link, not offering an opinion and if I did it would be irrelevant because my opinion doesn't matter. The site I linked is as far as I've looked. Yes, I am employed by the department. No guidance as I'm not LEO.

Just pointing to the latest link for my 2A friends to have as a reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom