• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    PG Trap & Skeet, has a rack inside the fence for shotguns. Carried my semi-auto in a gun case to the rack. Pointing downrange , removed the shotgun from the case. Locked the bolt to the rear & removed the breach flag. Released the bolt multiple times, just a safety procedure I always perform. Set in rack with the breach closed, was chastised for not having the breach open.

There were two pumps, with closed breach and none of the over/under’s stacked had an open breach.

What is the difference between a semi having a closed breach with an over/under an or pump?

On another PG note, since they reopened in COVID environment, Morgan in the store, has a rag on! Anyone else notice?

Thanks

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    That's a great question, and I think the other shotguns should be cracked to open the action as well.
    The might want to broach the subject about the open breech to the RO,
    otherwise you risk a breach in the relationship..

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think the pumps and semi's (and bolt action too!) should have the actions open because it's possible to do it. The single shot, O/U and S/S are a little difficult to rack open

20 years ago, in our beginners shotgun league at PGT&S, we instructed participants in what was acceptable at the time; that is to have pump and semi auto stored breech open; O/U and break-open singles were to be racked empty and closed. I do realize some rules have changed there over time, such as no cased shotguns in the facility. I'm not sure their racks would hold a 28" Skeet gun while open. I'm not suggesting it, but I'm (pleasantly) surprised chamber flags are not required for pump and semi-auto shotguns.

Recently, the question arose at a Sporting Clays range on the eastern shore - the first place where I experienced racking the O/U broken. To be sure of playing nicely while in Rome, I asked. RO said either open or closed was acceptable.

Unfortunately we're seeing empty gun protocols going every which way with little consistency range to range, whether it is shotgun, pistol or rifle. I don't know if it's a useful improvement in safety protocols, a creeping thought that if this is good, more must be better, or in response to an actual event at a range.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Chastised? Someone working said you were the most unsafe human in the history of Planet Earth or was it just a quick quiet one sentence "hey, can you open that up?"

If you were being told that OSHA was in the woods guille-suited up with B-nocs and you were a split second away from shutting it all down for thousands of people who shoot there yearly... "Ok, boomer"

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    Pump, semi, or for that matter bolt or lever shotgun open breach always - break action guns (over under, side by side, drilling ....just empty and closed, unless the side by side is a Darne...then sliding breach open

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom