• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    No replacement for a lever action, even a post JM Marlin is still an excellent gun as long as you inspect what you are buying well. A JM Marlin is a work of art. Im hoping they keep making the 1895 GBL once Ruger takes over, great warranty and better management.

My 1895s in .45-70 and .444 are some of my favorites to shoot. Little hard on the shoulder but not terrible. Look forward to a future hog hunt to stop the porkzilla explosion.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Since you stated a “under 100 yard hunting rifle”,I’d vote for the lever action. Now, if hunting open fields at longer ranges I’d go single shot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What , no love for Ruger #3 ?

If you * Like * a single shot , go for it , they both have their place , and both will slay Bambi with authority .

And singles have no issues with COL or bullet shape .

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Barrel length has no affect on accuracy. Longer barrels will yield slightly higher velocity. The lever Henry appears to have a thicker barrel so it probably has less whip and MIGHT be more accurate.

If determined to get a single shot, IMO get a Thompson Center contender/encore. Infinitely more flexible than the Henry.

But I vote lever. They are a hoot! (and something more likely to pass down.)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Another vote for the T/C Contender or Encore. I have a Contender pistol in .45-70 (My Manly Handgun) and an Encore rifle. The longer barrel will give you a longer sight radius with iron sights and more accuracy.

And with the new baby you can get a .22 rim fire barrel and use it as a single shot training rifle when they are old enough. Then as they get older you could change to a .243 barrel for youth deer gun until they are big enough to manage the .45-70 recoil.

List of available cambering for Contender Barrels:
    https://www.bullberry.com/oldcustom-contender-barrels

List of available cambering for Encore Barrels:
    https://www.bullberry.com/oldcustom-encore-barrels

Those are lists from a custom barrel maker, the common calibers will be available off the shelf from other vendors.

And you could put a Black Powder Barrel on it and use it for Muzzle Loader season.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Love my JM stamped Marlin 1895GS
    Found it NIB in Alaska on GunBroker.com

Attachments

• 1895GS.jpg
      1895GS.jpg
      84.1 KB · Views: 157

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    For a single shot, I'd suggest the Winchester/Browning 1885 High Wall action. I have one of the Miroku reproductions made in the recent past. It's thing of beauty and would make a wonderful heirloom to pass down. The historical aspect that it was John Browning's very first rifle design makes it even more desirable.

JoeR

RedneckGeek

Feb 28, 2018
    Worcester Co
    For a single shot, I'd suggest the Winchester/Browning 1885 High Wall action. I have one of the Miroku reproductions made in the recent past. It's thing of beauty and would make a wonderful heirloom to pass down. The historical aspect that it was John Browning's very first rifle design makes it even more desirable.

JoeR

This. As much as I enjoy my T/C Encore, Ruger #1 and Marlin 1895, the Browning 1885 High Wall just screams heirloom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom