Why is my sale of a used 870 stock going nuts on ebay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I use auction sniper. It'll put in your bid in the last 6 seconds. No sense showing your hand early

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Hmm, my Benelli SBE2 came with a bonus of a pistol grip stock which is useless to me. Maybe I should list that and my 20/22 Garand-style stock.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Last minute bidding makes tons of sense

If I bid $60 one day 1 people can bid me up over the next week. If I I'd $60 at the last second and the only other guy bidding has a high bid of $30 and thinks he is going to win....my last minute bid of $60 will win the auction at $31. I won't actually pay all the way to $60 because of proxy bidding

But on eBay, it only shows the next highest +$1 (or whatever it is). You are assuming that the people that bid you up won't otherwise bid. They don't know what you bid, so anything they throw in they have to be willing to pay, they arent just bidding you up.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    But on eBay, it only shows the next highest +$1 (or whatever it is). You are assuming that the people that bid you up won't otherwise bid. They don't know what you bid, so anything they throw in they have to be willing to pay, they arent just bidding you up.

Right. That's why it's dumb to bid early.

You bid $60 total but the max bid is $20. Then other people will run your bid up to $60 trying to outbid you.

But if the auction is at $20 and you bid $60 at the last second....may you win it between $21 and $60. Maybe you don't. But no one has the time to bid against you to run you out.

This doesn't work when there are 10 other interested bidders

It works like a charm ther there is 1 other guy who put in a low proxy bid

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I think those were Wingmasters

This one came off a Super Magnum and I'm about 90% sure it is the original stock from the factory on that gun based on the guy I bought it from

But hey....let's hope at least 2 of my bidders think you are right!

Haha, I was just messing with you. Looks like you got PAID for that stock.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Right. That's why it's dumb to bid early.

You bid $60 total but the max bid is $20. Then other people will run your bid up to $60 trying to outbid you.

But if the auction is at $20 and you bid $60 at the last second....may you win it between $21 and $60. Maybe you don't. But no one has the time to bid against you to run you out.

This doesn't work when there are 10 other interested bidders

It works like a charm ther there is 1 other guy who put in a low proxy bid

You are assuming that when the bid is $20, nobody else is going to bid. If everyone bids what they typically would, but at the last second, the outcome is the same.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    You are assuming that when the bid is $20, nobody else is going to bid. If everyone bids what they typically would, but at the last second, the outcome is the same.

"If"

But they don't bid the same. The presence of other bids changes the bidding dynamic of others.

Let's say you and I want something. I'm willing to pay $60. You're willing to pay $65. But of course both of us would like to pay less.

So in scenario one I bid $60. You keep bidding up by $1 until you outbid me. You win the auction at $61.

In scenario two I don't bid at all. You bid $30 hoping to get lucky and get it cheap. The auction sits a $1 for 1 week because no one else bids. At the last second I bid $60 and win the auction at $31.

Your bidding style changed based on my bidding style.

A disciplined bidder won't make that mistake. But Most people on eBay aren't disciplined.

It's not a theory. It's a tried and true well tested proved fact over 20 years of ebaying.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I took the magpul sga stock off my 870 when I sold it for only 750 dollars lol. ( I should have waited and got a grand for it).

You’ve inspired me to list my sga stock lol.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Clearly its the 870 auto sear pictured here that drove them to it

Attachments

• auto.jpg
      auto.jpg
      128.7 KB · Views: 323

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics