• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Calling is effective especially putting some horns together.
    I just watched a video taken a few minutes ago where a 8 point came right to them.
    The hunter passed it up and theirs only a small amount of day light left so it's prolly over for tonight.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Interesting and awesome story.

It's also a pretty good example of the effectiveness of calls.

Right, all the Youtube'rs are grunt , grunt, grunt. Just one doe bleat and he came my way. The "Power of the P" Never discount it!!!!

Nice goin Rob!
    After the rain stops and it's during the rut is a magic time to be in a tree. :party29:

Right and thanks, Tomorrow I'm driving my daughter right to her stand. Not sure if I'm making eggs first, or not. Butchering deer, working on canning stews, ect. and on.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Well, I went out last week. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Frustrated as all hell I went back to work this week for three days. Got grumpy, there goes another vacation day with the hurricane. Woke of this morning really not feeling it. Rain just quit, hunted last week 4 days and didn't even see one deer I wanted to shoot and I'm not very picky. No yearlings and Spikes or fours, maybe let a six go, maybe depending on my mood.

Something clicked today, I remember things "when it quits raining get out there" and I think the wasting another vacation day, except on purpose or laziness. So I made eggs for me and the dog and out I went. 7:05 I hear a noise behind me to the right. I look and see nothing. Then right in front down low a doe shoots by, then another deer. Too fast for heading to the bedding and not running. SOMEONE IS CHASING TAIL! But its too dark to see. The latter deer slows and in the low light it looks like a fork horn to me. I sigh and relax. I couldn't kill the doe and I got to let the forky walk. They head into the bedding area on the neighbors pines and it dies down. Maybe the other does will come, I need meat for caning.

8:05 Snap, She-I-it, there is an 8 point where they went into the bedding area. He turns and walks away from me. No, No, I grab my grunt call and "Urpp" and he stops and looks my way, then keeps walking away. "Damn" I grab the grunt call and slid it from B to D and "Mawww" His neck snaps like "Hey baby!" and starts heading my way. From 40+ yards out he heads at me zigging and zagging and not even a good quarting to shot and I don't like them for bow. At 15 yards, he got a sniff and the wind was heading that way, he let is slide. At five yards he's all rubby on the russian olive and put out the reobital gland smell. It looks to me like we are making eye contact. Steps right under my tree and stops. Put him in the crossbow scope thinking, I've never spined one, but its a crossbow and turning to the other side will make noise, lets go!

Twack, He instantly collapsed and hardly moved his front feet. Made some noise and at 20 seconds his head slipped down the tree and lights out. The arrows was sticking out 2" under the fetching still. The HBX head is amazing. I will post in the other braodhead thread about it.
    Nice thick-necked, roman nose sum-gun. Congrats. Well done.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Today I went out at about 2:00PM to try some rattling in some timber on the bluffs of the Missouri River. I parked at the bottom of a dirt road that leads up to the area I wanted to rattle. There was a truck up there with 2 guys from Pennsylvania. I talked to them for a minute and wished them luck. They were scouting for their hunt which starts tomorrow. I'd never seen them before but they were waiting a 2 other guys who were walking around looking for scrapes, rubs and whatnot. I met the other 2 as I walked along the road leading to the entrance of the trail along the top of the bluffs. I had talked to one of them about 4 years ago and they all seemed like nice guys so I won't hunt the area until they leave. I will have the area all to myself after they leave at the end of their week.

I did want to do a little rattling just to see if I got any response though but never saw anything. I did spook one small doe who was bedding up there.

I called my nephew who lives on the rez and he told me that there have been a lot of sighting of mountain lions in the bluffs. There are even pictures of the big cats. One is supposed to be a black mountain lion. If I do get a nice buck at the end of a day I'll have to make sure to track it down before I leave...

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Got this guy this evening. Wide racked 7 would have been an 8 but he broke one off. Neck all swollen tarsals were soaked rut is deff on.

Attachments

• 20201031_175737.jpg
      20201031_175737.jpg
      88.1 KB · Views: 260

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Wasn't planning on hunting today. Couldn't sleep this morning, got up and decided to get aggressive. At sunrise, I grabbed my archery target doe, and set up a ground blind on an old logging road at the corner of our horse pasture. Sprayed the area with estrus pee. I had seen a bunch of small bucks chasing Saturday morning. Was on the ground maybe 15 minutes and he came in. Unfortunately my shot hit a branch and hit farther back than is preferred. So that complicated recovery. 3 hours later I found him at the bottom of a ravine. One heck of a drag out.
    c84512db04a103006bdd72c66b1033ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Things have seemed to shut down this weekend here in NE Nebraska where I hunt. The out of state hunters are permitted to hunt on the rez for a week. Maybe the commotion they're making has the deer laying low. Not a gunshot heard during the prime hour at sunset.
    I did see one doe walking across the main highway 2 hours before sundown if that means anything.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Things have seemed to shut down this weekend here in NE Nebraska where I hunt. The out of state hunters are permitted to hunt on the rez for a week. Maybe the commotion they're making has the deer laying low. Not a gunshot heard during the prime hour at sunset.
    I did see one doe walking across the main highway 2 hours before sundown if that means anything.
    Any way to hunt up next to the rez(I realize it is probably enormous)? Look for escape routs maybe? Funnels?

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    Wasn't planning on hunting today. Couldn't sleep this morning, got up and decided to get aggressive. At sunrise, I grabbed my archery target doe, and set up a ground blind on an old logging road at the corner of our horse pasture. Sprayed the area with estrus pee. I had seen a bunch of small bucks chasing Saturday morning. Was on the ground maybe 15 minutes and he came in. Unfortunately my shot hit a branch and hit farther back than is preferred. So that complicated recovery. 3 hours later I found him at the bottom of a ravine. One heck of a drag out.

Where about do you hunt. I had a buck on camera earlier this year that looks just like him.

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012

Attachments

• FA300364-258D-4E73-B033-76BA5AD38542.jpg
      FA300364-258D-4E73-B033-76BA5AD38542.jpg
      94.1 KB · Views: 207

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member