• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Anyone taking a youth out this weekend deer hunting?
    I’ll be taking my son out on both Saturday and Sunday. Looks like rut is in full swing, so it alt to be great for them.
    Sadly this is the last year, my son will be able to hunt during this season, as he’s 16 years old.

Anyways, to all those taking out a kid this weekend, GOOD LUCK! I hope they all bag a big one!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Silly question but Jr Hunt is "Firearms" appropriate per your area correct?

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Taking my 11 year old out for a long morning hunt. We have soccer tournaments the rest of the weekend. Youth day buck doesn’t count toward their regular season bag limit either which is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I'll be taking my 12yr old out. He has been practicing a lot shooting from the seated position using shooting sticks and his 30-30. Hopefully the weather cools off.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I’m working in the morning so my brother is taking my son and nephew. I’ll be joining them for the evening. The boy has a new 450 bushy to try out. I’m pretty stoked!

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    My son got a big bodied buck this morning. Dropped him in his tracks. About 60 yards, neck shot, with his 6.5 Creedmoor.

Attachments

• CD2CB747-F6CE-4D69-A0CA-035C3C684AF6.jpg
      CD2CB747-F6CE-4D69-A0CA-035C3C684AF6.jpg
      161.6 KB · Views: 208

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Congrats on a nice deer and clean kill.I was bow hunting around Lineboro this morning only heard one shot.I didnt see anything but squirrels.Was it slow everywhere?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Congrats on a nice deer and clean kill.I was bow hunting around Lineboro this morning only heard one shot.I didnt see anything but squirrels.Was it slow everywhere?

I thought the deer would be moving more today as well, especially with the rut taking place. We only seen 3 deer all day. A smaller buck and a doe came in, about an hour before the one he shot came by. Went back out till dark, didn’t see another deer. Only heard a few shots around us, all day.

The buck he shot, wouldn’t give him a broadside shot. He was walking away from us at an angle. I just grunted with my mouth, and that was enough for him to stop, turn and look. He said he only had a neck shot, and said he could make it. He did a great job!

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Nice Buck,, and nice gun.
    Sounds like a good time.

Thanks. He loves that rifle! It’s an Ruger American medium barrel weight, with a 4x12 vortex scope.
    Up until this season he was using a Savage axis in 243. He has been shooting the ruger all summer, and is shooting very well with it. Got another property, that’s all open fields, so he’s been practicing out to 300 yards with it.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Awesome, great job and good to see the kids getting out.

I was in Washington county today and saw three deer with in 15 yards and 10 more with in 70 yards. I only heard about 4 rifle shots until 10:30 when I quit and not one last evening at home. It worries me that less of them are probably getting out.

I thought the deer would be moving more today as well, especially with the rut taking place. We only seen 3 deer all day. A smaller buck and a doe came in, about an hour before the one he shot came by. Went back out till dark, didn’t see another deer. Only heard a few shots around us, all day.

What kind of area were you hunting? I was in a secluded point with deep hills on the opposite bank. I was outside a bedding area and deer kind of swirling all around. I wonder if they are mostly sticking to cover and bedding areas?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My son got a big bodied buck this morning. Dropped him in his tracks. About 60 yards, neck shot, with his 6.5 Creedmoor.
    I shot a spike buck one year that had a body like that. He was at lest a couple years old. Got him on the last day of bow season. :thumbsup:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Congrats Brick! I still remember my first deer and honestly biggest bucks I’ve ever shot was my brother taking me out on youth day!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom