• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chen t

May 20, 2020
    So I went in to register a P220 my father in law gave me as a present. He also has a caliber exchange kit to swap the slides to a 22. I asked DC MPD about registering it as a 45 and 22 and was told I can’t do that because the caliber is unique to the gun and I’m doing it. Has anyone else tried this?

Worst case I’ll just keep the slide and 22 ammo in VA. It was for cheap range shooting anyways.

BTW. They’re getting people in for appointments the day after they get the gun now. And the wait time between registration and pickup is now a week. Not sure if this is because registrations are going down or MPD has ramped up staffing. Looks like a mix of both

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    smh

You can legally change calibers all you want. no registration necessary.

the registration of regulated firearms has nothing to do with crime prevention (since most guns used in crimes are illegally obtained).

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm a little unclear what you are talking about. You took the gun to the mSP for the transfer? The serial number is on the frame once they get the serial number go ahead and do whatever you want with a caliber conversion. The 7 day wait is standard and I haven't heard of any hold ups on that since the 2013 debacle.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    I'm a little unclear what you are talking about. You took the gun to the mSP for the transfer? The serial number is on the frame once they get the serial number go ahead and do whatever you want with a caliber conversion. The 7 day wait is standard and I haven't heard of any hold ups on that since the 2013 debacle.

I made the same argument on the frame being the part that is registered. However I was told that the gun can only be registered in one caliber. So since I won’t have a registered 22, if I am ever caught with 22 ammo I would be breaking the law.

Earlier in the year it was more like 2 weeks between the first and second appointments.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I made the same argument on the frame being the part that is registered. However I was told that the gun can only be registered in one caliber. So since I won’t have a license with a 22, if I am ever caught with 22 ammo I would be breaking the law.

Earlier in the year it was more like 2 weeks between the first and second appointments.

Total ********. You can make it whatever caliber you want. They sell drop in conversion barrels in all kinds of calibers. Christ, the BGOS runs strong. Who told you this?

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I made the same argument on the frame being the part that is registered. However I was told that the gun can only be registered in one caliber. So since I won’t have a registered 22, if I am ever caught with 22 ammo I would be breaking the law.

Register it as a 45 since that is what it was built as and then do whatever you want. I have 40 S&Ws that get changed to 357 Sig all the time. You are not going to get in trouble for caliber exchanging it, you just cannot register a handgun as multi cal.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Register it as a 45 since that is what it was built as and then do whatever you want. I have 40 S&Ws that get changed to 357 Sig all the time. You are not going to get in trouble for caliber exchanging it, you just cannot register a handgun as multi cal.

Thanks! What about ammo since I don’t own a 22? Technically you need to have a firearm registered in that caliber to own the ammo in DC correct?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ok that seems different than what they were telling me there but it is MPD

They are totally wrong. You can put a .50 BMG slide on the frame if you can find one. I buy all kinds of calibers which MSP has no record of me owning firearms in. C&R and homemade guns. That’s not illegal. If they come to my house they can suck it.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Thanks! What about ammo since I don’t own a 22? Technically you need to have a firearm registered in that caliber to own the ammo in DC correct?

I missed that this was in the DC forum. I have no info on DC and their gun laws. MD let’s you do what you want to do without any problems, so many new shooters post here about roster stuff that I assumed it was MD. If you can’t own ammo for a caliber you don’t have a registered gun for I would follow what MPD says and/or talk to a lawyer knowledgeable on DC firearm laws.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    I missed that this was in the DC forum. I have no info on DC and their gun laws. MD let’s you do what you want to do without any problems, so many new shooters post here about roster stuff that I assumed it was MD. If you can’t own ammo for a caliber you don’t have a registered gun for I would follow what MPD says and/or talk to a lawyer knowledgeable on DC firearm laws.

Yeah seems like the easiest thing to do is to keep it in VA haha

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I didn't catch the DC part either so I'll ammend my answer to "Who the Hell knows"
    They have more stupid horseshit than MD does!

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    What about ammo since I don’t own a 22? Technically you need to have a firearm registered in that caliber to own the ammo in DC correct?

This used to be true but it was Heller II or III that changed that requirement.

As long as you have a registered firearm, you can have any ammo you want
    https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/titles/7/chapters/25/subchapters/VI/

as long as it is not on the restricted list: .50 BMG, AP, Depleted Uranium, etc. https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/7-2501.01.html

The applicable DC Code used to say something like: holder of a valid registration certificate of same gauge and caliber as ammunition in possession. (I pulled this wording from two different webpages of DC criminal defense attorneys so there is still bad info out there.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom