• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMC068

Nov 21, 2020
    I’m a new shotgun owner in Baltimore County (Best Arms 12 GA, 18.5”) which I purchased primarily for home defense. I’m looking for a place where I can practice/shoot with buckshot, not slugs at an outdoor facility or someone’s private land in (preferably) Baltimore County or Hartford Counties who would allow access.

I appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Thank you.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think you're not going to have a lot of success popping in on a forum with no history and asking to shoot on someone's private land. Just my opinion.

If you're OK with joining AGC, you can shoot buckshot on the 100yd range at 25yds. Might tear up your target stand if you're not using the right choke and/or Fed Flite Control, of course.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I think you're not going to have a lot of success popping in on a forum with no history and asking to shoot on someone's private land. Just my opinion.

This.

OP - posting up in the introductions forum before making big asks is probably a better approach.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I’m a new shotgun owner in Baltimore County (Best Arms 12 GA, 18.5”) which I purchased primarily for home defense. I’m looking for a place where I can practice/shoot with buckshot, not slugs at an outdoor facility or someone’s private land in (preferably) Baltimore County or Hartford Counties who would allow access.

Thank you.
    It took a long time for my fellow members to invite me to shoot with them on private property or the club ranges that they belong to. In addition to that I never asked, IIRC, but they invited me on their own free will. You need to put in the time to get to know us and for us to get to know you. I've made many friends on this forum over the years and made some enemies in the process too, but when I met the people in person that I was on bad terms with, we came to some form of understanding and have been friends since then.

You get out of this place what you put into it. We don't even know if you have any proficiency with firearms, other than you are a new shotgun owner.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

If you're OK with joining AGC, you can shoot buckshot on the 100yd range at 25yds. Might tear up your target stand if you're not using the right choke and/or Fed Flite Control, of course.

Could just aim at a point on the berm and shoot away also.

Thank you.

With all respect to JMC068, we see too many posts like this where the original poster (OP) never responds or makes another post.
    Hopefully you will become engaging and we'll get to know you better. Once you do, somebody will invite you to their property.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    With all respect to JMC068, we see too many posts like this where the original poster (OP) never responds or makes another post.
    Hopefully you will become engaging and we'll get to know you better. Once you do, somebody will invite you to their property.

I think a lot of shotguns will be for sale right after those first couple of rounds...

But but Joe said all I have to do is rack it???!!!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Could just aim at a point on the berm and shoot away also.
    I do a fair bit of that with birdshot when I'm simply function-testing for 3gun.

But for home defense buckshot, you REALLY should be seeing what your pattern is doing. There can be remarkable variations with choke and ammo type. Estate shotgun out of a cylinder bore is going to give you radically different results than Fed Flite Control from an IC or M. Knowing what that looks like can sometimes give you a better sense of what shots will be "safe".

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Fvck it. Shoot me a text at 443 605 8846. I'll help you out next weekend. Everyone starts somewhere.

JMC068

Nov 21, 2020
    First, I’d like to to thank those of who you took a moment to reply. I do appreciate it.

More importantly, the points a few of you made about my lack of a proper introduction or doing anything to start to know folks is spot on. I certainly apologize. In hindsight it was a poor way to jump in and reflects that I really have not used boards or sites like this before. I meant no offense to anyone nor to come across the wrong way.

Though I have handled various guns over the years and shot at some ranges with friends, this is the first gun I’ve owned, though I’m also taking the HQL class next week. At 52 years old I finally got to the point where I there’s just too much going on around us at this point to not do a few simple things to make sure my home and family are more protected. Plus, on the somewhat lighter side, when I have shot in the past, I’ve enjoyed it and look forward to doing more of that as well.

I’m not always fast to respond, but I hope to become more active here and look forward to learning from and engaging with this community.

Thanks for the chance to reset.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    First, I’d like to to thank those of who you took a moment to reply. I do appreciate it.

More importantly, the points a few of you made about my lack of a proper introduction or doing anything to start to know folks is spot on. I certainly apologize. In hindsight it was a poor way to jump in and reflects that I really have not used boards or sites like this before. I meant no offense to anyone nor to come across the wrong way.

Though I have handled various guns over the years and shot at some ranges with friends, this is the first gun I’ve owned, though I’m also taking the HQL class next week. At 52 years old I finally got to the point where I there’s just too much going on around us at this point to not do a few simple things to make sure my home and family are more protected. Plus, on the somewhat lighter side, when I have shot in the past, I’ve enjoyed it and look forward to doing more of that as well.

I’m not always fast to respond, but I hope to become more active here and look forward to learning from and engaging with this community.

:thumbsup: Welcome aboard!

This type of post ^^^ is what will tend to get much better responses.
    Keep talking, we want to get to know you.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I do a fair bit of that with birdshot when I'm simply function-testing for 3gun.

But for home defense buckshot, you REALLY should be seeing what your pattern is doing. There can be remarkable variations with choke and ammo type. Estate shotgun out of a cylinder bore is going to give you radically different results than Fed Flite Control from an IC or M. Knowing what that looks like can sometimes give you a better sense of what shots will be "safe".

I shot trap with my 590 years ago after I got it at Loch Raven just to get some practice in. Buckshot has a different recoil level though- recommend testing it out. Also recommend a Limbsaver slip on if shooting a bunch.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

This is what we're talking about. Keep doing things like this, asking questions, answering questions, etc... and you might not believe what happens.

Good reset and welcome to the chaos.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Welcome aboard!!! Continental arms in timonium allows buck shot. And unless you own a mansion, then 10 yards is the only distance you need. If you are having trouble finding buckshot, check the classifieds. At least 2x a month I see buckshot for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom