• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Juggerknocker

Feb 20, 2018
    Perry Hall, MD
    Hey all!

I’ve been thinking about getting a CZ, and really like the Steel frame IWI Jericho in particular. I’m not sure if it’s MD legal as I’ve never seen one in the handful of local shops I’ve browsed.

If they are not does anyone have a suggestion for a CZ 75 (clone or otherwise) as a good starter? I’ve only ever purchased directly in store and have never dealt with having a store order for me or ordering online and shipping to the FFL.

Appreciate any insight!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Subscribed as I am looking for a 9mm to get back into USPSA and steel challenge with.

(I have a custom 1911 doubles stack in both .45 and .40 but, want a 9mm as well ... and like I am interested in CZ ...

Edit: I shot a neighbors Sig 320 Legion and I’d have one on the way but, the reset on the trigger is simply too lonnnnnnnng for my liking; I prefer as near an instant reset as can be safely obtained, mechanically ...

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If they are not does anyone have a suggestion for a CZ 75 (clone or otherwise) as a good starter?

Are you looking for decocker or safety? 9mm or 45? Full size or carry?

My choices would be P01 or PCR for carry, SP01 Tactical for full size, 97BD for .45 (If you have large hands :)).

Those are all steel or alloy frame with decocker.

I don't know about the Jericho or CZ clones, but if you want to check out CZs in stock I would consider stopping by Baltimores Best Pawn/MD Elite Firearms in Finksburg and 2A sales in Jessup.

Both usually have CZs in stock and both are great dealers to work with. Unfortunately both are also quite a hike for you, but you could always call first and see if they have something worth looking at.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    You can also check gun broker. I have been on there looking at CZs lately. Plenty to choose from. A few are still stamped Czechoslovakia, if you’re into that.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Juggerknocker, the Jericho has been around long enough that it should be on the MD list of approved handguns.

Slsc98, if you want a competition gun for USPSA production class, look at the Shadow 2.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Hey all!

I’ve been thinking about getting a CZ, and really like the Steel frame IWI Jericho in particular. I’m not sure if it’s MD legal as I’ve never seen one in the handful of local shops I’ve browsed.

If they are not does anyone have a suggestion for a CZ 75 (clone or otherwise) as a good starter? I’ve only ever purchased directly in store and have never dealt with having a store order for me or ordering online and shipping to the FFL.

Appreciate any insight!

Everyone should have at least one CZ 75 in their collection. The question you need to ask yourself is, which type of 'safety' do you prefer?

75's come set-up two ways, one with a frame-mounted standard thumb safety and the other with a thumb de-cocking lever. It's just a matter of personal preference. I prefer the thumb safety because I'm so used to shooting 1911's that operating it comes very natural to me. Try both and see which one you like. Many indoor ranges have them available to rent. If not, check and see if they have an SP-01. The SP-01 is a CZ 75 with a full-length accessory rail.

Why buy a clone when you can own an original for roughly the same price. The IWI Jericho is a fine handgun but, you'll probably have better luck locating a CZ 75 variant. Keep your options open to P-01's, SP-01's and CZ 75 Compacts. You really can't go wrong.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I like the 'point-n-click" interface of a decocker in a carry gun, but it's always what you train with. Even the CZ-75 variants that feature 1911 controls can be safely carried uncocked with the safety off, to provide a double-action first shot.
    ...My choices would be P01 or PCR for carry...
    I have both and the PCR is slightly lighter and much easier to conceal due to the more streamlined front end. The light rail corners on the P-01 interfere with my wallet pocket when IWB'ed at 4 o'clock.
    ...SP01 Tactical for full size...
    Have one of these. Nice heavy gun, maybe a little too heavy for some gaming rules, but very smooth shooting.

I'm missing and would actually like to have the BD, a standard-weight decocker version of the straight, full-size 75B...
    Those are all steel or alloy frame with decocker...
    Decockers-yes. The P-01 and PCR are both alloy frame guns, being nearly identical other than the under-barrel bayonet rail (some people mount lights on this rail) on the P-01. The SP-01 Tactical IS a steel frame gun.

The 'Compact' is very similar to the PCR, but with a 1911-style set of controls and a heavy steel frame. I have one of these, but prefer to carry the substantially lighter PCR.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Slsc98, if you want a competition gun for USPSA production class, look at the Shadow 2.

Oh man, thank you; I gotta find a way to get my hands on and dry-fire one of these! (I am too prone to just ordering off the Internet)

OP, sorry for thread hijack but, like you ive been jonsing for a hi-cap cuz for quite a while (and shopping for mags before Jan 21 is probably a wise thing :mad54:

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    Duffy's gun room had a couple Jericho's a few weeks back. They are definitely on the roster and were all steel versions. They also had some CZ 75's you could get your hands on. Give them a call before taking the ride to see if they still have any.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have an SP-01 Tactical, 75BD, and P-01, all steel frame decocker pistols. I also have the polymer framed P-07 and P-09. The latter two hardly have any rounds through them and are collecting dust. They shoot fine, I just prefer the metal pistols...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom