• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Is there any proof of these companies "anteing up" when needed? It's one thing to take 19.99 a month, however it is completely different to pick up a 40-100k dollar legal bill. Any documented usage of these insurances?

CCWSafe has. And was successful.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I was looking into these different policies and was about to sign up for USCCA. Has anyone noticed the clause exempting USCCA coverage for anything related to “undeclared civil war”? Seems like an easy out for them with all of the crap going on these days.

Research Giles V USCCA for non coverage. I don't know all of it, and the link someone posted somewhere is a members only page and could only grab the first paragraph.

I'd stay away from USCCA.

From Andrew Brancas Law of Self Defense page.

https://lawofselfdefense.com/federal-civil-suit-giles-v-uscca-self-defense-insurance/

"Welcome to today’s Law of Self Defense Members-only content! The case of Kayla Giles is back in the news, particularly her lawsuit in Federal court against USCCA for its purported breach of its obligations to cover her self-defense legal expenses as a Platinum-level member in good standing, because her defense attorney last week filed a motion requesting that the civil suit by Giles against USCCA be suspended while the criminal case for which Giles’ needs …"

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Is there any proof of these companies "anteing up" when needed? It's one thing to take 19.99 a month, however it is completely different to pick up a 40-100k dollar legal bill. Any documented usage of these insurances?

USCCA has run multiple videos as case studies/ads interviewing customers and telling tales of their defensive firearm use (sometimes just brandishing) that ended up requiring a legal defense they covered.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Thanks for the info. Looks like the case is held up by COVID crap, but it is interesting to see the preliminary stuff where USCCA seems to have decided mid-stream that they don’t think it’s self defense as defined by them. Not giving me the warm and fuzzy feeling for them as a company that would provide this type of service. Also very interesting that Delta Defense (the company listed as the actual business it seems) is saying “we’re just a marketing firm” and asking to be removed from the suit.

Research Giles V USCCA for non coverage. I don't know all of it, and the link someone posted somewhere is a members only page and could only grab the first paragraph.

I'd stay away from USCCA.

From Andrew Brancas Law of Self Defense page.

https://lawofselfdefense.com/federal-civil-suit-giles-v-uscca-self-defense-insurance/

"Welcome to today’s Law of Self Defense Members-only content! The case of Kayla Giles is back in the news, particularly her lawsuit in Federal court against USCCA for its purported breach of its obligations to cover her self-defense legal expenses as a Platinum-level member in good standing, because her defense attorney last week filed a motion requesting that the civil suit by Giles against USCCA be suspended while the criminal case for which Giles’ needs …"

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    USCCA has run multiple videos as case studies/ads interviewing customers and telling tales of their defensive firearm use (sometimes just brandishing) that ended up requiring a legal defense they covered.

But they haven't ponied up 300k+ and won an actual shooting.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Don’t know if this helps, but I found this:
    The article says that SHE claims she shot her husband in self defense. Was this ever proven?

Kayla Giles files federal lawsuit against companies providing self-defense insurance policy
    Source: RPSO
    Source: RPSO(KALB)
    By Anna Denton
    Published: Oct. 22, 2019 at 6:18 PM EDT
    Kayla Giles, the woman accused of fatally shooting her estranged husband, Thomas Coutee, Jr. in an Alexandria Walmart parking lot last year, is suing the insurance companies that are providing her a self-defense policy.

When Giles purchased the gun used to kill Coutee, she took out a self-defense insurance policy from United Specialty Insurance Company through Delta Defense, Inc. Now, in a federal lawsuit, Giles is suing both companies, saying that she has stopped receiving the payments from the companies that she began receiving when the alleged murder happened. She claims that Coutee's death was a result of self-defense.

The lawsuit claims that the ‘Platinum Member' policy Giles purchased provides $1 million and an additional $150,000 in legal fees. However, after receiving $50,000 of legal fees, the companies have 'refused further payment, despite amicable demand that they do so.'

Now, Giles and her attorney, Rocky Willson, are suing for the money that should have been covered by her policy, as well as interest amounts from the dates when she should have received payment.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    All of them are a risk. The Giles case, after reading about it while I was deciding on upping my membership, made me switch companies. It rubs me the wrong way that theu arbitrarily changed their policy decision mid stream. Their policy doesn't support their decision to terminate coverage and appears arbitrary. I was considering platinum membership after some discussion in another thread.

FYI, I went to ccw safe. Full on membership.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don’t know the dollar amount(s). But they absolutely have defended self defense shootings.

You have the articles?

I've yet to read anything about them from those other companies.
    I guess someone should tell CCWSafe to stop saying they are the only company to provide a defense to an actual fatal self defense shooting.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    All of them are a risk. The Giles case, after reading about it while I was deciding on upping my membership, made me switch companies. It rubs me the wrong way that theu arbitrarily changed their policy decision mid stream. Their policy doesn't support their decision to terminate coverage and appears arbitrary. I was considering platinum membership after some discussion in another thread.

FYI, I went to ccw safe. Full on membership.

I haven't read everything, but I wonder if the defendant brought her own attorney or used a USCCA provided one?
    That's probably the reason CCWSafe pretty much requires you to use their vetted lawyers.

Like people here who say "So and so is a great lawyer", how do they know? Have they had a counsel of trial lawyers vet that person and stand behind them? Nah. They used them once for something and was successful.

I have ZERO issue with CCWSafe providing counsel.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    You have the articles?

I've yet to read anything about them from those other companies.
    I guess someone should tell CCWSafe to stop saying they are the only company to provide a defense to an actual fatal self defense shooting.

I think CCW safe says they are the only ones to beat a murder 1 charge, or something to that affect. Their claim was very specific.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Blaster thanks. I haven’t made a final decision yet but am leaning towards CCWSafe insurance. Your comments are helpful.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I think CCW safe says they are the only ones to beat a murder 1 charge, or something to that affect. Their claim was very specific.

I did a little more poking around the internet. (duckduckgo, NOT google - I'm done with them.)

The details of that successful First Degree Murder case are here.

Summary: Bad guy Kelly Wilkerson and his wife physically attacked Stephen Maddox two times in one day. Each time Maddox was able to break free and flee. Maddox called 911 but before he could complete the conversation Wilkerson rushed him again. It took 5 shots to stop the threat.

Police showed up and Maddox, thinking he had nothing to fear, fully cooperated in the investigation. North Carolina did a crummy job and Maddox went to trial on First Degree Murder charges.

CCW Safe hired an investigator to do the state's job that it failed to do, and embarrassed them in court.

Pretty good evidence that CCW Safe does what they claim to do. Not saying the others won't also do the same, but I haven't seen a link to where that's happened yet.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Look up Kayla Giles. The gist is USCCA paid out around 50k, then stopped paying her lawyers because they believed her to be guilty. Then they refunded her last years worth of payments and tried to wash their hands of it. Except, they don't have an exemption in their policy for that. CCW safe does have that exemption that they review the cases before sending their attorneys. Thats what made me switch. She is suing for them to fund her defense as they are supposed to do.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    What is the deal with certain states banning firearm insurance??

"NOTE: The following states NY, NJ and WA do not allow coverage for self defense incidents. Residents from these states cannot purchase this plan. However, Law enforcement can be covered in NY; Existing members can be covered in WA, but no new members can be covered."

Last edited:

Mighty Joboo

Sep 15, 2020
    What is the deal with certain states banning firearm insurance??

"NOTE: The following states NY, NJ and WA do not allow coverage for self defense incidents. Residents from these states cannot purchase this plan. However, Law enforcement can be covered in NY; Existing members can be covered in WA, but no new members can be covered."

Not sure. Honestly, I've been wondering myself.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    What about the other possible 500k for the trial?

This. I could certainly afford $5k to perhaps get representation to show up at the county lockup and get things taken care of in the wake of a self defense shooting. But I don't have hundreds of thousands for the following criminal AND civil trials. That's kinda the whole point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom