• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Well, after coming to Maryland in 1987 and relocating from Damascus to Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland in 2005, it’s finally time to move on and relocate to the great state of Tennessee. This move has a lot of reasons, but it’s fair to say that what got me thinking about it five or six years ago is how much I dislike living in the People’s Democratic Republic and its passion for passing gun laws designed for Baltimore City, where they are routinely ignored. Thank you all for this forum. This and Maryland Shall Issue have been a breath of fresh air. Good luck to you all. I sincerely think you make a difference. Having heard the Democratic presidential candidates, I think all 2A adherents are an endangered species. But we still need to fight, even in the Maryland state legislature, where even the most basic firearms knowledge seems to be differential Calculus. And I respect you for fighting. Best, and if you get down to the Nashville area, it won’t take me long to scope out all the local ranges for you.

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    Tennessee

I am right behind you brother. Hopefully by the end of august I will be moved down there. Gun laws are a big part of it. Maryland is one election away from becoming worse than california. If not for our republican governor we would be there already. The next reason is taxes, the third is the incredible beautify of the state with all its mountains and incredible number of clean lakes. The final reason is motorcycle roads. Here I have to drive to west virginia to find a decent road. There they are everywhere. Good luck

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Best wishes with your moves. I'm looking to relocate, too. TN has many pluses including those mentioned by owgriffin. Is there a part with warmer winters and cooler summers than the DC area?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Nashville

Well, after coming to Maryland in 1987 and relocating from Damascus to Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland in 2005, it’s finally time to move on and relocate to the great state of Tennessee. This move has a lot of reasons, but it’s fair to say that what got me thinking about it five or six years ago is how much I dislike living in the People’s Democratic Republic and its passion for passing gun laws designed for Baltimore City, where they are routinely ignored. Thank you all for this forum. This and Maryland Shall Issue have been a breath of fresh air. Good luck to you all. I sincerely think you make a difference. Having heard the Democratic presidential candidates, I think all 2A adherents are an endangered species. But we still need to fight, even in the Maryland state legislature, where even the most basic firearms knowledge seems to be differential Calculus. And I respect you for fighting. Best, and if you get down to the Nashville area, it won’t take me long to scope out all the local ranges for you.

One of the best places no one used to know about. Older brother and fam have lived in Mt Juliet for over 20 years. I go down to fish Kentucky lake and other places. I love there

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    The good news, you, me, and others were able to leave one of the worst states ever. The bad news is that we felt we had to. Good luck to you. Enjoy.

You had to leave the state, you don't need to leave the forum. Stay in touch with the best forum in ALL the states. :)

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Congrats on getting out. I'm hopefully not far behind. Our realtor had an offer after our first house showing yesterday.

I'd love to go to Tennessee but due to several commitments we'll be in Florida.

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    Left the Peoples Republic 5 yrs ago after 30 + years. Not one regret. Please don’t assume the fight for your 2A rights is over, it goes on as long as there are libturds and Democraps are in the the State and Federal legislatures. At least though you won’t feel like your pissing up a rope at the State level.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Well, after coming to Maryland in 1987 and relocating from Damascus to Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland in 2005, it’s finally time to move on and relocate to the great state of Tennessee. This move has a lot of reasons, but it’s fair to say that what got me thinking about it five or six years ago is how much I dislike living in the People’s Democratic Republic and its passion for passing gun laws designed for Baltimore City, where they are routinely ignored. Thank you all for this forum. This and Maryland Shall Issue have been a breath of fresh air. Good luck to you all. I sincerely think you make a difference. Having heard the Democratic presidential candidates, I think all 2A adherents are an endangered species. But we still need to fight, even in the Maryland state legislature, where even the most basic firearms knowledge seems to be differential Calculus. And I respect you for fighting. Best, and if you get down to the Nashville area, it won’t take me long to scope out all the local ranges for you.

Congratulations! TN is definitely on my list as well as western NC, SC, and ID (if I could convince the boss.) Remember, just because you moved out of state doesn't mean you have to give up MDS.

SigP226

Jul 22, 2011
    Youngsville, NC
    Congratulations and I second (or third) the fact that you should stay with this forum. I moved to NC five years ago for the reasons mentioned in this thread and I check in every day.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Just looked at the numbers again tonight, and the house will be paid off a little earlier than I thought (essentially at 26 years). I could get it down another 6 months, but that hurts short term savings numbers.

Wifey is happily retired. My working after the house is paid for becomes purely optional (and as long as there is an opening where we end up, I can latch on anywhere with the same company).

"Retiring" at 58 is a little behind my goal, but I had no control in a lot of that, back in 2012. Stuff happens.

Our decision will be interesting... most likely semi-rural mid/eastern PA or Lower Slower DE, to stay accessible for the grandkids. It'll be a quiet, somewhat Spartan existence, but we're good with that.

Research continues.

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door
    Well, after coming to Maryland in 1987 and relocating from Damascus to Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland in 2005, it’s finally time to move on and relocate to the great state of Tennessee.

Ditto on being right behind you. I have a trip down to Nashville in the Fall to start looking for property (not sure if we want land or an already build house yet, maybe both). I'm hoping to be out of here in less than 5 years depending on finding work at the right salary. I was born and raised in MD and I'm finally done with it.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    ...depending on finding work at the right salary.

And there’s the rub, right? Not knowing the area at all, is there competitively compensated work in TN? The stereotypes would indicate no. But those are sometimes wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    And there’s the rub, right? Not knowing the area at all, is there competitively compensated work in TN? The stereotypes would indicate no. But those are sometimes wrong.

I guess it all depends on what you do but don’t forget that competitively pay doesn’t mean the same pay you are getting here. The cost of living is so low in the south and there are less taxes to be paid (rain tax, flush tax) and those you do pay are generally less. Plus in TN, (essentially) no state income tax. So even a decent drop in salary can overall be an improvement in your economic situation especially so if you’re over the hump in your mortgage here; might not have one there in that case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom