• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Extramile

Jan 1, 2020
    Western MD
    I have my appointment for interview tomorrow morning. Just wondering if anyone has insight as to what this process consists of, types of info they seek etc? Wanna be prepared. Thanks in advance.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I have my appointment for interview tomorrow morning. Just wondering if anyone has insight as to what this process consists of, types of info they seek etc? Wanna be prepared. Thanks in advance.

They won't be looking for any NEW info that you didn't already provide in your application, but they might ask you to clarify some business-related stuff, or get into a couple of look-you-in-the-eyes moments where they ask some lifestyle type questions. Basically a smell test to see if you play as crazy. My interview was pleasant, got into some business details (this was before SOP on that front changed somewhat), and then quickly derailed into hunting dogs and farming.

BTW, if you're married, the investigator will be looking for contact with your spouse (as well as your provided references). Since we were running other errands the day I went to the barracks for the chat, my wife came with me. The investigator was very glad to have the chance to talk with her while we were there (about three minutes) while I waited out of ear shot. Checked that box for him without having to play phone tag.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    They brought up an instance a couple years prior when I called MSP after a minor accident because the other driver got violent.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    My take on my interview was A, make sure the information you provided was true and accurate. And B, meet you fave to face to gauge your demeanor.

Be polite and truthful and you will be fine.

Nobody

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    My interview went as several other posters have noted. When I said my wife had died in 2005 she moved along very quickly. She did request that I provide a student roster in connection with my firearms training.

The interesting thing is she made my reference contacts earlier the same day as my interview. That was on Wednesday. I received an email from MSP regarding their findings first thing in the morning the following Tuesday. Given that they don't work on these over the weekend, their throughput was pretty quick.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Mine was done in a phone interview , at that time my wife had her interview at the same time . We work in a family business and about 5 minutes done .

Questions were :

Are you are drug user or a habitual drunkard
    Do you beat your wife
    What kind of gun are you carrying
    How long you been married

It was very easy .

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Mine was done in a phone interview , at that time my wife had her interview at the same time . We work in a family business and about 5 minutes done .

Questions were :

Are you are drug user or a habitual drunkard
    Do you beat your wife
    What kind of gun are you carrying
    How long you been married

It was very easy .

What kind of gun are you carrying?
    Seriously?
    If you don’t have a permit yet you’re not carrying anything (is it a trick questions?). If you do have a permit, what difference does it make if you have a super redhawk strapped to your leg or a mouse gun in your pocket?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I hear you, but they've been asking everyone that , starting during the Days of the 365 .

If nothing else needs follow up ,they will ask over everything from the application .

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    You will be observed through the mirrored windows of the lobby prior to the interview, with notes being taken on your appearance/clothing, mannerisms, nervousness, etc.

You'll be asked to sign an honor/truthfulness policy at the start of the interview

The questions I thought were a bit too invasive:
    What do you intend to carry.
    Crimes as a juvenile, even those not known to law enforcement.
    Driving record.
    Drinking habits, frequency of drinking event, quantity during event.
    All prescription drugs you're currently using.
    Mental health care received for PTSD, depression, alcoholism, drug abuse, or other mental disorders.

If you're on psychiatric medications (per a list they have) or have a history of "mental disorder" you'll need a signed memo from a doctor per a memo you'll be given by the investigator.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Seriously?
    If you don’t have a permit yet you’re not carrying anything (is it a trick questions?). If you do have a permit, what difference does it make if you have a super redhawk strapped to your leg or a mouse gun in your pocket?

"I qualified with my ____, and I'll carry that until I find something better."

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    My interview was face to face, my permit was ready in 3 days from turning in application. Of course mine was a threat on life.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Seriously?

I am serious , it was the first time for me carrying and I did not have holsters (decent ones) but I did have pocket carry holsters for a .38 S&W Snub . I told her a .38 and she said "NO" then I proceeded to explain my holster issue and told her I was ordering a M&P .40 and she said yes that's it .
    (Don't know why people make fun of the .40) lol

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Mine asked what kind of firearm I planned to carry. I said I had not made a decision on that, and asked what she would recommend. She said it was MSP policy not to respond to that question. ...And she moved on to other questions.

Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Relax, tell the truth, answer the question but no need to elaborate. They cant ask a question you don't already know the answer to. Mine was very professional, straight forward and no "gotcha" questions.

Aaronbloyer

Jun 13, 2019
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I’m anxious to get on with this. Just wanna be prepared.

Honestly I'm not sure what some of these people are saying... mine was literally 10 minutes. I was asked the same questions you answer on your application. She asked me if I drink, how often, where I would keep my gun if going out to drink simple easy questions. Then she asked me to tell her why in my own words why I should have a ccw. 3 weeks later my permit came in the mail. Don't worry. Don't stress.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I am serious , it was the first time for me carrying and I did not have holsters (decent ones) but I did have pocket carry holsters for a .38 S&W Snub . I told her a .38 and she said "NO" then I proceeded to explain my holster issue and told her I was ordering a M&P .40 and she said yes that's it .
    (Don't know why people make fun of the .40) lol

She told you you couldn’t pocket carry a .38 Revolver?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Relax, tell the truth, answer the question but no need to elaborate. They cant ask a question you don't already know the answer to. Mine was very professional, straight forward and no "gotcha" questions.

The "crimes as a juvenile, even those not known to law enforcement" seemed a gotcha to me.

As soon as I gave a response, "who where you with? where was it? what else did it involve? did you commit it any other occasions?" etc in a badgering manner, for something from decades ago.

Oh, and they asked the last time I was in a physical altercation or fight. Again, who, where, when, why, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom