• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    For the folks that have come on after 2013 take a look at their prices. There is a special place in hell for these parasites.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Cheaper than Dirt, and twice as nasty.

I didn't like them *before* the last price gouging, then they did that, now they do this....dunno what keeps them in business. Bubba, I reckon...

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I saw a screenshot on Facebook of a case of 5.56 going for over $900. Based on comments I saw on Twitter the same case was just over $500 a few days before, and it's the normal price before they started raising it was around $350-370 (I don't remember the exact number).

I have literally bought one item from them in the year and a half I've been a gun owner, a cheap $10 barrel nut wrench because one handguard wouldn't work with the Magpul armorers wrench, and have stayed away from them because of all the negative reviews I've heard about price gouging during 2013.

The only thing I use them for now is finding UPC numbers for guns when a manufacturer doesn't list it on their website and I don't feel like spending 10 minutes searching through multiple pages on my gun stores website for the exact model. Even then that's only if Google has them in the top few results.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Just call this the "Bitch About CTD" thread. It comes up with every ammo crisis especially by those who haven't been continually stocking up since the LAST ammo crisis.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Just call this the "Bitch About CTD" thread. It comes up with every ammo crisis especially by those who haven't been continually stocking up since the LAST ammo crisis.
    Although I am fully stocked since before the last ammo crisis, maybe before the one before that too, I still wouldn't miss a perfect opportunity to talk bad about CTD and their price gouging/superlative customer service.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Thought exercise...

You have people who just bought a gun and need to feed it. You have people who have some ammo, but go through it quickly and need more, for competitions, practice, or to take their kid to the range.

You have other people who have plenty, but are nervous and want more. You have yet others who buy it and sell it higher for a profit, in stores, online, whatever.

At 'normal' prices, the people in paragraph 2 are going to buy all they can. As the price rises, some of them will stop buying. When it gets high enough, only the most motivated are going to buy. People in survival mode, people not wanting to disappoint their kid, etc. In a normal market they would have gone without. In an inflationary market, they were at least able to find something left on the shelf.

Aside from that... a company has employees to pay, rent & other overhead... what they make selling current stock may be all the income they have for a few weeks.

A local shop just posted asking for people thinking of selling guns to bring them in now to sell on consignment. Remington 870's are going for $1100 or more. If I have a used 870 that I paid $200 for, is it ok if I charge someone $1100? How about $3100? Is it ok for the local shop to ask that much? He may be shutting down, these may be his last sales for a while. I may be out of work... that $3100 may be my last income for a month. Who gets to set my price? Me? You? Bernie Sanders?

Do you get to draw a line and say I like capitalism, but you don't need to make that much? There needs to be a limit? Isn't that Bernie's mantra?

How about someone who says 'I support the 2nd amendment, but you don't need bump stocks, and you don't need 30 round mags'.

Do you support incremental attacks on capitalism and the free market, but oppose incremental attacks on the 2nd amendment?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Separate issue...

As you could guess from my previous post, I don't have a problem with CTD, or local shops, or private individuals selling their own property at market prices.

Here's something else to consider though... in 2013 there were multiple reports of online shops, I think including CTD, cancelling orders that people had already completed for the reason that the product was out of stock. A short time later it would reappear on the web site as 'in stock', at a much higher price. Just MHO, but if you want to get angry at sellers taking advantage of the market, people engaging in that kind of behavior are the ones to be angry at.

Setting a price and selling at that price is not dishonest. Lying about product status in order to cancel a sale and sell it for a higher price, is dishonest.

Again just MHO, but I think outrage should be directed at those who are actually engaged in deception and dishonest business practices.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    Separate issue...

As you could guess from my previous post, I don't have a problem with CTD, or local shops, or private individuals selling their own property at market prices.

Here's something else to consider though... in 2013 there were multiple reports of online shops, I think including CTD, cancelling orders that people had already completed for the reason that the product was out of stock. A short time later it would reappear on the web site as 'in stock', at a much higher price. Just MHO, but if you want to get angry at sellers taking advantage of the market, people engaging in that kind of behavior are the ones to be angry at.

Setting a price and selling at that price is not dishonest. Lying about product status in order to cancel a sale and sell it for a higher price, is dishonest.

Again just MHO, but I think outrage should be directed at those who are actually engaged in deception and dishonest business practices.

Give them time.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Plenty of other honest retailers are increasing prices due to demand and price increases from suppliers. That I have no problem with.

What Cheaper than Dirt is pure gouging, plain and simple. There is no way a case of white box .223 is now worth $800 when Target Sports is selling it for $350.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Plenty of other honest retailers are increasing prices due to demand and price increases from suppliers. That I have no problem with.

What Cheaper than Dirt is pure gouging, plain and simple. There is no way a case of white box .223 is now worth $800 when Target Sports is selling it for $350.

These people are a disgrace to the gun community. What's sadder though is they're still in business 7 years after the last time they pulled their ********.

Must be plenty of people still buying from them. Me, I'd sooner donate to the Clinton Foundation than buy a thing from these ass wipes.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    To be clear, I won't pay CTD gouging prices--my choice. On the private-sale side, there is a balance between gouging and current-market prices. For instance, if I chose to list a case of Fed 556 right now and did so at pre-panic prices, there's a good chance I'd only be selling to someone who was going to take my sale and turn it around immediately for a $500 profit. Why shouldn't the people out there (private parties) who currently own the ammo get those current-market prices, vs. the ammo flippers waiting in the wings? At the same time, for anyone who fell into paying too much in 2013 but now has a large stockpile, this could be an opportunity to do two things: 1. Recoup some of your losses. 2. Infuse ammo back into the market for those who need it (maybe they are simply young 2A supporters who just bought their first AR15s, rather than being people who slept at the wheel for the last few years).

Last edited:
    Separate issue...

CTD did it to me personally in 2013. I ordered 1k of Wolf 7.62x39 for $199. The next day they cancelled my order due to being out of stock. A few hours later, the identical item was back in stock for $499.
    They will never get another penny from me.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    These people are a disgrace to the gun community. What's sadder though is they're still in business 7 years after the last time they pulled their ********.

Must be plenty of people still buying from them. Me, I'd sooner donate to the Clinton Foundation than buy a thing from these ass wipes.

:thumbsup:

Yep.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    CTD did it to me personally in 2013. I ordered 1k of Wolf 7.62x39 for $199. The next day they cancelled my order due to being out of stock. A few hours later, the identical item was back in stock for $499.

This is what did it for me. Charge whatever you want, but when you break sales agreements so you can charge more... CTD needs a wafflestomping down the shower drain.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    This is what did it for me. Charge whatever you want, but when you break sales agreements so you can charge more... CTD needs a wafflestomping down the shower drain.

Yes. You nailed it. I had a retailer, who is popular on MDS, pre-sell a Spikes lower to me just before the 2012/2013 panic, then once prices jumped nationwide tell me it was back ordered and would ship at that price once available. Shortly after, I checked on Gunbroker and found that retailer was selling packs of 5 lowers for several hundred per lower. They pretended to not be able to deliver on their back orders, but they were simply keeping everyone's back orders open with a plan of not releasing them to customers until prices had returned to normal. Pretty clever. I brought it up here but immediately deleted the comment after deciding it was a marketing strategy and that I have a choice to support or not support that retailer in the future (free market). However, the loved-by-all on MDS retailer resurrected the deleted message and re-posted it for an MDS user dog pile.

I canceled the back order, things eventually stabilized, and every penny I've spent since (many thousands) went to retailers I learned to respect during the 2013 panic. Again, free market and free choice at work.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thought exercise...

You have people who just bought a gun and need to feed it. You have people who have some ammo, but go through it quickly and need more, for competitions, practice, or to take their kid to the range.

You have other people who have plenty, but are nervous and want more. You have yet others who buy it and sell it higher for a profit, in stores, online, whatever.

At 'normal' prices, the people in paragraph 2 are going to buy all they can. As the price rises, some of them will stop buying. When it gets high enough, only the most motivated are going to buy. People in survival mode, people not wanting to disappoint their kid, etc. In a normal market they would have gone without. In an inflationary market, they were at least able to find something left on the shelf.

Aside from that... a company has employees to pay, rent & other overhead... what they make selling current stock may be all the income they have for a few weeks.

A local shop just posted asking for people thinking of selling guns to bring them in now to sell on consignment. Remington 870's are going for $1100 or more. If I have a used 870 that I paid $200 for, is it ok if I charge someone $1100? How about $3100? Is it ok for the local shop to ask that much? He may be shutting down, these may be his last sales for a while. I may be out of work... that $3100 may be my last income for a month. Who gets to set my price? Me? You? Bernie Sanders?

Do you get to draw a line and say I like capitalism, but you don't need to make that much? There needs to be a limit? Isn't that Bernie's mantra?

How about someone who says 'I support the 2nd amendment, but you don't need bump stocks, and you don't need 30 round mags'.

Do you support incremental attacks on capitalism and the free market, but oppose incremental attacks on the 2nd amendment?

In general, I don't support price gouging. Which is what is going on. Same reason our health care system doesn't work. Demand isn't really elastic. When it means you die, you pay anything you can afford, or even what you can't afford. Free market economies only work properly when supply and demand do.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yeah I won't touch them.

I'll be honest, I've been waiting for a number of companies to cancel my order and pull a CTD on me. So I ordered from a few places.

Getting my first 45 in another couple of days (in theory) and I needed food for it. Didn't go nuts, but I didn't want to find out I bought 300 rounds from one place and they cancel my order.

I was kind of shocked Cabela's shipped my order next day. Primary Arms shipped me the compliance mags next day also. Classic shipped me their small order of ammo either next day or two days later.

Still waiting on SGA for my order of SD 9mm food (because I didn't have much), but I know Sam is overwhelmed and I doubt he'd cancel on me. Target Sport sounds like its going to take them at least another week to ship the 45 I bought from them.

Oh and I bought something from Sportsman's guide and they shipped part of my order today. Only a 2 day wait.

A bass pro order they said they had in stock for powder and primers I put in yesterday, they emailed last night to say part will arrive between 24th and 30th and the rest is 3/30-4/9. So they are slow as heck now.

Still possible Target, BPS or SGA might screw me over, but I kind of doubt it.

Apparently there is really only one and only Cheaper Than Dicks. I mean Dirt.

I HAVE noticed some places ammo prices suddenly skyrocketed, especially LGS. I don't blame a markup. I absolutely do have an issue with suddenly something has double or tripled in price. The stores fundamentals haven't changed in terms of what that cost them. Now if they have to restock and their distributor is charging them a lot more and they have to pass it on, that's one thing.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes. You nailed it. I had a retailer, who is popular on MDS, pre-sell a Spikes lower to me just before the 2012/2013 panic, then once prices jumped nationwide tell me it was back ordered and would ship at that price once available. Shortly after, I checked on Gunbroker and found that retailer was selling packs of 5 lowers for several hundred per lower. They pretended to not be able to deliver on their back orders, but they were simply keeping everyone's back orders open with a plan of not releasing them to customers until prices had returned to normal. Pretty clever. I brought it up here but immediately deleted the comment after deciding it was a marketing strategy and that I have a choice to support or not support that retailer in the future (free market). However, the loved-by-all on MDS retailer resurrected the deleted message and re-posted it for an MDS user dog pile.

I canceled the back order, things eventually stabilized, and every penny I've spent since (many thousands) went to retailers I learned to respect during the 2013 panic. Again, free market and free choice at work.

During the panic buying of 2013, I gave away a Spike's lower as a Karma. Hmmmm. Might be time for a Coronavirus karma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom