• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    First time really loading for my AR-15. Do you guys put any crimp on the cases? I generally do not for my bolt guns but do put a tiny bit on for my pistols.

Will be doing 6.5CM for my AR10 next.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I dont for any of my ar15s or 10s. Plenty of people do. Some will even tell you it will cause problems if you don't. I experimented when I began reloading and couldn't get as consistent results with crimping and my groups weren't as good with a crimp so I quickly gave up on it. Several thousand rounds now and it's never caused me a problem.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    If you're running .001 neck tension you might have problems, running .004 should be fine

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I never crimp .223/5.56 even if the bullet has a cannelure. I trim cases and load to the cannelure. No crimp.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I don't crimp any of my loads and if I do, it's just to lightly crimp out the case flare for cast bullets or flush it along the crimp groove for revolvers. For 223/556, i just get them to the cannelure and that holds it plenty along with the neck tension.

Mdphotographer

Feb 10, 2009
    Frederick MD
    I use a Lyman M die so I can use a bullet feeder on my Hornady LnL progressive so I crimp .556 to remove the flare. I always crimp straight wall cases,pistol and .30 carbine. Don't crimp my 7mm STW.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    So, when working up loads, how do I know if I need crimp, other than measuring rounds in the mag after previous one's have been fired?

I assume I load cartridges with same variables except for crimp and measure precision and velocity.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    My understanding is that crimp has more to do with the need for reliability of feeding and durability of the round in auto-loading firearms more than anything else. Yes, the amount of crimp will create variations in things like velocity and pressure, but not enough to be appreciably noticeable unless you're doing some serious precision shooting.

Mostly (again, this is my understanding) the idea is to help prevent bullet setback during the automatic loading process which often puts rearward stress on the projectile and can force it farther into the neck of the case. I've seen non-crimped ammo do this in my FAL and PSL-54C. I've yet to see it happen in my AR, but then again, I always crimp my AR loads and they're crimped from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom