• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downrange48

Nov 26, 2014
    Baltimore County Md
    Hi guys getting started in reloading . How long does everyone think the primer disfunction is going to last. Seen some ridiculous prices being asked.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Hi guys getting started in reloading . How long does everyone think the primer disfunction is going to last. Seen some ridiculous prices being asked.

If you want an honest answer. I'm guessing at least 2 years. If asshat does get into the White House 6 years or 2 years after the hoe is out because we all know Biden ain't making it 4 years!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'm feeling your pain. brand spankin' new to reloading and no primers anywhere, other than getting bent over on gunbroker.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    209 > LPP > LRP . Don't bother to comparison shop or get picky about brand . If it's actually available , and the price doesn't make you gag , buy it .

My best connected sources say Small P or R will be at least 6 months to reappear in the pipeline . If you're REALLY motivated , some already on reloading benches are trickling back out at scalper prices .

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Was at Green Top Hunt/Fish, yesterday.

LR and LRM available. Three (3) 'sleeves' of 100 primers, per day, per person.
    209 primers available. No limit(s).

Was at Bass Pro a couple of weeks ago.
    Primers (that they have), are behind the counter,

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    You won't find any online but they are out there. Plan a rd trip and hit as many shops as you can in a day. Several places like hafers in hagerstown are limiting the amount you can buy per day.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Yep. But everybody has their own pain tolerance, and their own definition of "ridiculous."

We figure 4 components to every round. With some cartridges, maybe .223 as an example, brass can be free. Still have to source the other 3 components, but both bullets and powder have been at least somewhat available, and with at least somewhat reasonable prices.

Just for spit balling on a bar napkin, let's say that the bullets you can find wind up costing you 20 cents each. And let's say your powder cost you 36.00 a pound, or say 13 cents per charge. That adds up to .33 per round, and that still leaves the cost of the primers.

Now if a round of plinking grade brass factory ammo is today selling for 60 cents per round? And if you want the better ammo that you can indeed produce yourself?

Now I'm not adding my time here. Cost per round isn't really why I load. YMMV

But think about it. Given your factory plinking grade ammo 60 cent target price?

NOW what is that primer worth?

I can't answer that question for you. But arguably, that answer, at least from a strict cost per round and ammo quality perspective? Assuming I want better quality ammo, and I want it for less expense, then the answer to primer cost becomes some number that is less than .27 cents.

Imagine a 27 cent primer? Well......

Let's say somebody will sell you primers at 10 cents. Now with your other components, you're at .43 per round.

43 cents per round still isn't 60 cents per round. And you might well find some additional wiggle room with the numbers I purposely used above, depending upon what you actually find yourself paying for your bullets and powder. There is currently better pricing to be had than what I used, if you're willing to look around.

Sure prices are high. Primers with offers to sell may be especially high, and that's IF you can find them.

Some guys will still want to shoot. Others will be content to watch and wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom