• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Who sells 16 ga. target load ammo? I tried Cabela's and Atlantic Guns internet searches and was unsuccessful.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    You’re looking at Remington Game Loads, 1200fps and usually 7 1/2, or Herter’s but there not a true target sold these days. Rio’s are 1300fps and not a fave for an older shotgun. Now a new A5....

Last edited:

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    You’re looking at Remington Game Loads, 1200fps and usually 7 1/2, or Herter’s but there not a true target sold these days. Rio’s are 1300fps and not a fave for an older shotgun. Now a new A5....
    Just looking for any ammo for shooting trap with my old Winchester 1897.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Make sure you get 7.5, 8, or 9’s. Trap is usually shot with 8’s or 7.5’s. If you shoot any Skeet or Sporting buy 8’s. If just Trap either will do. And no faster than 1200fps. And a max of 1 1/8 oz of shot. I would use the 1 oz loads though. A lot of target ranges limit shells to those specifications. They’re going to be marketed as game loads because the clay target games aren’t usually shot with the 16 gauge. The link below will help you get started. If you can find a free shipping deal that will help immensely. If you get up to PA at all I can recommend Shyda’s or CAC Associates for shotgun supplies but they’re both a haul from Gaithersburg.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/16-gauge?ss=7.5

Can I ask where you shoot trap at? PG, Tuscarora, Mt. Airy, Thurmont? Just curious.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I have some old 16 gauge hunting ammo that I’d be more than happy to give you.

Someone gave it to me recently when they were cleaning out a deceased relatives house. Its not pretty ammo, but I wouldnt hesitate to shoot it if i owned a 16ga

If you want pics of it PM me your cell number or email address

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Most of what I’ve seen has been Federal; do you have an Academy near you? And, I don’t know about now but, not too long ago, WalMarts were more than happy to put requests for items they didn’t have on the shelf as a “request” to be delivered in next arrival of the semi-tractor trailer.

I think the suggestion for ammoseek.com - or SGammo.com - are gonna be your very best bets, though.

Here’s a gem of a website for 16ga aficionados! http://www.16ga.com/forum/

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Make sure you get 7.5, 8, or 9’s. Trap is usually shot with 8’s or 7.5’s. If you shoot any Skeet or Sporting buy 8’s. If just Trap either will do. And no faster than 1200fps. And a max of 1 1/8 oz of shot. I would use the 1 oz loads though. A lot of target ranges limit shells to those specifications. They’re going to be marketed as game loads because the clay target games aren’t usually shot with the 16 gauge. The link below will help you get started. If you can find a free shipping deal that will help immensely. If you get up to PA at all I can recommend Shyda’s or CAC Associates for shotgun supplies but they’re both a haul from Gaithersburg.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/16-gauge?ss=7.5

Can I ask where you shoot trap at? PG, Tuscarora, Mt. Airy, Thurmont? Just curious.
    A group of us goes to PG County Trap and Skeet range each Saturday. I have a 12 ga. over and under that I normally use but wanted to try the 16ga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom