• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MemoryOne85

Oct 14, 2013
    Rockville,MD
    Hi Everyone.
    Went to PG Skeet a few times and I loved it. Thought I'd perhaps get myself an O/U to bring to that location. Also can be my first hunting shotgun, whenever it is I get around to getting my hunting License.

I'm just starting out and not a whole lot of funds to drop on a Berreta or Browning. Does anyone have any long term experience with Tristar or Hatfield O/U shotguns?

Otherwise I would skip O/U altogether and get a Mossberg 500.

Thanks!

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Not personally, but you don’t want to waste your money. I would recommend looking for a used Remington 1100/11-87 or a used Beretta auto.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I was in the same boat recently. I was considering a Maverick O/U which was going to be around $400. I then realized I could spend $100 on a brand new barrel and turn my 18.5" Maverick 88 into a skeet/clay with a 28" barrel.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Look for a used Beretta or Browning. Whichever you prefer. They last forever and you can usually fond a pretty good deal...

Yep. Many budget guns are OK as field guns. They can’t take the many thousands of rounds a good trap or skeet gun can.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    So the other day I was browsing a gun rack that was lined up with shotguns. I seen some blue Stoeger stickers on a few O/U Barrels and decided to check one out. I picked up a trim 20 gauge studying the receiver and then broke it open to have a look inside.
    I thought wow what a nice little gun, these things are decent. Turned it over to check out how the trigger slot was made wood to metal fit and then had a look at the hang tag which read Franchi and the price which made sense.
    I then picked up a Stoeger which is what I was wanting to see anyhow moved the lever, tilted it open and watched the swing of the metal between the two parts where it breaks and didn't even take a second look. Price didn't make sense.
    I thought back to when I started to buying guns and remembered at least to myself, you get what you pay for more times than not. And then just grinned as to how that little 20ga found itself mixed in with the others on either side of it.

euchre98

Feb 13, 2009
    Leonardtown
    I am a range officer at a skeet range. Do yourself a huge favor and save your cash until you can afford a "B" gun.

If you have to have one now....buy a CZ, otherwise the rest are worthless.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Hi Everyone.
    Went to PG Skeet a few times and I loved it. Thought I'd perhaps get myself an O/U to bring to that location. Also can be my first hunting shotgun, whenever it is I get around to getting my hunting License.

I'm just starting out and not a whole lot of funds to drop on a Berreta or Browning. Does anyone have any long term experience with Tristar or Hatfield O/U shotguns?

Otherwise I would skip O/U altogether and get a Mossberg 500.

Thanks!

Budget O/U.....at least you didn't say "cheap" :lol2:

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I’ve been shooting Skeet for 37 years. I can’t tell you how many people buy a “budget” O/U and regret it later. Even Ruger told a customer that their Red Label wasn’t made for clay target shooting. If you can’t afford a lightly used Beretta or Browning than stick with an auto until you can. I shoot a Beretta and recommend them over the Brownings just because there are all kinds of extra barrels and stocks out there. Not so much with the Brownings. Also, a Beretta can be rebuilt/tightened up more than a Browning. But you would have to have a lot of money/time to shoot either one out.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I recently bought a Tristar Setter in .410 and was pleasantly surprised by it's fit, finish and feel. I've always thought/heard that CZ was pretty much the cheapest O/U worth buying but this Tristar is pretty nice for a $500 O/U. Alternately, Mossberg tend to provide durable, low cost guns as well. But none of these is a great choice for high volume target shooting. They're liable to break eventually and then you have to hope parts are available.

The purchase of a Beretta semi is money better spent. I'm a particular fan of the 391 and 400 models in 20 gauge, but they're all good. At a lower price point Tristar, Mossberg and Weatherby semi's are a great value.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You can find decent Belgian made Brownings for $1000. Classy, solid gun that will take a beating and last decades. I have a few, the newest gun was built in ‘68. All have been used for clays, all shot high volume. All still tight.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    Tristar Setter 12 gauge. Bought one last year for around $400. It's a great starter gun. Breaks clays as well as the shooter shoots. Several thousand shells and not one ftf. It will make a great loaner gun whenever I decide to upgrade.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    This has been a topic several times. The best advice has always been look for a used B gun. I will add, don't waste money on a cheap O/U. The sub $600 gun is a waste. You'd better spend that on a semiautomatic. Or, if you have to have a O/U ,save up @$1200 and look for Browing CX line. The Citori and Cynergy are a good value.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Just echoing the advice here.
    Don't buy a "budget" O/U, unless your budget is $1000 or up.
    As a RSO at local Trap and Skeet club I have seen a goodly number of "budget" O/U failures. (firing pins, failure to lockup, ribs coming loose) as well as the fact that they tend to kick like a pissed off mule.

ps: Although many years ago and I think they have improved, I stupidly bought a Mossberg Silver Reserve and it spent more time in the mail than at the range. A lot of angst would have been avoided if I had just thrown that $500 in the trashcan.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I'll add my two cents......used B gun. But, shoot them both before you buy. There are pretty good fit differences between Beretta and Browning. You'll love one and probably hate the other. Nothing against either gun, it's just one will fit better than the other. I'm a Browning guy, got four of them in my safe, a Special Sporting Clays O/U, a 12 and 20 gauge Gold Fusion semis, and Gold 3 1/2" Hunter semi. I can't shoot a Beretta to save my butt, and I worked at a Range that had Beretta rentals, so I've been there done that. Yes, you can have stock work done to make a gun fit......but with budget issues, buy the one that fits decent to begin with!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom