Is there a calculator for earth rotation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Is there a calculator online that will tell me how much the target "moves" with the Earth's rotation at given distances and time? I'm trying to figure out how much a 6.5CM is affected by planet rotation at 1,000 yards. I know it isn't much, but I was looking for precise numbers.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So according to the calculator and plugging in some basic numbers, the Coriolis effect is .2706 ft/s(2), and with a basic velocity of 2004 mph. The bullet is traveling roughly 2,940 fps, so at a thousand yards it's going to travel for just a smidge over 1 second. (1.02 seconds, actually)

So given that information, the Coriolis effect is going to move the bullet a grand total of about 3 inches to the right (3.24, actually) provided you are facing North or South.

Those were the calculations I came up with, but it appears to be supported by this article:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/c...rs-extreme-long-range-shooting-for-beginners/

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    So according to the calculator and plugging in some basic numbers, the Coriolis effect is .2706 ft/s(2), and with a basic velocity of 2004 mph. The bullet is traveling roughly 2,940 fps, so at a thousand yards it's going to travel for just a smidge over 1 second. (1.02 seconds, actually)

So given that information, the Coriolis effect is going to move the bullet a grand total of about 3 inches to the right (3.24, actually) provided you are facing North or South.

Those were the calculations I came up with, but it appears to be supported by this article:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/c...rs-extreme-long-range-shooting-for-beginners/

I thought that figure varied depending on your latitude?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I thought that figure varied depending on your latitude?

it does. the figure he came up with is correct at the equator. the effect lessens as one moves away from the equator.

and

only when shooting due south.

when shooting due north the bullet would move to the left.

when shooting due east the bullet would move up

when shooting due west the bullet would move down.

I think

Last edited:

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I actually work for an online equation/calculator website. We are always looking for new stuff to add. I'll see if we can work up something for this.

Sep 27, 2019
    Trappe, MD
    This is my first post on the forum. Hope it isn’t regarded as overstepping. It’s just that I have some training and experience in dealing with Coriolis acceleration and thought this might help.

The Coriolis effect is dependent upon the latitude of your location, and the speed of the rotation of the earth at that latitude. In the northern hemisphere, an object moving in a straight line appears to deflect to the right. It does not matter if you are shooting north or south, in the northern hemisphere the shot will appear to move to the right (target moves to the left).

Here is a nice explanation I found on the National Geographic site.

“Let’s pretend you’re standing at the Equator and you want to throw a ball to your friend in the middle of North America. If you throw the ball in a straight line, it will appear to land to the right of your friend because he’s moving slower and has not caught up.

Now let’s pretend you’re standing at the North Pole. When you throw the ball to your friend, it will again to appear to land to the right of him. But this time, it’s because he’s moving faster than you are and has moved ahead of the ball.

Everywhere you play global-scale "catch" in the Northern Hemisphere, the ball will deflect to the right.”

Coriolis imposes the least influence at the low latitudes and the most influence at the higher latitudes - at low latitudes the relative surface speed of the earth rotation changes much less with latitudinal changes then is the case at high latitudes.

I just used an online general purpose Coriolis calculator (not a firearms-specific calculator) (https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/coriolis-effect) and plugged in the numbers for a 13 g (200 gr) object traveling at 2,500 FPS at 39 degrees of latitude (about the Bay Bridge location) and it gave a Coriolis acceleration of .229 ft/ sec-sq, which if I’m recalling and using correctly what my high school physics nun tried to teach me (displacement = one half the acceleration multiplied by the square of the travel time) should result in about a 1.37 inch deflection (to the right) in the first second of travel if the shot is due north or south. I believe that displacement estimate should be reduced as the bearing of the shot moves away from north (or south), to near zero for due east or due west.

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    This is my first post on the forum. Hope it isn’t regarded as overstepping. It’s just that I have some training and experience in dealing with Coriolis acceleration and thought this might help.

Very informative and detailed post. You should go over to the new members page and say hello.

Yeah, I'm actually looking to settle an argument, so I need specifics.

Dave if you happen to be in an argument with IslandLeverGun you should just pay him the $2 now and move on. You odds of winning are less than 3%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom