• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    My Instinct L has been back to the factory twice for misfires. Each time I receive it back it works for one or two rounds of trap and then misfires.

My issue when it fails: when selecting the top barrel (yes, I know the world advises using the bottom barrel for trap, but I don't), I pull the trigger followed by a loud click. Look at the primer and zero indents.

So today, headed out to the woods and inserted a shell in both barrels. Thinking maybe the selector is selecting the wrong barrel. Started off with 40 shells, resulting in one failure without a bang. Decided to pull the trigger until it fired: click, click, bang. Opened the action and the top barrel as selected fired. The lower barrel round had zero indents on the primer.

I don't have any confidence in the factory gunsmiths. Barts is closed and I don't know of any shotgun gunsmiths in the area.

Any words of wisdom?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Don’t want to get your hopes up but, I am shooting a question over to a member of one of the groups I shoot sporting with, here in WNC. One them occasionally has his son-in-law join us and that s-i-l shoots “a” Franchi o/u (I just have NO idea whether it is an “Instinct” or not).

Anyhoo, last time we shot together he mentioned having to go inside the gun and modifying a metal part to solve a malfunction (but, I don’t recall what that was)

Will Post again if I get any answer ... (fingers crossed!)

You may also want to register and post a query in the “Restorations and Gunsmithing” forums at ShotgunWorld.com (lotta experienced insights there)

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Don’t want to get your hopes up but, I am shooting a question over to a member of one of the groups I shoot sporting with, here in WNC. One them occasionally has his son-in-law join us and that s-i-l shoots “a” Franchi o/u (I just have NO idea whether it is an “Instinct” or not).

Anyhoo, last time we shot together he mentioned having to go inside the gun and modifying a metal part to solve a malfunction (but, I don’t recall what that was)

Will Post again if I get any answer ... (fingers crossed!)

Thank you, will be interesting on how he solved his issue.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Hey, platoonDaddy, I did hear back from my buddy’s s-i-l and here was his reply (I copied and pasted your OP in an email to my friend, his f-i-l):

No mine was far more simple. The safety rod was previously always on the verge of allowing the safety to move to the "safe" side of the retainer spring. All I did was shorten the actuation rod so the safety would trip to a positive detent, either full safe or full ready to fire.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Hey, platoonDaddy, I did hear back from my buddy’s s-i-l and here was his reply (I copied and pasted your OP in an email to my friend, his f-i-l):

No mine was far more simple. The safety rod was previously always on the verge of allowing the safety to move to the "safe" side of the retainer spring. All I did was shorten the actuation rod so the safety would trip to a positive detent, either full safe or full ready to fire.

Dang, are you sure he isn't a shotgun gunsmith. Great job of determining the issue and then a fix. Triple dang.

Thank you for reaching out.....

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    LOL, those were my EXACT thoughts as his whole revelation passed in under like 60 seconds, as I was stepping into Station 1 on a local sporting course. Having shot with him only about a half dozen times over course of a few years, I barely know this young (late 30’s/early 40’s) guy (know his f-i-l extremely well) but, my regard of/for him went up many notches at that point (he is NOT a “firearms” guy; sposedly works for a local construction supply house ...) :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed your anomaly is soon past and has a similarly “happy” ending!

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Barts store front is closed but Jack and his brother still do some work, or at least have for me in the recent years. If you email him at shotgunlessons@gmail.com I’d imagine if he can’t help personally, he may have a smith recommendation for you.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Benelli is a close shop, therefore they wouldn’t let me hand carry. Tech support put me in touch with the plant manager, explained the issue. He seemed reasonable, transferred me back to tech support & had them issue a RA, plus shipping label.

The firearm is on its way to the factory.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    UPS just delivered my shotgun, following cut & pasted from Benelli Packing Slip

Found hammer cam spring broken and jamming hammers; found hammer spacer out of
    position; and uneven wear on shift lever and sears.

Replaced cam spring and deepened retaining notch in receiver. Installed hammer spacer, Reshaped and corrected wear/damage, from use, on shift lever.

Function check and test fired by two gunsmiths (ZAT, MTM), no malfunctions.

Clean and oi1.

Test ammo: 24 Win, Eed 2 3/4" ZAT Ll-12-19

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom