• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    I'd like to recreationally shoot .223/.556 but the prices are insane. Best I can find is 19c a round after shipping with wolf steel cased 223.

Where do you get your ammo? Is there anywhere local selling it cheap?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    use ammoseek.com to check around for prices. but def load up your cart/basket and see what freight is as some of the retailers show low prices but rape you with freight.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    use ammoseek.com to check around for prices. but def load up your cart/basket and see what freight is as some of the retailers show low prices but rape you with freight.

That's precisely the site I'm using but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. Like is there a local place that sells cheaper?

I'm looking into conversion kits as well, seems like any solution requires sacrificing money, accuracy, or both.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    You're not going to do much better with pricing. And as centerfire rounds go, you're looking at one of the least expensive.

One way around the cost issue is mixing in a good amount of shooting with .22 rimfire. But even with that, shooting can quickly become an expensive hobby.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I just took a look around and the cheapest I could find was 18.5 cents per round from Lucky Gunner, but that was before shipping. Might have to wait for a big sale and stock up then.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Your best bet for "local" would be Ammo Jon, a IP here on the forum. He posts his pricing, and I would assume, that if the quantities were high enough he could probably get you somewhat better pricing.

It's NOT going to be 19 cents per round. He doesn't do Wolf or Tulammo or anything really steel cased. .

If you want steel cased stuff cheap, you have two options:

-Buy it online. (SGAMMO is awesome!)
    -Take your chances at Walmart

My suggestion is to buy a larger quantity from an online vendor, and use it as you need it.

Edit: My suggestion is you buy from Ammo Jon. But if you are set on cheaper ammo buy it online. Sorry Jon! Not what a meant!

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Your best bet for "local" would be Ammo Jon, a IP here on the forum. He posts his pricing, and I would assume, that if the quantities were high enough he could probably get you somewhat better pricing.

It's NOT going to be 19 cents per round. He doesn't do Wolf or Tulammo or anything really steel cased. .

If you want steel cased stuff cheap, you have two options:

-Buy it online. (SGAMMO is awesome!)
    -Take your chances at Walmart

My suggestion is to buy a larger quantity from an online vendor, and use it as you need it.

Remember, Walmart won't be an option for .223 after current inventories have sold out.

Better now (with any ammo IMO, and wherever else one can) to deal with those who haven't sold us out.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Try Ammoman.com

The price you see is the price you pay. It may seem higher than Lucky Gunner and other places but Ammoman has the shipping already figured in.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Ammo Jon- from his post on IP. No extra shipping or taxes added as far as I know

Federal 223 55g FMJ (AE223)
    $280/1000 rounds

Federal 5.56 55g FMJ (XM193)
    $300/1000 rounds

PMC 5.56 62g FMJ (556K)
    $320/1000 rounds

I'd like to recreationally shoot .223/.556 but the prices are insane. Best I can find is 19c a round after shipping with wolf steel cased 223.

Where do you get your ammo? Is there anywhere local selling it cheap?

$3.80 a box isn't a bad price...with everything that's going on in the country right now the demand is pretty high and only going to get worse..

The days of pennies per round are dead. Raw materials such as copper and zinc that are used to make cartridge brass and lead 4 bullets have gone way up in price with the technology boom because those components are also used to manufacture all of the techno toys that everyone carries around now. Add to that and almost insatiable appetite for ammo by shooters and Hoarders make ammo prices go up up up. 19 cents around actually isn't bad by today's standard

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I got mine from a guy named John or something. He had them hidden under his trenchcoat. Good deal though.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Best I can find in a store for brass case 55gr 5.56 is American Eagle at Bass Pro in Arundel Mills. $55 for 150 rds. Def not 19 cents per round though. I don't run steel cased if I can avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom