• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Won a bid on a M1 Garand.

Before I started my bid, I specifically asked the seller whether there is any pitting on metal parts. The response was ,"No pitting on metal, rifle is in very good condition as is bluing and the bore and all other mechanical parts."

After I received the rifle, I found some obvious pitting on the receiver in the area of the serial number. I contacted the seller and he admitted that it was his fault to overlook the pitting. He asked me to ship the rifle back to him and he will fully refund me and cover my shipping cost of sending it back to him. I have all the email communications as proof.

Anyone has similar experience? What if the seller does not refund me after I ship the rifle back to him? Anything I can do? I have the copies of his driver's license and C&R license.

I even opened a case a week ago with Gunbroker.com regarding this issue but received no response from Gunbroker.com

Many thanks for any comments

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I had only one issue with a pistol and was slightly damaged in shipping and we came to an agreement where he chopped off some $ on the sale.
    BTW, I thought M1 Garand was Parkerized, not blued

I'm curious, What grade was it? Did he have CMP documention on it or anything like that?

How many sales has he had?

The feedback system is the only real way to protect yourself if you don't use a credit card.

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    It was not a CMP M1 Garand. I bought it mainly because of its wartime stock and markings on the stock. Other metal parts look OK to me.

Rifle has a 6-digit SN, a 1964 SA barrel, a Winchester trigger group, and SA GAW Cartouche on the stock.

I am attaching the picture of the area shows the pitting on the receiver. I noticed that right now on CMP website, all field grade rifles will have pitting. The service grade may have pitting.

How much money you would suggest I ask from the seller if I keep this rifle? I paid him $885 including shipping. Seller has 81 A+ ratings.

I had only one issue with a pistol and was slightly damaged in shipping and we came to an agreement where he chopped off some $ on the sale.
    BTW, I thought M1 Garand was Parkerized, not blued

I'm curious, What grade was it? Did he have CMP documention on it or anything like that?

How many sales has he had?

The feedback system is the only real way to protect yourself if you don't use a credit card.

Attachments

• blocked SN.jpg
      blocked SN.jpg
      32.3 KB · Views: 570

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I know nothing about Garands, for openers.

Sounds like the seller is willing to make things right, a good sign.

Regarding pricing, I'd consider the average cost of a shooter-grade rifle in similar condition as a base price. Then add whatever percentage you personally feel the historical markings etc contribute to the piece. If the corrosion really hurts your heart, just return for refund. If you can live with it, or of the historical add-ons are particularly hard to come by, make an offer and see what the seller says.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Was this a WW2 era rifle, or post war? I think Springfield made post war rifles too. $885 doesn't sound bad at all...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Always look at the pics. Ask for more pics if there are not a sufficient number to accurately evaluate the potential purchase. If the seller refuses, walk away! Look at seller feedback to get an idea of how reputable the seller is.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    How much money you would suggest I ask from the seller if I keep this rifle? I paid him $885 including shipping. Seller has 81 A+ ratings.

If the seller wants to make it right and has offered you a full refund, take it and run. He has offered you an easy out.

Receiving something and then asking for a discount tends to pi$$ people off and make them uncooperative.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I think the fear is the seller is offering to have him ship the gun back and then refund the money....

Fear would be shipping the rifle and never receive the refund.

Really there is not any way of protecting from that risk.

Gunbroker does have a buyers protection program, that covers you up to $400 ($500 with a $100 deductible) if you never received the item. It says though does not protect against dispute of condition or buyers remorse.

https://www.gunbroker.com/c/user/fraudclaimprocess/

Jul 1, 2012
    If that's all that is wrong with the rifle, I'd keep it and not worry about it. :)
    It's not a matching collectors item, so a few pits aren't going to hurt the value or operation and should be expected.

As others have mentioned, trying to work out a discount after getting it is usually not well received.
    I wouldn't even mention it to the seller.

Additionally, opening up a GB trouble report before exhausting options to resolve it with the seller - especially since the seller is willing to provide a full refund including shipping - may not make him happy (and rightfully so). On the other hand those reports tend to go nowhere unless there's real blatant fraud involved which certainly isn't the case here.

If you do decide to send it back, it's very rare for someone to rip you off and not send the money. Make sure you have insurance in case the rifle is damaged on the way back though. Personally I'd use UPS vice USPS, and insure it for over $1k so it gets sent using their "high value" shipping stream (hand-carried vice thrown on the conveyor belts, stored in locked container overnight, signatures at each transfer point).

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Lessons learned after this. I ask the question but did not ask for the picture as I trusted the seller with 80 plus A+ rating but I was proven wrong. Next time, definitely ask for pictures.

Always look at the pics. Ask for more pics if there are not a sufficient number to accurately evaluate the potential purchase. If the seller refuses, walk away! Look at seller feedback to get an idea of how reputable the seller is.

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    S/N on the receiver dates back to 1942. But the receiver is with pitting which was not disclosed by the seller until I received the rifle.

Was this a WW2 era rifle, or post war? I think Springfield made post war rifles too. $885 doesn't sound bad at all...

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    It is not that I "Receiving something and then asking for a discount"

The seller did not disclosed the information that there are pitting on the receiver even I asked.

Asking for a discount is because:
    1. shipping it back is time and effort consuming
    2. there is a risk that I will not get any money back from the seller. Then what? Sue him? Really no time to do so

If the seller wants to make it right and has offered you a full refund, take it and run. He has offered you an easy out.

Receiving something and then asking for a discount tends to pi$$ people off and make them uncooperative.

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Exactly. Fear is not getting the refund after ship the rifle back to the seller.

I have the seller's message admitting overlook the pitting was his fault. However, as you said, max I can get back from gunbroker.com is $400 and who know how long it is going to take

I think the fear is the seller is offering to have him ship the gun back and then refund the money....

Fear would be shipping the rifle and never receive the refund.

Really there is not any way of protecting from that risk.

Gunbroker does have a buyers protection program, that covers you up to $400 ($500 with a $100 deductible) if you never received the item. It says though does not protect against dispute of condition or buyers remorse.

https://www.gunbroker.com/c/user/fraudclaimprocess/

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Thanks for your comments!

I know nothing about Garands, for openers.

Sounds like the seller is willing to make things right, a good sign.

Regarding pricing, I'd consider the average cost of a shooter-grade rifle in similar condition as a base price. Then add whatever percentage you personally feel the historical markings etc contribute to the piece. If the corrosion really hurts your heart, just return for refund. If you can live with it, or of the historical add-ons are particularly hard to come by, make an offer and see what the seller says.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    S/N on the receiver dates back to 1942. But the receiver is with pitting which was not disclosed by the seller until I received the rifle.
    Honestly, I'd be ecstatic to have a WW2 M1 for that price. They are selling for a couple hundred more at CMP. I'd see if seller can refund a couple bucks (rather than pay for shipping) and be VERY happy with that great rifle!!!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Honestly, I'd be ecstatic to have a WW2 M1 for that price. They are selling for a couple hundred more at CMP. I'd see if seller can refund a couple bucks (rather than pay for shipping) and be VERY happy with that great rifle!!!

I agree. Try to find a Garand, even with that pitting, at a gun show for that price; you can't. Garands have become stupid expansive. So have M1 Carbines for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom