• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I think the TA-11 (3.5X) ACOG is perfect for the FAL. First, it has good eye relief, which is important for a 7.62x51 rifle. Second, it keeps the FAL light and handy. Third, as you said, it is not a precision rifle, but the ACOG will definitely provide enough precision while still being bomb proof. I went with the "donut" reticle variant and like it a lot.

Here is mine on a DSA FAL para carbine I sold a while ago - I still use the ACOG on my SCAR17S though:

uc

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Nice! Mine is pretty dead on as well. The rifle is definitely more accurate than I am. I built mine from a Rosario Mk. IV kit from SARCO on a century receiver that somehow managed to not have any issues despite being a mono-brow feed ramp. It dislikes DSA mags, but I have enough Izzy and Rhodie mags that it's not an issue for me. The Moses mags work well in it too, but I'm not sure if they're still in business. But I digress. I built mine with the history and battlefield-range uses in mind, though I'm certain it'd perform just fine beyond 2-300 yards. Keep us posted on what you decide to go with and how it performs, you just might convince me to throw some glass on top of mine if it turns out well for you!

Mine is an STG58 kit gun on an Imbel gear receiver that I anger-purchased at The Armory a bunch of years ago after a particularly vicious assault weapon ban hearing in Annapolis.

Sent it off to AZEX for some tweaking and refinishing and it's a hoss now.

Chews anything I feed it, and ejects brass 20 feet to the side so it can also block any flanking maneuvers :lol2:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I think the TA-11 (3.5X) ACOG is perfect for the FAL. First, it has good eye relief, which is important for a 7.62x51 rifle. Second, it keeps the FAL light and handy. Third, as you said, it is not a precision rifle, but the ACOG will definitely provide enough precision while still being bomb proof. I went with the "donut" reticle variant and like it a lot.

Here is mine on a DSA FAL para carbine I sold a while ago - I still use the ACOG on my SCAR17S though:

Nice - what drove you to the donut rather than the chevron? I never could get used to the horseshoe on the Vortex and was largely why I sold it.

The ACOGs I've shot on AKs and ARs had the chevrons and they were the bee's knees.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Nice - what drove you to the donut rather than the chevron? I never could get used to the horseshoe on the Vortex and was largely why I sold it.

The ACOGs I've shot on AKs and ARs had the chevrons and they were the bee's knees.

I felt like the donut was more intuitive as a red dot user with the BAC concept - of course I haven't run the rifles that way.

Also find it super simple - put the donut on the target and you will hit anything between 100 and 300 yards. That seemed perfect for the ranges I would typically use the FAL. You still zero with the tip of the donut at 100 (similar to the Chevron) and have the BDC so you can be pretty precise throughout the ranges. It is also smaller than the chevron (covers less of the target), and much smaller and simpler than the horseshoe.

But I think it is mostly personal preference.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    My Springfield Armory SAR-48 with a tight fitting dust cover with a Weaver 3-9X Tactical scope. For thirty-five years it's never failed and is more accurate than I can hold it...and I've never shot match ammunition from it...only M80 spec FMJ.
    SAR-48.jpg

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    Prefer the aimpoint with magnifier, very fast. ACOG's nice if you want to reach out. BTW, I have a used ELCAN here in the box, perfect condition but reticle no longer glows. I'll put it up in the market place this weekend if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_4921 (2).jpg
      IMG_4921 (2).jpg
      84 KB · Views: 175

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Going to wake up an old thread a bit

My old man wanted to find a SUIT optic for his. I'll be damned if the second table at Chantilly didn't have one for a good price. It came with the AR-style carry handle mount.

What mount have people used with success? This is an inch pattern L1A1.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I got a PTR-91 (HK-91 clone) before Oct 2013, but I really, really regret not also buying some sort of FAL at the same time. Happy with the PTR-91, but should have also got a FAL.

As for optics - I think these rifles were made to run with irons and that's what I use. My humble opinion; you want modern optics? Then get a modern rifle.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Blasphemy!!! The FAL will forever be the right arm of the Free World!!!!! It's an icon of the struggle against communism. That fight has now come to our shores and is raging in our midst. Every American should have an FAL, with or without optics!!! Magazines for everyone!!!!! Wolverines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya gotta excuse me.....I'm stuck in the 80's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom