• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I went to buy beef suet today for my mix. $2.49 a lb when they had 80% on sale for $2.80. Well duh, the fat just wasn't worth it to me anyway. I can just add deer to the 80%. :shrug:.

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I went to buy beef suet today for my mix. $2.49 a lb when they had 80% on sale for $2.80. Well duh, the fat just wasn't worth it to me anyway. I can just add deer to the 80%. :shrug:.

soo.
    If I understand you correctly, beef suet is beef fat? yes???

I go to my local butcher and get beef fat for less then $1 a pound???
    I generally use this for soap making, but...
    I am kind of pissed that they charge for unwanted fat, but heck, GO capitalism.

are you over paying?? Just trying to help out.

D:cool:

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    soo.

I’ve noticed over the past few months that chunks of unwanted fat are hidden under lean cuts of meat I buy at my local giant. Also, ground beef with less than 15% fat is rarely available. Are beef cattle getting fatter or are retail outlets squeezing a few extra pennies out of their products?

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013

Thanks, fidelity!

For what it's worth, I've got a few of the Outdoor Research masks (the regular kit, in the second link, not the adrenaline kit) and they're my favorite mask, by far.

The basic mask fits my face well, is super comfortable, and is easy to breathe through. Adding the filter slightly affects the breathability, but I don't find it to be very noticeable.

Fit can be adjusted using the metal strip on the bridge of the nose, and the silicone sliders on the earloops, which are very comfortable, because they're thin, smooth elastic.

The only negative I've experienced is that the filters aren't enclosed in a full pocket, but are instead retained using small pockets on the left and right ends of the mask, where the earloops are attached. Due to the shape of the mask, and because there aren't any filter retention points in the middle of the mask (near the nose/mouth), the filter can sometimes shift, causing its material to become visible outside of the mask.

It's more of an aesthetic issue, and doesn't really seem to affect anything other than the neatness of your appearance. But, figured it might be worth sharing.

I think that, protection-wise, TYR Tactical's Huron DLV mask has a better filter, and seals quite tightly, due to the flexible metal strip they use, and the cord-locks' ability to cinch things down tightly. However, the DLV takes longer to don and doff, because it isn't an earloop-style mask.

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/featured-products/huron-dlv-soft-face-mask/

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I’ve noticed over the past few months that chunks of unwanted fat are hidden under lean cuts of meat I buy at my local giant. Also, ground beef with less than 15% fat is rarely available. Are beef cattle getting fatter or are retail outlets squeezing a few extra pennies out of their products?

I've noticed the same, but there seems to be a seasonal correlation that I've noticed. At least at the local Martin's or Weis over the last few years, the sub 15% grounds tend to be available in the spring and summer, and are pretty much non-existent in colder months. Curious as to cause. More ground getting used in the summer months = a bigger demand, and therefore more options?

Regardless, I's assume it has less to do with fatter cattle than it does with less willingness to take the extra time to trim the fat before the meat is ground.

Last edited:

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore

about 2 weeks ago i purchased some whole beef lengths from Costco, and to me it seemed that there was a ton of fat in the package.

since i make soap, i rendered out the fat and got way more than a pound of fat out of the package.

to me, something is going on.

look carefully at the package. if it doesnt not seem right to you, simply do not purchase it.

I took the risk, because i can use all of the material.
    other wise, in my mind, it would have been a poor purchase.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    soo.

Yes 2 fiddy for FAT which I passed on. bought ground chuck for $2.80 same store........ no brainer in my book.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va

Local Food City wouldn't sell me their fat a couple weeks ago. He said stand by for a beef shortage because of T-day increase of virus. Meat packers were going to get sick so they were keeping their fat to make ground.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Local Food City wouldn't sell me their fat a couple weeks ago. He said stand by for a beef shortage because of T-day increase of virus. Meat packers were going to get sick so they were keeping their fat to make ground.

Note to self—never buy ground beef from Food City. This coming from a guy that worked in the grocery business for 15 years. Food City is probably still making their ground beef from scratch at store level. Giant Food and others have gotten away from that. It comes in either prepackaged or in large chubs that they just do a final grind of. The bacteria level and fat content is guaranteed by the supplier assuming nothing is added to it. Giant Food is doing very little meat cutting in the stores anymore. The grocery stores also sell their trimmings to a processor that picks it up several times a week. They make makeup amongst other stuff out of it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

For what it's worth, I've got a few of the Outdoor Research masks (the regular kit, in the second link, not the adrenaline kit) and they're my favorite mask, by far.

I think that, protection-wise, TYR Tactical's Huron DLV mask has a better filter, and seals quite tightly, due to the flexible metal strip they use, and the cord-locks' ability to cinch things down tightly. However, the DLV takes longer to don and doff, because it isn't an earloop-style mask.

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/featured-products/huron-dlv-soft-face-mask/

Thanks for the firsthand perspective and additional information!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Giant Food is doing very little meat cutting in the stores anymore. The grocery stores also sell their trimmings to a processor that picks it up several times a week. They make makeup amongst other stuff out of it.

Maybe their ground beef won't have so much WATER in it now. I stopped buying it from them a couple of years ago because I couldn't stand seeing so much water cook out of it when it warmed up. Ground beef from other stores doesn't have 15% or more water cook out when you cook it. Fat, sure, its supposed to have fat, but when you see as much water boil off before the fat runs - you are being cheated.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    We came out of Church yesterday to find a flat tire , So rolled up the sleeves and changed it. But I started thinking about how I should be able to fix (Plug) a tire myself. I used to do it working at a real gas station back in the dawn of time when they would fix cars there.
    So today I went to the parts store and outfitted myself with all I needed to fix them. Hadn't thought about a flat tire or had one in something like 20 years.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    We came out of Church yesterday to find a flat tire , So rolled up the sleeves and changed it. But I started thinking about how I should be able to fix (Plug) a tire myself. I used to do it working at a real gas station back in the dawn of time when they would fix cars there.
    So today I went to the parts store and outfitted myself with all I needed to fix them. Hadn't thought about a flat tire or had one in something like 20 years.
    I usually plug mine right on the car, assuming i catch it while there is still air in it and a seal.

I know you're supposed to have them patched from the inside but honestly I've never had a problem with a plug failing.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines

I keep one of these plug sets in each car. It pays for itself after one use.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000ET525K?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Those things are awesome! I have not changed a flat in years. I move the car till I find it, pull the nail, screw, plug and a small compressor and fill it up.
    Gone are my days of taking a tire off and putting on a donut.

Until a 1.5" crack appears in your sidewall without warning. Happened to me about 5 weeks ago. Tire was properly inflated and no signs of damage, but was on the car when I bought it so may have seen misuse at some point.

The plug kits are great and everyone should carry a set, because they are such an easy, quick fix. But... keep in mind they can't fix everything.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Until a 1.5" crack appears in your sidewall without warning. Happened to me about 5 weeks ago. Tire was properly inflated and no signs of damage, but was on the car when I bought it so may have seen misuse at some point.

The plug kits are great and everyone should carry a set, because they are such an easy, quick fix. But... keep in mind they can't fix everything.

*****The above is of course true - nothing can fix everything, but a plug kit can fix the majority of issues related to nails, or screws that get caught in a tire and cause slow leaks, or a flat.

My non-beater car has run flat tires but I still use a plug kit and a little compressor to pump things up as the car did not come with a spare.

I have the typical t-handled ones with the bacon looking strips and glue for home use but have the Dynaplug kit like the one below in all of my cars. The plugs work great, and are much easier to put in IME than the T-handle ones, and there is no glue to dry out or make a mess, etc... Bigger holes may require more than one plug but most will be fine with one. They are more expensive than the other typical glue and t-handle kits but not having to get towed back, or jack up a car to swap in a spare is worth it to me, along with not fussing about with glue. The adhesive is built into the plug itself when you pull the tool out.

Anyway, both work fine, but having used both I find that the Dynaplug is easier to use for many typical small screws and nails.

Attachments

• dyna.jpg
      dyna.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 268

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Actually, I fixed a problem like this as a kid. I was out running errands for my grandfather, the sidewall ran across a rock and slit the side. Pulled out the patch kit and stuffed about 6 - 8 of them doubled up, and used all of the rubber cement. Let it set for a bit, and then limped back his place where we changed the tire (he kept used tires from others as spares).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom