• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    So more specifically I'm looking more in the way of barrels. I've been trying to sell my shotgun for months and have more or less given up on the idea and decided to try to customize it to better suite the purpose I originally bought it for, home defense. So I've been search for a shorter barrel to fit it or a cheap one to have professionally cut down to what I want (18-22in or as short as legally possible). The current barrel is literally brand new so I'd rather not cut it down plus it's a good length for hunting. I've checked the normal spots I can think of (here, armslist and gun broker) and though I've had some luck finding 12ga barrels I don't really know enough to figure out if it would fit. The major hang up is that it's a bit of an off brand, it's a french copy of an older model Remington 870, it say "Action made in france"under the frame but everything I've gathered on it says it was made by a company called Manufrance Rapid.

Question summary:
    1. Does anyone have any other suggestions of where I might be able to find a cheap or short 12ga barrel?
    2. Is there enough difference between manufacturers to actually worry about finding the correct barrel or do I just need to make sure the gauge is right?
    3. Would just a regular remington 870 barrel fit it?
    4. Is there anything specific I would need to know to match a barrel to this shotgun.

Any other advice on switching out the original barrel is much appreciated.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes, I've had it up on Armslist for a good while, I also posted about it here a few times trying to get help in identifying it and figuring out what it might be worth. Original I was trying to sell it along with the case and ammo, as well as above what i actually wanted, hoping someone would make an offer for it. After a few months of sitting I dropped the price closer to what I actually wanted for the shotgun plus the case and ammo. I recently posted it again without the ammo included, so I could drop the price even lower, as well as opened the option to trade it. Though I've had a few bites on it, either they don't have the money for it right then or they try to talk me lower then what I'm willing to go on it. So as I said I've more or less given up on selling it and want to put a shorter barrel on it so it's better suited to home defense then hunting like it is now (current barrel is 27in). Why do you ask?

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    You bought it for defense with a 27” barrel? But you don’t want to cut it? Why? I’m guessing you have too much money in it and can’t sell it for what you have in it because it’s a knockoff that people aren’t familiar with.

Knockoff 870’s are so cheap just buy another one or buy an actual used Remington 870. Then either keep yours for hunting (assuming you do) or consign it somewhere. I recommend United if you’re near them. Good Luck.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If you can't find a barrel your only real options are:

Leave it as-is for hunting...
    Have the barrel cut down and recrowned and a front sight installed, or...
    The best option is to leave it as-is and buy a dedicated home defense shotgun.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Get connected with someone local to you with an 870 and see if the barrels are a match. If its a match start calling the pawn shops to see if they have a used 870 smooth bore used barrel.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    You bought it for defense with a 27” barrel? But you don’t want to cut it? Why? I’m guessing you have too much money in it and can’t sell it for what you have in it because it’s a knockoff that people aren’t familiar with.

Knockoff 870’s are so cheap just buy another one or buy an actual used Remington 870. Then either keep yours for hunting (assuming you do) or consign it somewhere. I recommend United if you’re near them. Good Luck.

Didn't really think about the longer barrel at the time I purchased it because the house I lived in at the time had a fairly open floor plan, the house I live in now isn't like that. From what I've found its a fairly rare copy,noted for the level of quality, but as you said it's not a well known one. The few I've found have actually been prices the same or higher and aren't in as good condition. I don't want to cut the barrel down because it's practically brand new (new old stock when I got it, fired it 4-5times), I don't see the point of cutting down a new barrel, rather get a cheap one or beat up barrel and cut it down.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Given the value you place on that shotgun, you'd probably be better off trying to hunt down an additional dedicated home defense shotgun. If you ever have to use it for that purpose, who knows what condition the police would give it back to you in...if they ever give it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom