• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thank you for all of the information. It gives me something’s to think about.
    Some of the bags I have seen have a foam piece that you slide your guns in, are the bags “rugs” better?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQQZ2RC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1H9C5WYP4XZPR&psc=1

Or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JCGF6FX/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2CJHLJ4VPE9KD&psc=1

Thanks
    Mike

Good thing about the "rugs", they aren't bag specific and can be used anywhere, in anything.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    I would just go a few times and see what you want after that. Most pistols come in a plastic case. You can easily throw 2-3 in a backpack. Take 2 backpacks if needed.
    Eyes, ears and a hat and your good to go. Agree with the comments on a shirt with a tight fitting collar. Hot brass down a shirt is not good.
    After that you will have a better idea of what you are looking for. It might end up being nothing.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I don’t take the plastic boxes pistol are sold in to the range. Its extra bulk and inflates space actually needed. I use cut sections of rifle socks or soft case.

My first real shooting BAG was to Dillon blue range bag. I’ve bought several different makes, kinds and types for different types of range visits. Some bags will have a couple soft cases. A good starter bag is available at Walmart. Its a good starter type to feel your way into one’s personal needs for not too much money. Its $34 I think. 4 exterior pockets, 2 on sides each with soft case, 2 on ends. There are two interior pockets. I easily carry four hand guns, ammo, small tools I typically use and shooting gear. Yes, its a little heavy.

Get inexpensive backpacks/bookbags for the kids to carry their hearing protectors and glasses, and snacks if so desired. That will eliminate bulk and give them buy in to doing their part...they like it anyway. I even had my son carry his soft cased Criket. He liked “carrying my gun”. He never carried ammo.

My 32+ year old Dillon bag has held seven handguns and ammo, gear, etc. which once went almost seventy pounds. typical loaded weight for range days was 40 - 55 pounds. That is not what I carried in a match...LOL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Doesn't matter. Who knows. Sometimes I'll throw 7 pistols in a bag and roll out the door.

Someone MAY need to lube a pistol while at the range.

Some pistols need more juice than others.
    Need me to give a few more reason for someone to keep some lube in their bags?

More guns, less rounds per gun in a session, so less need for additional lube.

I was just wondering, as I have never had to lube a firearm during a session.

But a small bottle of lube is not a huge deal to carry around.

You will may need it if you are shooting with Teratos. :D

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020

Attachments

• CF79662B-32C9-4CD6-A439-9722C0FAA540.jpg
      CF79662B-32C9-4CD6-A439-9722C0FAA540.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 324
    I have used one of these for years https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Tactical-Range-Ready-Bag/dp/B000JWD04W/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=5.11+Range+Bag&qid=1602804333&sr=8-3.

Its a dedicated range bag so its always set to go and I can add or subject as needed based on the number of people shooting.

My only other suggestions are if youre going to do this alot invest in good gear. Good doesnt necessarily mean super expensive, but get a decent set of electronic ear pro like Howard Leights https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Amplification-Electronic/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_2?crid=4MQGYKAV0WSZ&dchild=1&keywords=howard+leight+impact+sport+electronic+earmuff&qid=1602804632&sprefix=howard+lei%2Caps%2C271&sr=8-2

And a good pair of eye pro with changeable lenses for non prescription wearing shooters. I tend to like shooting yellow lenses in lower light ranges and darker lenses outdoors https://www.amazon.com/ESS-Eyewear-Cross-Crossbow-740-0387/dp/B0042F3JCK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=100173WHEQUTZ&dchild=1&keywords=ess+eyewear&qid=1602804709&sprefix=ess+%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-1

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I stopped using gun rugs. Neoprene iPad or tablet cases are slimmer and work fine.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've been using an MTM Sportsman's box for the range. It's ok, but with the way it's set up, on top of it being a hard case and not having partitions in the bottom portion of the case, I find that it's not exactly ideal for taking handguns to the range. I did some looking online and on Amazon, but that's a maze of futility. I figured I'd use the search feature here - that's not much better.

I think I'm going to have to take the plunge on something that reviews well and maybe has support from an article or two (Pew Pew Tactical seems to be a good source of information) and see where that gets me. I just want something that's big enough to take 2-3 pistols, ammo, mags, and a container for my spent brass, plus eye and ear protection for 2 people. Might check out tool bags too - they seem to offer a lot of capability for the money, particularly since they aren't marketed for the shooting community.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I've been using an MTM Sportsman's box for the range. It's ok, but with the way it's set up, on top of it being a hard case and not having partitions in the bottom portion of the case, I find that it's not exactly ideal for taking handguns to the range. I did some looking online and on Amazon, but that's a maze of futility. I figured I'd use the search feature here - that's not much better.

I think I'm going to have to take the plunge on something that reviews well and maybe has support from an article or two (Pew Pew Tactical seems to be a good source of information) and see where that gets me. I just want something that's big enough to take 2-3 pistols, ammo, mags, and a container for my spent brass, plus eye and ear protection for 2 people. Might check out tool bags too - they seem to offer a lot of capability for the money, particularly since they aren't marketed for the shooting community.

Take a look at the 5.11 range bag, I bought one about 8 years ago and it’s tough as nails. My usual load out is 3-5 handguns, ammo, mags, a few tools, copies of paperwork for suppressors, staple gun for targets and I still have room for more if I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Take a look at the 5.11 range bag, I bought one about 8 years ago and it’s tough as nails. My usual load out is 3-5 handguns, ammo, mags, a few tools, copies of paperwork for suppressors, staple gun for targets and I still have room for more if I need it.

I second that. I've got an older 5.11 range bag that isn't on their website anymore but it's very well made.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD

I purchased 2 of these on one of their sales and couldn't be happier.

What happened to guys posting their coupon codes?

jfinlay

Sep 18, 2012

Ditto

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    My suggestions

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.54.32 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.54.32 PM.jpg
      69.1 KB · Views: 162
    • Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.55.21 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.55.21 PM.jpg
      68.8 KB · Views: 166
    • Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.58.14 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.58.14 PM.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 165

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm still looking at various things - the 5.11 bag looks huge, but it looks like more bag than I'd want most of the time, although it definitely looks functional and people seem to swear by it.

Looking at tool bags....dunno - I like the idea of a purpose designed range bag, mad specifically for that task, rather than something else that was adapted for a purpose it wasn't specifically designed for.

The Osage River range bags seem to get good press, but maybe just a bit flimsy?

The bag that has caught my attention that seems to fall kind of in the middle of everything else is the Orca Tactical Range Bag. It seems to hit the sweet spot for someone like me who is mostly (at present living in Central Maryland anyway) a handgun shooter who goes to indoor ranges. It's big enough to carry 3-4 pistols plus ammo, tools, ear protection, eye protection, etc. It also seems to be pretty well made and is priced competitively.

I'll have to do some looking here on the forum to see if anyone else is using one and how they review it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom