• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I'm still looking at various things - the 5.11 bag looks huge, but it looks like more bag than I'd want most of the time, although it definitely looks functional and people seem to swear by it.

It's kinda like buying a gun safe, they seem to shrink over the years. :lol2:

I'd personally rather have enough space to carry whatever I needed versus having to cherry pick because the range bag is too small. My 5.11 has a shoulder strap, carrying it jam packed isn't a problem for me. Good luck...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

I'd personally rather have enough space to carry whatever I needed versus having to cherry pick because the range bag is too small. My 5.11 has a shoulder strap, carrying it jam packed isn't a problem for me. Good luck...
    The Smith & Wesson bag looks like it's almost a copy of the 5.11 bag - I'm looking for reviews on that one.

This is kind of fun, but ultimately the best way, as with anything else, is to actually get your hands on it to try it out yourself.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    This is what goes in my range bag but everyone is different.

1. Foam ear plugs
    2. Electronic hearing protection
    3. Safety glasses
    4. Uplula mag loader
    5. Target pasties
    6. Sharpie
    7. Targets
    8. Little bottle of gun oil (CLP)
    9. Multitool
    10. Dummy rounds
    11. Stapler
    12. Trauma kit

I keep loaded mags in a separate bag, and then the handguns in a hard case.

Really just depends on where you're shooting and what type of guns you're shooting.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Range bags are like holsters.

You need different ones at different times for different trips to the range.

I have several, some are packed for rifle shooting. Others for other use. And one smaller one, I toss a few things in for a quick range trip.

Again, my recommendation is look around. Find one that looks good, and get it. And it may be great. But you may see one that would be better. Get it

If you end up with any that don't work for you, sell them. They may work for someone else

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Range bags are like holsters.

You need different ones at different times for different trips to the range.

I have several, some are packed for rifle shooting. Others for other use. And one smaller one, I toss a few things in for a quick range trip.

Again, my recommendation is look around. Find one that looks good, and get it. And it may be great. But you may see one that would be better. Get it

If you end up with any that don't work for you, sell them. They may work for someone else
    I figure at some point I'll wind up with a couple of different bags for different reasons. Right now I'm looking the single-most versatile bag - sort of a buy-once-cry-once proposition.

I've narrowed it down to 2:

The Orca Bag mentioned above:
    https://www.orcatacticalgear.com/co...-gun-and-ammo-shooting-range-duffel-bag-black

The Smith & Wesson Bag, which for all intents and purposes seems to be a pretty faithful, less expensive copy of the 5.11 bag:
    https://store.smith-wesson.com/shoo...fficer-tactical-range-bag/110023.html#start=1

These look pretty danged similar to me. They both have the pull-out bag and the drawstring brass bag.

S&W:

110023-mood-inside%20front%20pocket-mag%20pouch%20preview-callouts.jpg

5.11 Bag:

224490.jpg

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I just use a large Timbuktu messenger bag. Throw all my stuff in there and clean it out when I get home.

I don't like bags that look tactical. Best to be low key.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One thing to remember, if you get a large bag with lots of room, you WILL fill it up. And then may be unable to lift it. :D

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    One thing to remember, if you get a large bag with lots of room, you WILL fill it up. And then may be unable to lift it. :D
    I’ve been reading articles, watching videos, and trying to figure out how big of a bag I want to get.

I typically take:

1-3 pistols
    Plenty of ammo for those pistols - usually at least 100 rounds each
    Magazines for those pistols - usually 2 each
    Eye protection, sometimes x2
    Ear protection, sometimes x2
    Container for spent brass
    A couple of other things - screwdriver, target stickers...

The search continues...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

This. I’ve carried mine with 2 handguns and ammo and plenty of free space, I’ve also had it loaded with 5 handguns, three suppressors, boxes of ammo, and magazines and have it weigh 40+ pounds and never an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You may want to consider two smaller ones for more flexibility.

When using both, one can be firearms and protective equipment and the other for the ammo.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have been using a Blackhawk! duffle bag I have been using since 2002 to throw my crap in. Guns, etc.... and I use this DeWalt storage case to divide up different ammo and with the adjustable inserts, can make room for small tools, militec, etc...
    1 bag is too heavy for ammo and stuff.

Attachments

• storage.jpg
      storage.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 187

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You’ve had that bag for awhile. I’ve had my blue Dillon since the early 90’s, don’t recall exactly. I have stitched up ripped seams more than a couple times.

Actually I got it in 2001 to take with me to Air Marshal training. I literally hate the bag because as long as I've had it, the cordura/nylon-ish material is almost just as stiff as when it was new.
    I don't need a dedicated range bag because my pistols aren't safe queens. I just throw them in there, maybe zip them up in a "rug" if I can find them.
    Dang bag probably cost 35 bucks back then. I dunno.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Orca Tactical Gun Range Bag for Handguns, Pistols and Ammo - Duffle Carrier Stores and Protects 3+ Firearms Safely - Transport Shooting Range Equipment - Designed for 2020 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1JX9ZB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_8tZ9FbWGEQ00Z

This is what I’ve used for a few years now. Great bag.

I’ve fit 4 handguns, ammo, a basic tool kit, and 3 sets of compact ear muffs without issue

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Orca Tactical Gun Range Bag for Handguns, Pistols and Ammo - Duffle Carrier Stores and Protects 3+ Firearms Safely - Transport Shooting Range Equipment - Designed for 2020 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1JX9ZB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_8tZ9FbWGEQ00Z

This is what I’ve used for a few years now. Great bag.

I’ve fit 4 handguns, ammo, a basic tool kit, and 3 sets of compact ear muffs without issue
    This is the kind of information that seems to always be missing from reviews. I watch video reviews, but the most people will pull out is one set of ear-pro and eye-pro. I typically double that up. It's nice to see that the bag is big enough to do that I just picked up two sets of Walker Razor electronic earmuffs, and they're fairly compact.

I'm still on the fence between the Orca bag and the Smith & Wesson bag - the S&W is basically a clone of the 5.11 bag, but I think that 90% of the time it will be too much, especially if it's just me going to the range.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So after a good bit of analysis paralysis, I finally ordered a range bag. I really thought hard about getting the Orca Bag, but at the end of the day I wanted to be sure that I had enough room, and I wasn't sure the Orca bag was going to provide that.

My next options were the Midway USA Competition Range bag or the 5.11 bag. The former was $70, but a few days ago they were still out of stock in either of the two colors I would have wanted, (black/olive drab) and the 5.11 bag is $100. I'm not cheap, but I went with option "c."

Smith & Wesson M&P Officer Tactical Range Bag. $72.

From what I can see, like the Midway USA Bag, this is essentially a copy of the 5.11 bag. I just pulled it out of the box and gave it a once-over. The padding is good and it seems to be pretty well made, and since it's a clone of the 5.11 bag, it has most of the features of the other two such as the fold down mat to lay guns on, all of the mag holders, the spent brass bag, padded pistol sleeves that pull out, the entire inner bag that pulls out with the Velcro partitions - it looks like a pretty nice setup. It's big, but it doesn't come across as being too big - it would be if it was any bigger though.

I think I made a good choice - I like how the bag is set up - I can fit more than what I need - ear protection x2, (or more) eye protection x2, (or more), 4 pistols easily - more if I really needed, plenty of ammo, tools, mags....

I'll post pictures later with a couple of pistols and accessories to give a bit of a scale for size.

Ilexopaca

Mar 4, 2012
    I just want to reiterate some of the things in this thread that are good ideas:

- Bring some earplugs in addition to earphone type hearing protection.

- Throw some chamber flags into your bag.

- If your firearms have accessories attached bring hex keys etc.

Also, I use an incognito bag... If you look around Home Depot at the various "toolbox" type bags. They work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom