• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/maryland/larry-hogan-gun-reform-laws/65-2f8c0f5a-0e64-4cf3-9692-c610d5313081

When I saw the headline I thought "Here we go, time for Hogan to screw us".
    Reading the story I was pleasantly surprised.

The Governor brought up the Baltimore carnage in the State of the State address and promoted some new laws:
    "More than 1,000 people were shot on the streets of Baltimore City last year," Hogan elaborated. "348 people were killed. Another 60 people have been shot, and 23 people killed, just in the 29 days since this legislative session began."

In an effort to help curb those grim numbers in Maryland -- which he called an urgent crisis -- Hogan highlighted various gun reform movements in his address:

The Violent Firearm Offenders Act aims to increase the penalties for those who illegally possess and commit crimes with guns, including convicted gang members.
    Repeat Firearms Offenders Act of 2019, which will increase the minimum sentence to ten years for repeat offenders who use a gun to commit a violent crime
    Judicial Transparency Act of 2019, which will require the Maryland State Commission on Criminal Sentencing Policy to publish detailed, judge-by-judge information on the actual sentences that are handed down for violent crimes across the state.

So some laws that actually address criminal activity! Not a huge Hogan fan, but I have to give him kudos for this. I love the Judicial Transparency Act!

Of course, the subtitle of the story is how easy it is to buy a weapon without a background check and there's more about mom demanding action Andrea Chamblee than what the Governor actually said. :rolleyes: Can't miss a chance to advance the agenda!

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/maryland/larry-hogan-gun-reform-laws/65-2f8c0f5a-0e64-4cf3-9692-c610d5313081

When I saw the headline I thought "Here we go, time for Hogan to screw us".
    Reading the story I was pleasantly surprised.

The Governor brought up the Baltimore carnage in the State of the State address and promoted some new laws:

So some laws that actually address criminal activity! Not a huge Hogan fan, but I have to give him kudos for this. I love the Judicial Transparency Act!

Of course, the subtitle of the story is how easy it is to buy a weapon without a background check and there's more about mom demanding action Andrea Chamblee than what the Governor actually said. :rolleyes: Can't miss a chance to advance the agenda!

Except, those charges are constantly dropped or the sentences are suspended. So it doesn't actually do anything.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    Is there any evidence that harsh mandatory minimums do anything to deter criminal activity? Everything I’ve seen says they don’t. I see a lot of you propose this as a solution, can you drop some knowledge on me (with sources preferably).

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Is there any evidence that harsh mandatory minimums do anything to deter criminal activity? Everything I’ve seen says they don’t. I see a lot of you propose this as a solution, can you drop some knowledge on me (with sources preferably).

If they're in jail, they're not on the streets committing more crime. That's good enough for me.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Deterrence, maybe or maybe not. But keeping repeat offenders locked up - yes! They cannot be released to commit more crimes. Most violent crimes are committed by a small number of generally repeat offenders.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    IIRC years ago there was a Federal program in Richmond called "Project Exile" if a person was convicted of using a firearm in the commission of a felony there was three years in Federal prison mandatory, no if's ands or butt's.

Crime dropped substantially but the libs cried foul and it went away

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Judicial transparency starts with the SA office being held accountable for charges and plea reductions.

Would love to see stats, by employee for

Charges filed - total penalties
    Charges prosecuted - total penalties
    Conviction - penalties levied

Wouldn’t be perfect but would shine a bright light on the role the SA office plays in the repeat offender revolving door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Catch and Release needs to end. High time "the judges" and "the prosecutors" had actual names, and for the public they serve to be able to apply the scrutiny and the oversight that they've clearly demonstrated they so desperately need.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    IIRC years ago there was a Federal program in Richmond called "Project Exile" if a person was convicted of using a firearm in the commission of a felony there was three years in Federal prison mandatory, no if's ands or butt's.

Crime dropped substantially but the libs cried foul and it went away

Yep. 5 years actually, and no early release.

Rochester NY still uses Project Exile. Gone nowadays most other places.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I don't trust Hogan. When he gave his state of the state address, he used the words "common sense", that is the tell of who's side he is on.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member

People in jail rarely kill people on the streets

Problem is that judges seem to think "mandatory" sentence means "discretionary early parole"

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    It seems to me that targeting repeat offenders may actually have a chance to reduce violent crime. There would be data after a couple of years to prove or disprove any effect.

It can't possibly be less effective than restricting the law abiding.

I hate when they say "common sense", but in this case there might be a little of it applied.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Very true, but I wanted to know if there was any argument in support of deterrence.

honestly, who the f cares? get and keep the actual bad guys off the streets and crime has to go down. and while perhaps not measurable, surely there will be a little deterrence when folks see that crime is actually met with punishment.

but even if it is proven there is zero deterrence, i still want seriously harsh and long penalties to get and keep violent offenders off our streets.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Except, those charges are constantly dropped or the sentences are suspended. So it doesn't actually do anything.
    Is there data on dropped charges out there? I feel like a better case could be made to the public if we could say "hey, in 80% of cases ending with a conviction, this particular charge gets dropped"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom