• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    Hi there - lost my edc which was a spyderco delica with an emerson wave. It was a terrific knife (great price point) and I am set on getting another spyderco. Willing to spend up to $175 range. My knife will need to deal with baling twine, plants, mud, guts/fur, wood, etc. so I am trying to find one that is not “pretty” or a collectible but a solid folder made in usa. The delica was great because it was light and easily cleaned. Don’t need the wave although it was super handy. Heard the para line was a good choice, but since there is a lot of knowledge here on the forum I thought I should take advantage of it and get some solid recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I never bought into the Spyderco hype, thought it was just fan boys banter. That was until I bought a fairly cheap Tenacious. So far it does everything you asked, it replaced my Griptillian for EDC.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or 3 would serve you well, though they make a lot of really nice knives. Just make sure you are equipped to sharpen whichever blade steel you end up going with and you’ll be happy with most any of their American made offerings.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    I carried a Spyderco Delica with serrated edge for 15yrs. Its still sharp and lives in my car console. I replaced it with a black Spyderco Rescue serrated with the blunt tip. My use was on boats and the sharp tip was dangerous if the boat was moving. Still carry it often, but too large for my work carry.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Hi there - lost my edc which was a spyderco delica with an emerson wave. It was a terrific knife (great price point) and I am set on getting another spyderco. Willing to spend up to $175 range. My knife will need to deal with baling twine, plants, mud, guts/fur, wood, etc. so I am trying to find one that is not “pretty” or a collectible but a solid folder made in usa. The delica was great because it was light and easily cleaned. Don’t need the wave although it was super handy. Heard the para line was a good choice, but since there is a lot of knowledge here on the forum I thought I should take advantage of it and get some solid recommendations.

Your prayer is answered.. Have one, recommend

https://bladeops.com/spyderco-para-military-2-emerson-opener-satin-plainedge-exclusive/

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I’ve been seriously looking at the PM3 with the FRN scales. I like grippy scales on my EDC stuff. Good blade steel and nice size for me.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I love my PM2 and carry it regularly in the fall/winter, but I personally don't have a lot of confidence in it for heavy duty work. The tip seems too delicate to me.

On a side note - probably not what you're looking for, but my favorite knife is the Spyderco Salt. The H1 steel is pretty soft though, so it's not the best for cutting zip ties, etc. but it's the perfect size IMO and the fact that I never have to worry about corrosion when I'm on the water (or sweat when I'm in the woods) is a big plus for me. The FRN scales are very lightweight too!

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I seem to always go back to Para 3 as EDC. I’m going to try a Shaman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got on a Spyderco kick during the pandemic. Bought a Manix2 and Para2 out the gate and quickly fell for the PM2. It's been clipped to my pants pockets for the last 5-6 months. Really have found a preference for the Spyderco compression lock like on the PM2, as it's on the back between the scales out of the way and keeps your digits out of the path of a closing blade.

I finally found a new Shaman at a decent price on eBay after lusting after it for 4-5 months and the first noticeable thing was how heavy as a brick it feels compared to the PM2. Haven't even carried it once.

If you don't want a new knife, you can find used ones here.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Knife_Swap/
    The sprint ones or customized ones will be $$$, but you could find a used stock PM2 for $100 or less including shipping or less depending on the condition. (there is a A,B,C,D rating assigned by the seller and pictures posted to see condition.)

4rcefedmkiv

Aug 6, 2010
    Arnold, MD
    Great choice. If you want something similar to the wave feature, Wise Men Company offers something they call a fang for the para 2. I have one with their signet ring as well. Nice little setup.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    You can't go wrong with the pm2. or pm3. And with all the sprint runs constantly being released, it's easy to find one in your favorite color and blade steel as well. I probably have 15 different versions. Love them.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The Para 2 is their gold standard, comfy handle, good lock, smooth action, good steels, and a really useful blade shape. Only downside is that it's a really large handle for the blade size, and the tip can be delicate.

The Para 3 has the same thick blade steel, and actually a slightly stronger tip, stock clip makes it ride really high in the pocket.

The Sage 5 IMO is a better design, a little thinner, still tough, still great ergos, but lends itself better to jobs appropriate for it's size. Para 3 lightweight and the Sage 5 lightweight are probably the most knife you can get under 3" and 3oz.

If you get in with spyderco groups on facebook or elsewhere, people are selling and trading constantly, can get some decent deals if you are looking for sprints runs and exotic steels. Also, the wave is cool, have a few Emersons with it, but learn to "spydie flick" with your middle finger as you draw it, pretty much as fast, but won't open by itself every time you pull the knife.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    The new para2 arrived today and first thoughts: much larger than expected, amazingly light (a plus), excellent fit and finish, and really fits the hand well. Plus, the emerson wave is on the blade. Very very happy with this guy.
    0f65362498424a830fc4e2401e04064c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom