Glock 43 Hollow-point round recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoldenAcorn

Jun 23, 2020
    Looking for carry ammo recommendations specifically for the Glock 43. The cost of hollow point rounds are expensive so I do not have the ability to test multiple brands.

Anyone carry a Glock 43 that has thoroughly tested a specific hollow point round?

Did some research online but could not find anything.

Thank you

SmokeEETR

MSI Executive Member
    Jan 24, 2013
    Harford County
    Looking for carry ammo recommendations specifically for the Glock 43. The cost of hollow point rounds are expensive so I do not have the ability to test multiple brands.

Anyone carry a Glock 43 that has thoroughly tested a specific hollow point round?

Did some research online but could not find anything.

Thank you
    Federal HST

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm no expert, but I think Fiocchi 124 Grain Hornady XTP Jacketed Hollow Point is good for short battled 9 pistols.
    I tried 4 or 5 different types and settled on that for Walther PPS. Similar to the 43.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I run Hornady Critical Defense 115g in my 43. I tried 135g but it didn’t like it. I try to run at least 500 rounds through it whenever I go to the range.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    What works in the 43 isn’t the same as the 19. Do research specific to gun due to barrel length.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I have not done ballistic gel testing, but from a function perspective I have experience with Critical Defense and Sig Sauer V-crown JHP. I can report no malfunctions and I've intentionally left mags of each in my car (in the heat and humidity) for months at a time and they still ran flawlessly out of my G43.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I'm not an expert in the field but I think this is an over thought topic. The chances of using your firearm for self-defense are small. The chances of using your firearm for self-defense and having the difference between winning or losing the fight come down to which hollow point you chose is even smaller.

I get that it was a bigger deal a couple decades ago because bullet technology wasn't quite what it is today. Shot placement is far more important than bullet selection. Pretty much anything from a reputable manufacturer is fine.

I used to sweat this stuff a lot and then I just realized that training and shot placement is more important than gear. I'm not suggesting running with FMJs, but if it's a hollow point from a reputable manufacturer, and it works, its probably fine.

Are + P rounds better on paper than standard pressure? Yes. I carried them for a while. Then when I started training a lot more I realize that even though I'm a somewhat experienced pistol shooter, my accuracy increased with standard pressure rounds. That +p makes a significant increase in recoil.

Now I run standard pressure 124 Federal HST and I practice with 124 grain ball. I would put hundreds of rounds of standard pressure ball for practice, and then every now and then when I shot my hollow points in +p, I realized it was like shooting a different gun.

I can't feel the difference in standard pressure vs +p as much in my G17 for instance, but my 43 or 43x? Oh yeah.

Pick a popular hollow point from a reputable manufacturer that you can find, make sure it works in your gun which it probably will, and you're good.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    This got me thinking about whether I should change the loads for my 43 and short barrel revolvers. Then I found this from Hodgdon.

"We often get this question. In asking, the customer is unsure if the different barrel length will necessitate a loading data change in the powder chosen. Let’s preface the answer with a quick guide on testing data.

All our data is tested for Pressure and Velocity with instrumented equipment as established by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI). The dimensions of the test equipment are established by SAAMI, both internal (such as chamber) and external such as barrel length. The barrel length is set based upon most popular usage. Rifle calibers are set at 24 inch barrels. Handgun calibers are set based upon the most common use at the time, i.e. a 45 Auto barrel is based upon the barrel length of a 1911, and a 38 Special barrel based upon a standard police issue revolver.

The first thing to remember is that the chamber dimension does not change based upon application. A 223 Remington chamber is the same whether the gun it is in is a handgun or a rifle. The chamber dimension determines the pressure. So, the pressure is the same when fired in that chamber in a rifle or a handgun. The barrel length has no impact on the chamber pressure and hence the reloading data (powder charge and pressure).

The length of the barrel will change the actual velocity you observe. In general as the barrel gets shorter than standard the velocity will lower, and as the barrel gets longer than standard the velocity will increase. This does not change the reload data (powder charge and pressure), just the velocity.

Please note that there is no magic number for how much velocity is lost or gained by changing barrel length. This is because cartridges go from big to small and use varying amounts of different burn speed propellants. The only way to know for sure what the effect is with your different barrel length is to shoot over a chronograph.

So, the quick answer to the question is that the different barrel length will not change the reload data but it will impact the velocity you get.

From Hodgdon site https://hodgdon.com/resources/how-to/tips-and-tricks-smokeless/

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    OP, do this. Great advice. :thumbsup:
    I'm not an expert in the field but I think this is an over thought topic. The chances of using your firearm for self-defense are small. The chances of using your firearm for self-defense and having the difference between winning or losing the fight come down to which hollow point you chose is even smaller.

I get that it was a bigger deal a couple decades ago because bullet technology wasn't quite what it is today. Shot placement is far more important than bullet selection. Pretty much anything from a reputable manufacturer is fine.

I used to sweat this stuff a lot and then I just realized that training and shot placement is more important than gear. I'm not suggesting running with FMJs, but if it's a hollow point from a reputable manufacturer, and it works, its probably fine.

Are + P rounds better on paper than standard pressure? Yes. I carried them for a while. Then when I started training a lot more I realize that even though I'm a somewhat experienced pistol shooter, my accuracy increased with standard pressure rounds. That +p makes a significant increase in recoil.

Now I run standard pressure 124 Federal HST and I practice with 124 grain ball. I would put hundreds of rounds of standard pressure ball for practice, and then every now and then when I shot my hollow points in +p, I realized it was like shooting a different gun.

I can't feel the difference in standard pressure vs +p as much in my G17 for instance, but my 43 or 43x? Oh yeah.

Pick a popular hollow point from a reputable manufacturer that you can find, make sure it works in your gun which it probably will, and you're good.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Speer Gold Dot or Hornady. Y'all over thinking short barrel v. longer barrel shots at 3,5,10 yard self defense shot distances should probably concentrate more on your shot training instead of ballistics to aid you with your shooting.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Basically what Aliasneo and Blaster said. I run 124gr standard pressure HSTs in most things from 3" pocket pistols to a HD AR9. It feeds in everything, is accurate with minimal muzzle blast, hits to point of aim, and feels like my 124gr FMJ practice loads. Going to a +p in short barrels give a lot more muzzle blast for little if any useable velocity increase, the HSTs expand reliably at lower velocities, and at least pre-pandemic 50rd boxes were about as inexpensive as a premium defensive round could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom